Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 10-17-2011, 07:30 AM
Target Shooter

Default My wife tells me I'm a hoarder, I think she's right!

Advertise Here

Is that the same thing, Prepper = Hoarder? Sure I hoard food, water, guns, ammo, and other supplies, but she just doesn't understand. Actually we watched a movie the other day about a deadly worldwide plague and everyone was buttoned up in their house for months to avoid it. After the movie she turned to me and said she was glad we had the extra food LOLOLOLOLOLOL.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2011, 07:42 AM
Prepared

I hope she does not brag about it now and ruin opsec.
The Following User Says Thank You to ccsdc83 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2011, 07:50 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,266 Times in 2,716 Posts

Nah a hoarder is different from a prepper.

Hoarders come in five categories from those who simply have clutter while those who cant get into a room due to 6 or more feet of rubbish blocking the door.

Preppers are usually organised and most hoarders arent.

Preppers usually store things that will come of use instead of hoarders who will keep everything - the worse sufferers even keep their own body waste.

Preppers usually hide their stores while hoarders couldnt care less and have it in every area of the house.

Preppers usually keep their stores clean, neat and tidy and in date. Hoarders dont care, they have stuff going mouldy, rotten, unclean and it stinks.

Heres a typical hoarder:

Another hoarder:
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Purdy Bear For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2011, 08:55 AM
Maximus

Thanked 13,684 Times in 6,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post
Is that the same thing, Prepper = Hoarder?
My rule of thumb is "functional". If it is functional, it is prepping, If it is not functional, it is hoarding. Functionality is paramount to the things I keep and store. Are the items organized in a way that does not leave clutter. Can I find the item I need, if the need arises, without having to "dig around"? Is the stuff you are keeping getting in the way of "Normal" activities such as walking around the home or other safety concerns.

If a person wants to keep plastic cups, let them keep it as long as it is organized and FUNCTIONAL. Don't EVER "That may come in handy" and then toss it in a drawer or junk pile. Put it in the place it needs to go.

How many do you realistically need for functionality? Will 10-20 do? Or do you need ALL OF THEM? Is it functional use of space to keep every single ice-cream container "just in case"? Or will 20 last you a few years.

Functional: You save it, but you can find it and use it when you need!

Not functional and EVERYTHING here "is still good" or "can come in handy" until you actually need to find it and use it:

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2011, 09:20 AM
Stay the Course

I would say a hoarder keeps everything useful or not and a prepper is preparing for something.

Don't worry about it. We won't get that TV show on you for stocking up supplies.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Beef View Post
I would say a hoarder keeps everything useful or not and a prepper is preparing for something.

Don't worry about it. We won't get that TV show on you for stocking up supplies.
The reason I don't like the "useful or not" definition is because what one person finds useful, another person might see as junk. All this lead and spent brass, plastic cups or old nails? Who is to really determine what is useful or not.

That is why I prefer the "functional" test. Can you find it if you need it? Can you get to it when you want to? Does it impede your other social/family/financial functions or mobility?
The Following User Says Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2011, 09:41 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,050 Posts

I like to ride the fine line I can do alot with junk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swampwood For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2011, 09:53 AM
Baal Sheeple

Thanked 13,691 Times in 5,240 Posts

From what it looks like from watching on the TV series Hoarders- Buried alive, it has nothing to do with functionality or usefulness. If you have this disorder you hold onto things even if it means harm to you and your loved ones. The test is can you throw out (donate or sell) a item of your hoard. Hoarders use their hoard to feel safe (strange as that might be when they fill their homes to the point of real fire and safety hazards).

Interesting enough from that show is you can spot the folks that are just bad housekeepers looking for someone else to clean up their messes versus those that are mentally ill. There are a few that are simply taking advantage of the TV show to overcome the fact they lack character and money to do cleanup.

So applying it to a prepper, it might be if you have old out of date food but you are unwilling to throw it away that you are a hoarder.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:07 AM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
So applying it to a prepper, it might be if you have old out of date food but you are unwilling to throw it away that you are a hoarder.
I agree with most of your post but this part. Many food "expiration" dates are just suggestions and guidelines. It is law to have the dates on there. If you notice many will say "Best By" date instead of "expiration" because the food is still good, just might not be at its freshest.

This is also why bottles of water have expiration dates on them. Water, honey, sugar, etc etc.. these are foods that have dates but do not go bad. Canned foods, you can't really tell without inspecting the can and the insides.

Don't always go by the date.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2011, 10:26 AM
Baal Sheeple

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdotcom View Post
I agree with most of your post but this part. Many food "expiration" dates are just suggestions and guidelines. It is law to have the dates on there. If you notice many will say "Best By" date instead of "expiration" because the food is still good, just might not be at its freshest.

This is also why bottles of water have expiration dates on them. Water, honey, sugar, etc etc.. these are foods that have dates but do not go bad. Canned foods, you can't really tell without inspecting the can and the insides.

That is true.

But the hoarder types would not care if it was actually bad. They would still hang onto it. The hoarder type will use the justification of the best by dates as not being the, must be used by date, to never throw it out. Hoarders simply can not feel good with getting rid of things. So if the husband says "it is me or this 19 year old can of Cream of Mushroom that goes", the hoarder will say "I am not throwing out a perfectly good can of soup. Stop being a drama queen."
The Following User Says Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2011, 10:29 AM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
That is true.

But the hoarder types would not care if it was actually bad. They would still hang onto it. The hoarder type will use the justification of the best by dates as not being the, must be used by date, to never throw it out. Hoarders simply can not feel good with getting rid of things. So if the husband says "it is me or this 19 year old can of Cream of Mushroom that goes", the hoarder will say "I am not throwing out a perfectly good can of soup. Stop being a drama queen."
My grandma had a mango in a paper bag once she would not get rid of even though it was black and liquefying!! She also wanted to eat a green egg and was mad because I threw it out.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:37 AM
Rotties Rule

Quote:
Actually we watched a movie the other day about a deadly worldwide plague and everyone was buttoned up in their house for months to avoid it. After the movie she turned to me and said she was glad we had the extra food .
what movie?
Old 10-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Permaculturist

Hoarding is a communist term when applied to food. Listen to the following--- really funny and quite true, 7.5 minutes. You'll enjoy it:

Old 10-17-2011, 10:48 AM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 6,983 Times in 3,331 Posts

Sounds like Contagion. It was a decent pandemic movie. Nothing new though.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:36 AM
Baal Sheeple

Quote:
Originally Posted by composter View Post
Hoarding is a communist term when applied to food. Listen to the following--- really funny and quite true, 7.5 minutes. You'll enjoy it:

Ramblings of someones self justification and poor reasoning about stockpiling 200 cans of coffee. It was only funny in the sense of what torturous logic people will go through to avoid being labeled in what they think is a negative way.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:28 PM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 24,701 Times in 7,467 Posts

I view hoarding this way:

If there's a crisis event of some sort and I go to the store and buy as much of something as I possibly can which prevents others from getting a "fair" share, then I'm hoarding.

But if I have, over time, put away food and other preps so that I'm not standing in line at that store, I don't see it as hoarding.

Hoarding is when my purchasing excess amounts of something prevents someone else from getting any.

The stores are full right now. My preps are preventing no one from getting anything they might need, and they may well keep me from competing with them over scarce resources when the time comes.

Hoarder? I am not. I'm prepared.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to goose3 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Baal Sheeple

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose3 View Post
I view hoarding this way:

If there's a crisis event of some sort and I go to the store and buy as much of something as I possibly can which prevents others from getting a "fair" share, then I'm hoarding.

Hoarder? I am not. I'm prepared.
There can be different definitions of a word. Some people would look at all I have and think I am a hoarder. And in some ways of looking at it, I am. Than there is the hoarder that is mentally ill as described earlier in this thread. Hopefully, I do not fit that description.

My supplies give me comfort knowing that they are there. I try to be realistic and not let them control me. Life and people are more important than any amount of guns, food or water stockpiled. Those are just means and not a end in themselves.
The Following User Says Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2011, 03:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,116 Times in 1,637 Posts

Quote:
Is that the same thing, Prepper = Hoarder? Sure I hoard food, water, guns, ammo, and other supplies, but she just doesn't understand. Actually we watched a movie the other day about a deadly worldwide plague and everyone was buttoned up in their house for months to avoid it. After the movie she turned to me and said she was glad we had the extra food LOLOLOLOLOLOL.
Words matter. It sounds like your wife (I'm not trying to be insulting here) doesn't understand the definition of either a Hoarder or a Prepper. It seems, by your short post, that she defines both as "Someone who has a lot of stuff", without looking at the organization, condition, or usefullness of that stuff.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:27 PM
Target Shooter

I know a guy who hoards. He just piles it up and ends up with huge piles of bicycles and other junk, he doesn't even know what he has. He has a fetish for bicycles and lawnmowers and circular saws. Once I counted his lawnmowers, he had nearly fifty of them and just bought a few more the time I counted them. He just covers them up, never uses them, not sure if any of them even work. I'm not sure he even knows why he buys them. Gets them all from yard sales. Really weird, like he can't say no to them. This is a common sight on his property:

Old 10-17-2011, 09:35 PM
Rocket Surgeon

Thanked 20,822 Times in 8,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdotcom View Post

You are incorrect! Only a very few states have laws concerning dates on foods! Most companies do it for liablilty purposes!