Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 10-22-2011, 12:06 PM

Default What is the best way to store the Lipton/Knorr Pasta Noodles Packs?

Advertise Here

Wal-Mart has a sale on Knorr Pasta Sides for $1 and I have coupons for 50 cents off two, (a bunch of them).

You just need to add water or chicken broth to boil them and eat.

How do you suggest I store 20-30 of them for a year to keep potential bugs out? I noticed most packs had about a year to 2 years shelf life date but am worried about bugs infultrating them.

What do you suggest?

Thanks,
Kathy
Old 10-22-2011, 12:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,283 Times in 3,894 Posts

Tuperware ...... keep them in the original packs ..... same thing with Ramen noodles .....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Illini Warrior For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2011, 12:59 PM

For a year, I'd just leave them in the original packaging. I've left them longer than that with no bugs, but then I've never had any bugs in anything.....maybe I live in a good spot.

I have a bunch stored up in mylars also, gonna check and rotate them in 5 years.
The Following User Says Thank You to A#1 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A#1 View Post
For a year, I'd just leave them in the original packaging. I've left them longer than that with no bugs, but then I've never had any bugs in anything.....maybe I live in a good spot.

I have a bunch stored up in mylars also, gonna check and rotate them in 5 years.
Question?

Do you dump them out of their Knorr bags and drop direct in the Mylar Bags with the O2 and seal? Or do you leave them in original packaging?
Old 10-22-2011, 01:18 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 91,741 Times in 30,658 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Having fats in them, they will go rancid over time. I'd suggest either rotating them within their storage life, or disassembling them and storing in mylar with O2 absorbers if you want to store them for a longer period.

As salty as they are, I doubt bugs are going to be a problem.

I tend to avoid premade foods like that so I haven't had as much experience with their storage life as I have with other types of foods.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,050 Posts

Mylar and O2obs. or, I'd probably vacume seal in family sized numbers.. just because I have it
Old 10-22-2011, 01:55 PM

Thanked 3,763 Times in 964 Posts

first answer i had when i read the thread title was "in my belly."

then i saw that you had 20 to 30 in mind. i would go with tupperware idea if bugs are a problem, or your going to store them somewhere other than your kitchen cupboards.
The Following User Says Thank You to lorky For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2011, 02:19 PM
Human bean of planet Urf

Thanked 2,794 Times in 1,431 Posts

I've bought those fifty at a time before. One of my fav camping/hiking foods. Always a good dinner here at home, too. I leave them in their original packaging and just toss them into a large blue plastic tub in the hall closet pantry. Not even a Tupperware, and not air tight, just a cheapo blue plastic tub. Ok, I was curious so I went and checked. Sterilite, 73qt bin. Has a $3.43 price tag on it so it's your guess how old it is. Whenever I want one, I just open the top and rummage around and grab one at random. Never rotated them, never had one go bad. Never had bugs in any of those nor anything else.

Peace.

rich
The Following User Says Thank You to randkl For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Target Shooter

I started a post on this several months back.

Here is the link:
http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...ighlight=Knorr

I can't find it, but there is a video that someone did where they put a small slit in the top of the Knorr bag and dropped a small oxygen absorber into the bag and then sealed it with duct tape. I use mylar bags with mine - - I cut a slit in the top of the Knorr bag and then drop a oxygen absorber into the bag, then put that into a small mylar bag and seal it up. At that point, it is as good as sealed as the bags of Mountain House foods, and should last about 7 years assuming reasonable storage conditions.
The Following User Says Thank You to TexSurvivalGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,754 Times in 1,786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSurvivalGuy View Post
I started a post on this several months back.

Here is the link:
http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...ighlight=Knorr

I can't find it, but there is a video that someone did where they put a small slit in the top of the Knorr bag and dropped a small oxygen absorber into the bag and then sealed it with duct tape. I use mylar bags with mine - - I cut a slit in the top of the Knorr bag and then drop a oxygen absorber into the bag, then put that into a small mylar bag and seal it up. At that point, it is as good as sealed as the bags of Mountain House foods, and should last about 7 years assuming reasonable storage conditions.
One of this guys vids does the O2 absorber in the bags.
I don't know if it's the one you are thinking of, but he has some good ideas.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ZombieTa...EBC9580549A753
Old 10-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Location: Where the ancient redwoods meet the ocean, Pacific Northwest
Thanked 1,864 Times in 509 Posts

And again..... Mylar and O2 absorbers (you have a consensus)
Old 10-22-2011, 04:22 PM
Family Always Comes First

Thanked 1,767 Times in 459 Posts

We are always rotating ours (SOS, Eat What You Store and Store What You Eat), so even though we have a years worth of them right now, a year from now, we'll still have a years worth, BUT it will not be the exact same packages.

We leave ours in the original packages, write the month and year purchased on the package and put them in 5 gallon buckets labeled Knorr Pasta/Rice Dishs. We do place the most recent purchased in the bottom of the bucket and the oldest goes to the top so we grab the oldest when we want to use some.

Because we go through them within a year, we do not do anything to the original package except labeling the purchase date on them.

Medic73
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Medic73 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2011, 05:05 PM

As my dad used to say...if you make a mountain out of a molehill, you'll surely have an uphill climb Those lipton/knorr pastas are dried and sealed--I would just leave them unopened. I had a bunch of dried packets I found in the back of my pantry that I KNOW were over 5 years old (more than likely 8 or more)...the powdered seasoning was a bit caked up, but they tasted fine. The nutritional component may degrade a bit over time, but I don't see that they would ever go 'bad'. As for bugs, I don't think any bug could chew thru the package...mice, maybe. Simple answer...just get some rubbermaid tubs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Granma_Kat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2011, 05:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,283 Times in 3,894 Posts

don't waste the effort or the $$$ on the unnecessary .... put it better use ..... 02/mylar is for LTS (long term storage) ..... you are rotating and have 2-3 yrs shelf life in the original packs .... give them some pest protection and call it day .....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Illini Warrior For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2011, 06:18 PM
Hiker

^^ + 1.

20-30 is under 2 years supply if you eat them regularly. Most are probably labeled for that long al
Old 10-22-2011, 06:38 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granma_Kat View Post
As my dad used to say...if you make a mountain out of a molehill, you'll surely have an uphill climb Those lipton/knorr pastas are dried and sealed--I would just leave them unopened. I had a bunch of dried packets I found in the back of my pantry that I KNOW were over 5 years old (more than likely 8 or more)...the powdered seasoning was a bit caked up, but they tasted fine. The nutritional component may degrade a bit over time, but I don't see that they would ever go 'bad'. As for bugs, I don't think any bug could chew thru the package...mice, maybe. Simple answer...just get some rubbermaid tubs.
I disagree. They are not 100% sealed. More than once, I have had little bits of the product drop out of the corners of the bags, especially the bottoms. I also have had some where there were little pin holes in the bag, probably from a stocking person at the grocery store placing them in the metal rack that these bags sit in (Knorr provides the same rack to every store I see this product at).

This will invite vermin into the stored food area - - and then when you need these items the most (after SHTF), they are infested or have gone bad because they weren't sealed properly.

We aren't talking a lot of time nor expense to store these properly for long term storage (5 to 7 years).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TexSurvivalGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Patient Zero of WWZ

Thanked 9,667 Times in 3,189 Posts

Check this video. This is the slit em, stick in an 02 absorber, guy ya'll were talking about earlier. Use a 20cc 02 absorber.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmLOZWryCMo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShellbackBill For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2011, 07:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,319 Times in 2,681 Posts

its not like your planning on storeing them for 10 years.they are already in maylar.i wouldnt waste the maylar or the oz obsorber on them there is no need for over kill. just drop them into a 5 gallon bucket make sure it has a rubber gasket on the lid.at most just put the packet unopened in a zip lock and then in a 5 gal bucket,and maybe drop a 1/4 cup of rice in the bucket to absorb mosture.they will be just fine that way for 3-4 years if not longer
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cryptkeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2011, 07:20 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptkeeper View Post
its not like your planning on storeing them for 10 years.they are already in maylar.i wouldnt waste the maylar or the oz obsorber on them. just drop them into a 5 gallon bucket make sure it has a rubber gasket on the lid.at most just put the packet unopened in a zip lock and then in a 5 gal bucket,they will be just fine that way for 3-4 years if not longer

maybe drop a 1/4 cup of rice in the bucket to absorb mosture.
Perfect solution - - keeps them sealed in a slightly more rigid container and keeps out vermin. As you noted, this should work for 3 to 4 years.

If you want to store them double that amount as I do, 6 to 7 years in my rotation inventory (350+ bags), then mylar and 0z absorber will ensure. If I stored 1/2 the inventory I do, then I would probably do exactly as you suggest.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TexSurvivalGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2011, 07:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,319 Times in 2,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSurvivalGuy View Post
Perfect solution - - keeps them sealed in a slightly more rigid container and keeps out vermin. As you noted, this should work for 3 to 4 years.

If you want to store them double that amount as I do, 6 to 7 years in my rotation inventory (350+ bags), then mylar and 0z absorber will ensure. If I stored 1/2 the inventory I do, then I would probably do exactly as you suggest.

yea. if your rotation is over 5 yrs you do need maylar and O2 obsorbers for everything

5 yrs is starting to get a bit long on any food item without proper storage practices.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cryptkeeper For This Useful Post: