Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 10-21-2011, 04:49 PM

Default Chicken stroke? Please help.

Advertise Here

So, for the last few days one of my hens (7 month old Rhode Island Red) has been sitting a lot. Today I noticed that after she took a few steps, she'd fall over to the left, like her leg gave out. Also, when she flaps her wings, the left one just kinda lifts away from her body, while the other extends fully. An hour ago, I found her laying totally on her left side. She's still very alert and eats when I bring it to her. When I try to pick them up usually, they let me get right over them, but kinda scamper away when I bend to pick them up. The hen in question doesn't even flinch when I grab her now. I prodded her wing a bit and played with her left foot but she had no pain response. She even grabbed onto my fingers with her toes. Any idea what might be happening? She doesn't show any signs other than the ones I listed.

(Awaits jokes about the phrase "chicken stroke."
Old 10-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,128 Times in 295 Posts

I'm a novice at chicken farming. I've only had them a few years, but I've read a lot. Two things that pop into my mind first are:

1. Either your chicken has a blocked ovaduct, or

2. Your chicken has a disease or parasite (other than the normal parasites chickens get.)

I've used my shotgun to put a few hens out of their misery over the last few years. But I wait until I KNOW they are going to die.

Sorry Hope it's neither of these.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:51 PM
Never Give up

Thanked 11,202 Times in 3,682 Posts

There was so many jokes I thought of but I will refrain from it. Even thought I get attached to my livestock its time to cull her out. She cant tell you she is in pain but if she is put her out of her misery so she does not suffer. Its hard not to comment on the title thou.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:17 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,128 Times in 295 Posts

http://www.content4reprint.com/pets-...lth-issues.htm
Old 10-21-2011, 07:26 PM

We have had a few chickens that have had the same problem,they do not get any better,they will eventually starve or be trampled to death by the others,it's a tough call but you should end her suffering.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:43 PM

feel in the area between the breast bone and the vent you will find a large mass. If it feels like an intact egg you can drench the vent with cooking oil and gently but firmly rap the egg to break it and try to work it out. if it feels odd shaped dont bother have a nice soup because it is just abuild up of caalcium and wont come out with out perminantly damageing the hen. if you extract an egg and she locks up agian eat her. It just happens with many of the modern blood lines of hens these days.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:46 PM
well prepared

Sounds like West Nile Virus to me. I've lost plenty of birds to it. Transmitted by mosquitos.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatherder View Post
feel in the area between the breast bone and the vent you will find a large mass. If it feels like an intact egg you can drench the vent with cooking oil and gently but firmly rap the egg to break it and try to work it out. if it feels odd shaped dont bother have a nice soup because it is just abuild up of caalcium and wont come out with out perminantly damageing the hen. if you extract an egg and she locks up agian eat her. It just happens with many of the modern blood lines of hens these days.
She did lay today but she seems to be getting worse and I don't wanna see her suffer.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,222 Times in 1,956 Posts

Stroking or Choking your chickens? Well she must like it if she just lays there. LOL

Had to, sorry

On a serious note, I think I would dispatch her and bury the remains. Get her away from the flock just in case. Better to be safe then sorry in the age of bird flu and what not.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:29 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,080 Times in 2,122 Posts

First she should be quarantined. I don't know how many hens you have, even the loss of one would set me back immensely, but I think it may be time for her to be dipatched. After that, (btw, a shotgun wouldn't be needed; the old wring the neck quickly will do it), open her up and have a look....it may help to know if there is anything visible.
The Following User Says Thank You to grandma For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2011, 02:06 PM
Enough is a feast

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatherder View Post
It just happens with many of the modern blood lines of hens these days.

Do you feel this is due to inbreeding?

I was reading about chickens and I was amazed at the varieties out there, and yes I am a total city boy.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:43 PM

Sorry! I'd put her down,clean out the house and replace her. I know it's not what you want to hear. Special note when ever you bring in new stock quarantine them just to be safe here on the homestead it is something we do without fail.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Target Shooter

You need to do some investigation, does your bird have a fever?
What condidion is the stool, and are there any lesions or swollen limbs?
It is vital that you determine the cause before you put her down.
The cause may be from the water source, the feed or the soil.
You will need to combat this at the source if you want to prevent the rest of your flock from its effects.
It sounds like she could be suffering from Cage Fatigue.
It is uncommon among most breeders but still seen on occasion.
It is suspected that its caused by a mineral unbalance.
The key symptom here is that she will eat from your hand.
Alan