Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 10-28-2011, 08:13 PM
Target Shooter

Question Does drinking orange juice make your body acidic or alkaline?

Advertise Here

I am confused about the following.

I have read that orange juice makes your body alkaline, others say it makes it acidic.
I think on the Gerson therapy it is not even allowednot sure....
I think a freshly squeezed orange juice is full of nutrients, how can it be bad for you?

Also, if you are or if you have a done a veggie/juice fast, do you include it in your fasting menu?
What do you think are the benefits of drinking freshly squeezed orange juice?

Many thanks!
Cheers!
Old 10-28-2011, 09:03 PM
Research, Learn, Share

It delivers sugar to your bloodstream very fast. Sugar = acidic

I think that people who believe OJ metabolizes as alkaline may be thinking about the fact that it's a citrus fruit - like lemon juice which does have an alkaline effect on the blood after it's metabolized.

My doctor once told me that if he ran out of the glucose solution for glucose tolerance tests, he'd just give the person OJ to drink.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shorebird For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2011, 09:18 PM
Target Shooter

Question What about carrot juice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorebird View Post

I think that people who believe OJ metabolizes as alkaline may be thinking about the fact that it's a citrus fruit - like lemon juice which does have an alkaline effect on the blood after it's metabolized.

My doctor once told me that if he ran out of the glucose solution for glucose tolerance tests, he'd just give the person OJ to drink.

Thank you so much!

Would the same apply to carrot juice?
What about apple juice, freshly made as well?
However, in the Gerson therapy they drink a ton of carrot juice, but I do not think they drink orange juice...

The other day, I had an orange juice, later on a glass of carrot juice, then another carrot juice, I did not feel well...
they were all freshly made at home.

I wonder if this is what did Steve Jobs in, I think he spent a good deal of his life as a fruitarian? What do you think?

Thanks for your input!

Cheers!
Old 10-28-2011, 09:19 PM

Going to go with Acidic, but that's what I heard from youtube.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cannon Spike For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2011, 09:26 PM
Sundown dazzling day

Thanked 13,703 Times in 6,112 Posts

Before you buy into this, look at the "acidic" food that is seen as bad for you.

The bad list:

Lentils: Good for protein, low in fast carbs.
Olives: Has great fats in them.
Blueberries: One of the greatest source of vitamin C.
Cranberry: Good for fighting fungus in the mouth and bacteria in the urine.
Oats: Good for soluble fibers, the type of fiber that is actually better for your digestion than eating fibers with no calories (Which is basically non edible but very popular in our culture).
Spelt: The original wheat, which tastes awesome and is higher in proteins and lower in fast carbs.
Quinoa: Good replacement for gluten intolerance, and high in proteins, a false grain without gluten.
Beans: Great for proteins, different beans have slightly different vitamins so different types of beans could cover a lot of vitamin needs as well. And cheap food. Stores well.
Fish: Wild fish is good for omega 3 that is lacking in our diet, especially the fatty fish.
Flax: A good source of incomplete omega 3. Same there, lacking in our modern diet.
Coffee: Proven to delay onset of Alzheimer's.
Shrimp: Very low in fat and delicious, a good food to pig out on once in a while instead of sugary, fatty alternatives.

My personal view is that eating a varied diet is actually good, and cutting out sugars and not eating too much fat is a good thing, but that doesn't have much to do with the claims butter and sugar are acidic, but for other reasons.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to speedofl33t For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2011, 10:34 PM
Target Shooter

Thumbs up Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedofl33t View Post
Before you buy into this, look at the "acidic" food that is seen as bad for you.

The bad list:

Oats: Good for soluble fibers, the type of fiber that is actually better for your digestion than eating fibers with no calories (Which is basically non edible but very popular in our culture).
Spelt: The original wheat, which tastes awesome and is higher in proteins and lower in fast carbs.
Quinoa: Good replacement for gluten intolerance, and high in proteins, a false grain without gluten.
Beans: Great for proteins, different beans have slightly different vitamins so different types of beans could cover a lot of vitamin needs as well. And cheap food. Stores well.
Fish: Wild fish is good for omega 3 that is lacking in our diet, especially the fatty fish.
Flax: A good source of incomplete omega 3. Same there, lacking in our modern diet.
Shrimp: Very low in fat and delicious, a good food to pig out on once in a while instead of sugary, fatty alternatives.

My personal view is that eating a varied diet is actually good, and cutting out sugars and not eating too much fat is a good thing, but that doesn't have much to do with the claims butter and sugar are acidic, but for other reasons.
Thank you for this informative post!
Great info.!

Cheers!
Old 10-29-2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedofl33t View Post

The bad list:

I am kind of confused. Some of the foods you listed are more alkaline than acidic. I also don't know anyone who goes around saying Fish, Beans, Oats, Olives, Berries or Quinoa are bad for you. Most of the foods you listed are foods that have great nutritional value.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cannon Spike For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2011, 12:35 AM
I am His Willing Servant

Thanked 2,208 Times in 920 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo Gratias! View Post
Thank you so much!

Would the same apply to carrot juice?
What about apple juice, freshly made as well?
However, in the Gerson therapy they drink a ton of carrot juice, but I do not think they drink orange juice...

The other day, I had an orange juice, later on a glass of carrot juice, then another carrot juice, I did not feel well...
they were all freshly made at home.

I wonder if this is what did Steve Jobs in, I think he spent a good deal of his life as a fruitarian? What do you think?

Thanks for your input!

Cheers!
Carrots have a bit of sugar in them. You basically took in 3 sugary drinks. This is probably why you didn't feel so well. Sugar high! I get sick on sugar highs too at times. Try to get in more veggies, such as kale, spinach, celery (great for helping with reflux, by the way!), cucumbers and other veggies not high in sugars.
The Following User Says Thank You to 4giv3n1 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2011, 12:59 AM
Sundown dazzling day

Thanked 13,703 Times in 6,112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Spike View Post
I am kind of confused. Some of the foods you listed are more alkaline than acidic. I also don't know anyone who goes around saying Fish, Beans, Oats, Olives, Berries or Quinoa are bad for you. Most of the foods you listed are foods that have great nutritional value.
In a way I think it is within this alkaline-acidity thing. If you look it up, the foods can be listed in different categories depending on who you ask. I think it is because it is not a real science. A food item can be acidic in itself and they think it is getting alkaline when the body processes it and vice versa so it has little to do with the pH of the food itself. Makes me curious of how you can even measure that.

One thing nevertheless, is that it stresses the importance of cruciferous veggies, even if I feel it is for the wrong reason. Things like cabbage, broccoli and brussel sprouts are good for your immune system and seem to increase apoptosis of defective cells.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to speedofl33t For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2011, 03:36 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,864 Times in 782 Posts

too much OJ can spike your sugar levels and give you acid reflux
The Following User Says Thank You to rachelinnys For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2011, 03:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,655 Times in 1,288 Posts

neither. the bodies Ph level remains relatively stable in a healthy person.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to snowie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2011, 03:58 PM
Trapper

Vitamin C is Ascorbic Acid. Acid. So what, now Vitamin C is bad for you?

There is a difference between fruit and juice. Fruit has fiber which cannot be absorbed into the body. There are two different kinds, soluble and insoluble. What fiber partly does is balance out how quickly the body absorbs things. It serves to eliminate spikes caused by rapid absorption of sugar, "Sugar highs", by gumming up your works.

By juicing things and getting rid of the fiber, it's basically drinking sugar-flavored drinks just with added vitamins.

Long story short, you'd be better off skipping the juice and just eating the orange. All the nutrients, all the fiber and energy that will last a lot longer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devron For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2011, 06:23 PM
Research, Learn, Share

Quote:
Originally Posted by devron View Post
Vitamin C is Ascorbic Acid. Acid. So what, now Vitamin C is bad for you?
I don't think anyone is saying that vitamin C is bad for you. However, the delivery method could be.

It takes about 3 medium oranges to get one cup of OJ. A cup of OJ has approximately 21 grams of sugar (as fructose)and only 97mg of Vitamin C, or approximately 0.00345 ounces

Fructose is not metabolized in the blood, like glucose. It's metabolized in the liver. When you have too much, it raises your triglycerides. The recommended daily fructose intake varies, depending where you look. But, seems to average between 25 - 40 grams from all sources, including veggies and fruits.

And generally, it's said that ascorbic acid ends the metabolic process as an alkaline residue. That may be wrong, I'm not sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shorebird For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2011, 06:44 PM
Trapper

Ah, I see what you're getting at. I read the post wrong. Apologies to all.

I guess we agree. The main problem seems to be the method of intake. Fructose or sucrose, the initial onslaught of large amounts of sugar isn't great for the body. Too much of anything at once is, even vitamins. That's why I've always been an advocate natural 'whole' foods and a fan of a fiber diet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devron For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2011, 11:36 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,864 Times in 782 Posts

when I was a teenager my grandmother came back from her trip to FL with a 50 pound bag of citrus fruit. Had everything. Grapefruit, oragnes, tangerines. I ate so much of that fruit in one week I actually turned yellow.

Luckily it cleared but I was so sick that day it wasn't even funny.

I think what had happened was I had gall stones (didn't know it at the time), and the citrus had aggrevated my gallbladder and lodged a stone. Which turned me yellow. They didn't find the stones for a few more years.
The Following User Says Thank You to rachelinnys For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2011, 05:08 AM
Trapper

In healthy people, drinking something alkaline or acidic has absoutely no affect on your body pH. You have incredible systems preventing heavy shifts in your pH.

I would be more concerned about the affect of drinking lots of orange juice on either blood sugars + teeth if I were you!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to caledonianbu For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2011, 05:49 AM
Survival Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorebird View Post

Your Doctor was right. Orange juice is normally the first line in bringing up a diabetics blood glucose levels provided that they are able to drink properly by themselves, glucogel is only used if swallowing or ability is a problem.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dana Hawkeye For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2011, 01:07 AM
Prepared

your pH in blood/serum will be 7.35-7.45 unless you are sick or severely dehydrated...

Urinary pH will vary to help keep the blood in balance.

Even your brain can increase or decrease your base respiratory rate to help this balance by raising or lowering your pCO2.

read about Acid-Base metabolism in any medical book. It's pretty complicated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thelastboyscout For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2011, 01:42 AM
DON'T B SCARED BPREPARED

Try this link. There's a chart at the bottom. Hope it helps and hope all is well with your health. If this doesn't help, email me and I'll try to help find what you need.

http://www.naturalhealthschool.com/pH-balance.html

My wife is on the Gerson diet. She's beating cancer, the right way this time. I plan to follow her when there's enough $ for both of us.
The Following User Says Thank You to rlewis581 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2011, 12:47 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo Gratias! View Post
I am confused about the following.

I have read that orange juice makes your body alkaline, others say it makes it acidic.
I think on the Gerson therapy it is not even allowednot sure....
I think a freshly squeezed orange juice is full of nutrients, how can it be bad for you?

Also, if you are or if you have a done a veggie/juice fast, do you include it in your fasting menu?
What do you think are the benefits of drinking freshly squeezed orange juice?

Many thanks!
Cheers!
To put it all together, simple sugars tend to make the body lean towards an acid state 7.39 (lets say) while breaking down the sugars and useing them. [what ever the source.] The acidic fruits oranges, tomatoes etc. tend to push to acid/base balance -long term-into an alkaline state {7.41+} at which viruses tend to have trouble thriveing. the same with exercise. Exercise produces lactid acid in the muscles but in long term responce the body gavitates towards an alkaline state.
The Following User Says Thank You to Neo nimrod For This Useful Post: