Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival gear buy, sell, trade and reviews section > Reviews and questions
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 10-26-2011, 04:13 AM

Default best rust remover

Advertise Here

found 3 guns that were left in a car trunk all are coated with rust tried navel jelly and gun blue and rust remover still cant get all the rust off
should i reblue or use duracoat any help would begreat
Old 10-26-2011, 04:52 AM
Recent Blog:
Tuefel Hunden

Default best rest remover

Best rest remover is children. How bad is the rust some needs 0000 steel wool...how bad... wire brush on a drill or grinder? Naval jelly ain't working you need to get sand blasting bad? Got pics!
Old 10-26-2011, 09:23 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,498 Posts

Try PB Blaster.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:46 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,602 Times in 1,274 Posts

Unless you just have a ton of time, take them to a good gunsmith and have them parkerized. If a gun has really been rusty i have never been able to get it back right with bluing. for minor rust we use a penny to rub off the rust and not effect the finish.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Troublesome.

Thanked 1,846 Times in 720 Posts

The rust has to be removed before rebluing. Heck for that matter, parkerizing, or Duracoating too.

That rust has to go.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainFuzzy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2011, 11:56 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,189 Times in 654 Posts

The best rust remover I know of is oxalic acid. You can buy it at a hardware store or a big home improvement store as wood and deck cleaner. It's a white powder and you mix it about 4 rounded tablespoons per gallon of very warm water. It doesn't seem to matter if the water later cools, but it must be mixed warm.

You can also get it in bulk on ebay, but at the hardware store you'll find a 12 oz can for about $9. Much cheaper in bulk. Be sure to read the ingredients on the can to be sure it's oxalic acid.

It won't penetrate oils or grease so you have to first soak and clean your parts with brake cleaner or lacquer thinner or something. I even follow that with Dawn dish washing soap. Be sure to scrub the barrel inside.

Barkeeper's Friend is a cleanser which contains oxalic acid for small things. Find it at the grocery store next to Comet.

Wear rubber gloves.

I restore old bicycles. Here's a picture of a 55 year old rusty chrome wheel after I soaked it in a Rubbermaid tub for 24 hours and rinsed it with water.

There was absolutely no scrubbing here - just soak and rinse.

PS: It won't hurt rubber or plastic.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Adapter For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2011, 09:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,293 Posts

thanks adapter for the info . I am another guy that see beauty in old metal forms and am always fighting rust so this is another item in my arsenal to fight the battle against rust. Being that its also organic is also a plus.

I really think that the naval jelly should of worked , maybe some thing was not done right.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:05 AM
Ron Swanson 2016

Thanked 26,220 Times in 13,700 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

I just cleaned the rust off my jointer today.

http://www.theruststore.com/Boeshiel...pray-P2C1.aspx

It may take the blueing off too.

The inhibitor:

http://www.theruststore.com/Boeshiel...osol-P3C4.aspx
Old 10-28-2011, 12:25 AM
Fine ham ABOUNDS!!!!!!!!

Thanked 36,362 Times in 12,307 Posts

That was a good suggestion.

Grinders and pads will wear you out and gouge and remove good metal and leave oxidation in pits , only to return.

YOu could also use a tub (not metal) filled w/ water and baking soda (1 teaspoon per gallon). I like to use some screen from an old door or buy a roll. This will act as your sacrificial anode and will get eaten up instead of the piece you're using.

You will also need a battery charger (trickle charger, don't put in on jump start-2-12 amps is great!). Connect the red lead (pos. + ) to the screen (or whatever piece of metal you're using. Now this works on "line of sight", so if you place , say, a rod on the bottom of the barrel, the top will not be removed. So use a larger piece. Connect the negative side (-) to the part to be cleaned.

Now using more baking soda will not help. It is the electrolysis that is doing the work through the current. Lightly rusted objects will take only a few hours. You will see the solution bubble. This will also help loosen heavily rusted objects. Make sure you have it connected right, or you will find your part eaten away!!!!LOL. The solution is harmless, but you may want to use gloves if you have sensitive skin, but again, not needed.

When done , the object will need to be cleaned (wiped off-usually), nothing more than paper towels or a 3m pad.

Let me know how it worked out for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to POPPALUV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2011, 05:57 PM
Pro Aris Et Focis

Posted this in another topic about removing rust.....

Here's one most people don't know of. My grandfather worked in a shipyard during the WWII and way back when, they used molasses to remove rust, yep molasses, hundreds of gallons bathtub size. Obviously curious, I had to try for myself. Mix the molasses around 60/40 with water (60% water), even a weaker mix of 60% works (experiment) I used warm water to help it dissolve better. Leave the item in the mix for a several days, after a day or 2 it will start to form micro bubbles on the surface....in an outline of the object in there. No scrubbing, no acids, no effort. I cleaned up an old woodworking hand plane blade by this method. It cleaned it so well, you could see the temper line where the blade had been heat treated. After taking it out of the mix, I'd say within several minutes, orange (rust) was starting to appear, it cleaned it that well.

whenever you "grind/sand/bast/steel wool" you are also removing very small amounts of the metal itself as well as leaving possible "scratch marks". The molasses does not do this. I'm not a chemical engineer to explain why it ONLY eats rust and nothing else but to clean it back so you can see temper lines is good enough for me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aussie Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2011, 06:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,293 Posts

was looking at a Midway catalog last night and came across this rust and gun blue remover. I have used this stuff in the past and it worked nicely on the rust. I bought it at my local Home Depot or Auto Zone dont remember exactly but I know it was from either of these stores, it was a while back.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/184...-gallon-liquid
Old 10-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Not your usual suspect

I have used CLR for rust. It just loosens the rust first and then you use the steelwool to finish it off. CLR will also take off any bluing or other types of coating so use just what you need just in case you don't intend to do a full refinish job.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:22 PM
"Not vengence Punishment"

Take it apart and use electricity. I think this is a clip of what to do. It was on Spikes powerblock trucks. Use a battery charger, arm and hammer washing soda and a plastic tank of water. It at the last few minutes of the show.

http://www.myfitv.com/videos/208201/...verado-buildup
Old 10-29-2011, 03:55 AM
Trapper

Coke syrup is best but a few good old cans of Coca Cola will remove rust.

You will have to soak them in a good degreaser first as any oil on the metal and rust will stop the Coca Cola from reaching the rust
Old 11-07-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augoldminer View Post
Coke syrup is best but a few good old cans of Coca Cola will remove rust.

You will have to soak them in a good degreaser first as any oil on the metal and rust will stop the Coca Cola from reaching the rust
That's because Coke contains phosphoric acid which is the rust removing ingredient in Navel Jelly. Phosphoric acid converts iron oxide (rust) into iron phosphate which is water soluble.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mildew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Thanked 10,305 Times in 4,417 Posts

I like kroil (sp)works good on about anything