Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 10-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,129 Times in 295 Posts
Default Storing water in 2-liter soda bottles

Advertise Here

I have read plenty of threads about storing dry foods in 2-liter soda bottles, but I don't recall anyone mentioning storing water in them.

I had previously used milk jugs to store water, but they split and leak after only a little while.

Are there any reasons not to store water in pop bottles? I would primarily use the water for washing until we got a hand pump hooked onto our well, or in case of an extended power outage.
The Following User Says Thank You to michiganmom For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2011, 01:22 PM
Ron Swanson 2016

Thanked 26,022 Times in 13,615 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

They would be great to store water in. I use old gallon "Arizona Ice Tea" jugs to store some water in for easy transportation. Easier then trying to hump a 55 gallon barrel. Just remeber to put a date on them and go water the garden or flowers and refill them every few months.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2011, 01:32 PM

I wash them out and fill them with water and a couple drops of bleach then throw them in the freezer. This accomplishes two purposes - first to store water and to keep the items from spoiling in the freezer if the power goes out. Matter of fact the power was out of 5 hours the other night after a thunderstorm came thru and no problems all my food was good to go. I know this is a small sample, but anything you can do to accomplish two tasks with one item to me is the way to go.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ppft For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2011, 01:48 PM

Just rotate the stock so you dont get stagnant water, if your goin to drink it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CeltHorseman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2011, 06:53 PM
Family Always Comes First

Thanked 1,772 Times in 459 Posts

We do store water in 2-liter bottles (as well as 7 gallon camping jugs and 55 gallon barrels). If the water you are using to store is already treated tap water, you really do not need to add any bleach because of the chlorine already added to the water, but you can add some if you prefer.

Instead, we choose to empty out all the water containers about every 6 to 12 months. Water is cheap, so other than the work involved to empty and re-fill the containers, there is very little cost involved and we know that our stored water is fresh.

As one of the above posters said, we kept 2-liter bottles of water in our freezer (until the freezer died this summer) :^( We kept as many bottles in the freezer as we could, filling up as much empty "air space" as we could. This makes it easier for the freezer to keep foods cold and as said before, really makes a difference if the power does go out.

Medic73
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Medic73 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2011, 10:40 PM

I've noticed that over a period of time some of the bottles of soda tend to go flat. Does this mean that the seal on the purchased soda is bad? Can this bottle be used to store grain or rice?
Old 10-16-2011, 10:41 PM
Bush Walker

Thanked 4,952 Times in 1,826 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeltHorseman View Post
Just rotate the stock so you dont get stagnant water, if your goin to drink it.

even if it did go tale couldnt you just aerate it and be back to decent no bad taste water?
Old 10-16-2011, 10:54 PM

If in doubt of the water stored in a 2 litter bottle during a time of need, boil it, purify it with tablets or bleach. I to keep gallon jugs of water frozen in my freezer it they power goes out or a whole grid out situation At least for 5 days my frozen food will stay cold.
The Following User Says Thank You to freedommachine For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2011, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBooker44 View Post
I use old gallon "Arizona Ice Tea" jugs to store some water in for easy transportation.

They're the best heavy duty jugs I can find...much better than any milk containers. I buy a couple whenever they're on sale.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brian S For This Useful Post: