Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 07-20-2008, 01:41 AM
Scarred for life...

Thanked 5,201 Times in 1,564 Posts
Default Frosts mora survival knife

Advertise Here

I just got one and I have to say I am very impressed with the quality of this knife, especially considering I only paid around 13 dollars for it.

There are many 50 dollar knives that aren't as good as this one.

The sheath is adequate but nothing special and to look at the handle on the knife I was wondering if this was a good purchase but I was really impressed with the blade.

I would highly recommend one of these knives and for the price you could get more than a few of them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to countryboy123 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2008, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy123 View Post
I just got one and I have to say I am very impressed with the quality of this knife, especially considering I only paid around 13 dollars for it.

There are many 50 dollar knives that aren't as good as this one.

The sheath is adequate but nothing special and to look at the handle on the knife I was wondering if this was a good purchase but I was really impressed with the blade.

I would highly recommend one of these knives and for the price you could get more than a few of them.
i totaly agree they are great knives strong sharp stay sharp and easy to sharpen but most moras are not full tang and that means its not as strong as
a full tang knife
Old 07-20-2008, 09:10 AM

I have two 740 mg. They are great knives. I left one oringnal and one I rehandled with a piece of elk antler.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by country boy View Post
i totaly agree they are great knives strong sharp stay sharp and easy to sharpen but most moras are not full tang and that means its not as strong as
a full tang knife
True, while partial tang moras are not as strong as full tang knives, that doesn't make them weak either. Mora's are more intended for slicing, cleaning/butchering fish and game, carving and other lighter type camp chores than chopping. And, I wouldn't let the lack of a full tang and the presence of a thin blade totally sway one away from using a knife for (say) batoning or something. I have batoned with my Buck Diamondback, and there are people who have battoned with Opinel Folders without inflicting any damage to the knife.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2008, 09:37 PM
Idaho Mountain Man

They're great knives. Is your knife high carbon steel, stainless or laminated?
Old 08-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Wild Edibles Expert

Thanked 9,764 Times in 4,217 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 3

I think they are great, I ordered one through a supplier in April, paid for it and it never came.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Bushpuukko

BensBackwoods has the Maartini M571 which is a hand forged carbon steel blade with a semi-rat tail tang all the way to the handle end. Somewhere on the web you can find x-rays. Frost knives have tangs that are generally 1/2 way thru the handle. KJ Ericssons are decent knives with 3/4 or better tangs. I think I paid around $15 for my M571 and $9 for the Mora 510. I'm beginning to like and use more thin bladed knives since I generally carry a hatchet when in the woods. One other thing... the M571 comes SCARY SHARP from the factory! Unfortunately the only drawback to knives like these is the crappy plastic sheath. I bought a JRE from BensBackwoods for $20 and am REALLY IMPRESSED. In the pic... the M571 has the blackish looking blade.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC03501.JPG   DSC03502.JPG  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bushpuukko For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2008, 07:01 PM
Animis opibusque parati

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpuukko View Post
BensBackwoods has the Maartini M571 which is a hand forged carbon steel blade with a semi-rat tail tang all the way to the handle end. Somewhere on the web you can find x-rays. Frost knives have tangs that are generally 1/2 way thru the handle. KJ Ericssons are decent knives with 3/4 or better tangs. I think I paid around $15 for my M571 and $9 for the Mora 510. I'm beginning to like and use more thin bladed knives since I generally carry a hatchet when in the woods. One other thing... the M571 comes SCARY SHARP from the factory! Unfortunately the only drawback to knives like these is the crappy plastic sheath. I bought a JRE from BensBackwoods for $20 and am REALLY IMPRESSED. In the pic... the M571 has the blackish looking blade.

I have never owned a mora and thought it would be a good time. This knife fits into my intrests as a small nimble utility knife. I tool your suggestion and ordered one with a sheath.

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Rprecision For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2008, 01:57 PM
Bushpuukko

RPrecision, let me know how it works out for you. Send pics as well.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpuukko View Post
Hey man, your marttiini 571 is really sexy, though it is the Mora 510 with the longer tang. the mora has like 7/8 tang while the 571 has 3/4 tang. Wanted to throw those x-rays out there - the 510 is the bottom knife

Which do you prefer? I know the 571 is forged which is pretty amazing for a 15 dollar knife!
The Following User Says Thank You to UCBerzerkeley For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2008, 07:47 AM
VIP Member

Without a doubt one of the best bangs for the buck. I wish all my gear was so cheap and worked so well.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:49 PM
Bushpuukko

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBerzerkeley View Post
Hey man, your marttiini 571 is really sexy, though it is the Mora 510 with the longer tang. the mora has like 7/8 tang while the 571 has 3/4 tang. Wanted to throw those x-rays out there - the 510 is the bottom knife

Which do you prefer? I know the 571 is forged which is pretty amazing for a 15 dollar knife!
I prefer the M571. Ended up giving the 510 to the wife.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:03 AM

heres oneith te names

Old 09-01-2009, 08:28 PM

Thumbs up Frosts Mora

Just picked up a used Frosts Mora "Clipper" in high carbon w/t green and black grip, and green sheath. Love its feel, sharpness and ease of sharpening.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:37 PM

Dang I thought that the 780 was full tang... already ordered one.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:02 AM

I got FT860M and FT780, one is stainless and one carbon steel. They came amazingly sharp, *!BUT!*i managed to bend edges by cutting dry spruce wood - within 1-3 cuts. Factory edge comes very sharp but very narrow angle. For carving i recommend to grind final edge at at least 40 degrees angle. Otherwise, the knifes are fun, good tool and cheap.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:48 AM
Prepared

I love the clipper. I like to take one with me when camping so I don't get my good full tang sheath knifes covered in blood or acidy juice (although if it was a true suvival situation I'd take only my better knifes with me as the clippers arn't strong enough for perminent use, too thin and not full tang, plus I don't like rat tail tangs)

I should point out I've only ever used the carbon version though as I want the sharpest edge I could get.

They are a perfect tool for a beginner or anyone who dosen't want to put money into a decent knife (should be yet at the end of this sentence). Easy to prep food with, easy to carve with, very easy to sharpen to a razor edge and easy to clean.

I infact keep one in my kitchen as its a great littlle all round knife for food prep, be it dice an oinion or take slices off a lump of cooked beef out the firdge (I like to cook a joint on sunday and slice it up for sandwiches over the week).
Old 09-21-2009, 11:16 AM

I have a Clipper in Carbon and a Mora 2000. Both are great knives, I find these knives
excel when working with wood. My only complaints are that the sheathes have a lot to be
desired, but are functional. and the edge isn't as robust in terms of strength then other knives
with harder steel.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:40 PM
Really?

Thanked 10,061 Times in 4,907 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

So I just ordered a Swiss Mil Mora knife. Anybody know about that one? Does 'mil' mean military? Is it a 3/4 tang? Carbon steel blade? Forged?
Old 10-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Earthwalker.

Thanked 10,497 Times in 4,379 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 2

Good knives.