Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 07-20-2008, 09:12 AM
Just use a 2x4

Default Rattlesnake Recipes

Advertise Here

And preparation:

http://www.backwoodsbound.com/ysnake.html

Yummy!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RosesInWinter For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2008, 10:32 AM
Unlocked and loaded

Default food supply?

I was wondering couldn't you can rattlesnake like any other meat and don,t they live underground in boughos?
Old 07-20-2008, 02:47 PM
Just use a 2x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishwarlord View Post
I was wondering couldn't you can rattlesnake like any other meat and don,t they live underground in boughos?
I don't see why you couldn't can it - but it's really good, so around here it wouldn't last long enough to see a can

I know they go for shade in the middle of the day when it's hot - I think they do burrow.... or maybe they go in after prey? Haven't ever hunted them, just kill 'em when I find them here.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:41 PM
Scarred for life...

Thanked 5,195 Times in 1,563 Posts

Timber rattlers get BIG and they can provide a lot of meat.

Most here are killed before they get too big but I have seen them almost 7 feet long and as thick as my thigh.

To hunt them you will do best in places with rocky outcrops like old mines, or quarries, or in thick woods near water sources. All you need is a 22 pistol or rifle as a clean head shot is all that is needed. Wear thick clothing and high boots. Ive been a few dozen times and Ive never been surprised by one but Ive been around people who actually sat on a rattlesnake. Some people just dont have the sense to watch where they are going.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:52 AM

the best way to save meat is by freezing it. it taste fresh and will keep for a while. now you ask can you can it? and the answer to that is simply yes. rattlesnake can be put into jars with things like salt as a preservitive and you can even put some hot peppers in there with it to give it some kick! but canning will give it a "canned" taste that is unpleasent compared to fresh or frozen. if you run upon a rattlesnake first off kill it b/c you do not want those around your house and your family. then i would tell you to eat it that day or freeze it. canning can be a great thing to do for your veggies, berries, fruit but when it come to meat i use the freezer.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:18 AM
90/10 headed for 95/5

Thanked 5,799 Times in 2,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhyeahzulu View Post
the best way to save meat is by freezing it. it taste fresh and will keep for a while. now you ask can you can it? and the answer to that is simply yes. rattlesnake can be put into jars with things like salt as a preservitive and you can even put some hot peppers in there with it to give it some kick! but canning will give it a "canned" taste that is unpleasent compared to fresh or frozen. if you run upon a rattlesnake first off kill it b/c you do not want those around your house and your family. then i would tell you to eat it that day or freeze it. canning can be a great thing to do for your veggies, berries, fruit but when it come to meat i use the freezer.
Freezing is good, but relies on electricity. Provided the utilities are still supply power, it works. In a disaster, unless you've got a generator and unlimited fuel, or an alternative power system, you'll lose your frozen stores.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Scientia potentia est.

I've had rattlesnake a couple of times, it's just like chicken
The worst part is deboning unless you want to eat around it like
a fish. You can use them in pretty much any food that would call
for chicken, just cut it into strips. The cook time is a few minutes
less do to how lean the meet is. It is very good though in my opinion.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:35 AM

sounds really good.

Question: I have heard that it is legal to kill any venomous snake anytime you see it, due to the danger it poses. Is this true? If it varies by state, I live in MO if anyone has any state specific info, I'd appreciate it.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy123 View Post
Timber rattlers get BIG and they can provide a lot of meat.

Most here are killed before they get too big but I have seen them almost 7 feet long and as thick as my thigh.
Are you serious? Do they really get as thick as your 'thigh'? That seems incredible. (And would scare the stuffing out of me.)
Old 08-23-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLsurvivalist83 View Post
sounds really good.

Question: I have heard that it is legal to kill any venomous snake anytime you see it, due to the danger it poses. Is this true? If it varies by state, I live in MO if anyone has any state specific info, I'd appreciate it.
well yeah it's leagal to kill a venomous snake. why would you think it's illegal anywhere? i live in south carilina and any venomous snake better hope it does not come around me. i let the other snakes go or carry them away from the area but, we do not have many rattlesnakes you only see one about every other year. but cotton mouths are here in the millions. you see one almost everytime you go to the river. and sometimes there are so many around you just have to leave because that is officialy there area and let me tell you i'm not going to be pokeing my head around a place where i see 20 snakes in 30 min. and i've seen it before.

but the best way to cook rattle snake is to just fry it.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:47 PM

timber rattlers are the largest rattle snake and they do get pretty big.. not sure about as thick as a thigh.. but then I live where we have both timber rattlers as well as Mojave Green rattlers.

I know one thing.. they are skin and bones when they first emerge after hibernation. I also kill them when I see them. Just remember that they can strike 3/4 the length of their bodies.