Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 10-13-2011, 03:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,588 Times in 2,711 Posts
Default Tom Brown Jr. Updates Coming to Tracker Course

Advertise Here

Has anyone here taken his courses?

He was a privitive survival educator long before 9-11, before Survivorman and long before it was cool. He's did more to educate people on how to live well in a semi permenant primative mode than any survivalist shows. True, he's more Boy Scout - Order of the Arrow than Nutnfancy type, but to me, he is right on.

Post is from Sept. 13, 2011. Looks like he's doing online courses, JUST LIKE BOYSCOUTS.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:37 AM
Survivor

Still impressive even when he modifies his own advice to a more conventional semi overhand throw. Anyone who thows a football knows to avoid the side arm throw!
Old 10-13-2011, 07:48 AM
Answer Is No

Nutnfancy isn't a survivalist, at least after watching a lot of his videos thats my honest oppinion. The guy is iritating at best. Not sure about Tom Brown yet, but if he advocates throwing away your knife then that oppinion starts him pretty low on the respect level.
That said you can generaly learn something from most of the self styled experts, even if it is what not to do.
Cheers
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Turtlewolf For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2011, 09:31 AM
Back of beyond!

Location: the high country, n. Arizona. Just recently bought a house off the grid, & had solar pwr installed.
Thanked 4,485 Times in 1,717 Posts

Back in 1984, Don and Dan Nichols were on the run and hiding out in the Montana wilderness for killing one guy, and shooting Kari Swenson. They evaded the authorities for many months before they were caught. Tom Brown was hired to track them down, as he claimed that he could "track a mouse across rocks".
Tom Brown was completely unable to track them, and quit after a while. All of his bragging and boasting was to no avail, finally a rancher found them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to desert wanderer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2011, 09:54 AM
Prepared Firebird

Thanked 9,878 Times in 2,741 Posts

I haven't taken any of his courses, but I have read all his books.

He generally gets a bad rap from people on this forum......but, nevertheless, his books do contain a lot of useful info.......especially the one on City and Suburban Survival.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LadyFenix For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2011, 10:03 AM
Numquam Succumbe

Thanked 4,923 Times in 2,039 Posts

The guy seems too "head-in-the-clouds" for me personally. Sure, I get existential and romantic about nature and man's place in it during the sunset around the fire, but, from what I've seen, Tom Brown Jr. doesn't have an "off" switch for it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm elated that he's propogating the principles of self-sufficiency and renewable technologies -it's definitely something that the world needs. And maybe I'm just a big 'ol hypocrite...

...But I don't think that I personally could stand to be around him for more than 15 minutes. I'd feel like I was at a seminary if I took one of his classes.

Maybe that's the line, though, who knows. The line that delineates expert from artist in the wilderness survival arena. Maybe you don't reach Nirvana until you get mystical on that ass.
The Following User Says Thank You to twyggy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2011, 10:38 AM
The end is,,,,,

Thanked 8,755 Times in 3,770 Posts

I have learned, key word is learned, many things thru the years. Some I was taught by others, some by trial and error. I never have been able to figure out why someone would pay someone else good hard earned money to teach them things that we find in books and can get just from talking to others and doing on our own.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:51 PM

I have been following Tom Brown Jr. for over 25 years and if one were to go through his teaching and other stuff he has more to say than anyone I have ever seen. He is more natural to me.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:59 PM

I have taken some classes from him they were a great time. Lots of information, great people, all around good time. I would agree a little expensive but you can't take it with ya.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aquacopter For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2011, 06:56 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlewolf View Post
Nutnfancy isn't a survivalist, at least after watching a lot of his videos thats my honest oppinion. The guy is iritating at best. Not sure about Tom Brown yet, but if he advocates throwing away your knife then that oppinion starts him pretty low on the respect level.
That said you can generaly learn something from most of the self styled experts, even if it is what not to do.
Cheers
No that's a stick in the video with his son.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:57 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyotisharma View Post
Tom Brown Jr. Updates Coming to Tracker Course this is Nutnfancy isn't a survivalist, at least after watching a lot of his videos thats my honest oppinion.
What was it like??????Do you recommend?
Old 10-14-2011, 06:58 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquacopter View Post
I have taken some classes from him they were a great time. Lots of information, great people, all around good time. I would agree a little expensive but you can't take it with ya.
Can you give bit more info?
Old 10-14-2011, 06:59 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFenix View Post
I haven't taken any of his courses, but I have read all his books.

He generally gets a bad rap from people on this forum......but, nevertheless, his books do contain a lot of useful info.......especially the one on City and Suburban Survival.
I agree the City and Suburban book is very different and informative.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:09 AM
Recent Blog:
Hunter

personally I think he has forgot more about survival than most of us will ever know .
Old 10-14-2011, 05:03 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 3,609 Times in 1,709 Posts

Is this the guy who is from NewJersey but allegedly learned all his skills from an apache?
Old 10-15-2011, 12:46 AM

I have taken his standard class, adv. standard, adv. tracking and awareness, and scout. All of them were worth the money. You wake early eat breakfast and start either learning or working on what you learned and you don't stop until night. Standard class is about a week long you go over basic traps, percussion flintknapping, basic tracking, Bowdrill handdrill, Shelter, Food, Water Filtration. You go over all of these topics in a semi-classroom setting and do a few of them hands on. Everyone is encouraged to start a bow drill fire, make a figure four trap, and make some cordage. Each Class you learn some more adv. skills and actually work on some more adv. stuff. Classes are a lot of sit down class time and you wont leave being good at all of the skills you learned but there are many "seeds" planted that you can grow from the good foundation you get there. Hope this helps best I can do at midnight. If you have the money and need a vacation I would do it.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:21 AM

I took the standard, advanced standard, tracking and philosophy classes back in the 80's. I also took the 28 day course from BOSS in Utah about the same time and that's the only thing I can really compare it to.

I thought the standard and advanced standard were really informative courses and each covered more specific content in the 7 days that each ran than the 28 day course from BOSS did. That's not to shoot down BOSS, that was also a great course but was more of a sink or swim methodology of education while the Tracker courses were more lecture / classroom like with lot's if activities intermixed.

The tracking course I don't think I really got much out of and have learned much more just going out and watching animals for myself but I guess the argument could be made that it was my introduction to doing that as I was pretty young when I took them. The philosophy course was way too woo woo for me. Although I do subscribe to the idea of survival as a process of becoming part of nature rather than beating it into submission, the whole magical, Carlos Castaneda-esque aspect kind of loses me. If you are into that sort of thing though it might be worth it for you.

All in all I'd recommend the first two courses to anyone looking for a foundation to start from. I don't know if he is still teaching the courses himself, but he's one of those gifted storyteller types and even though it's a lot of sitting and note taking it's an enjoyable endeavor.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:00 PM
Hiker

I was a dirt-trained man-tracker before I'd heard of Tom Brown. I've since read every one of his books. Probably the best was "the art and science of tracking". In it, he describes a method of quantifying foot tracks that can be recorded and reproduced, if need be. That was something that was missing from tracking for a long time. Too many variables, each one dependent on the expertise of the interpreter.

H has some good advise on survival, too.

I took what i needed from his books and left the rest, mainly the hippy BS for the fuzzy headed.

I feel he has true talents as a tracker. I don't get mystical about it though.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:07 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert wanderer View Post
Back in 1984, Don and Dan Nichols were on the run and hiding out in the Montana wilderness for killing one guy, and shooting Kari Swenson. They evaded the authorities for many months before they were caught. Tom Brown was hired to track them down, as he claimed that he could "track a mouse across rocks".
Tom Brown was completely unable to track them, and quit after a while. All of his bragging and boasting was to no avail, finally a rancher found them.
Citation please.

Only because I'm familiar with the case and would like to read up on TB's involvement in it.

In TBs defense, you cant place a dead body in front of a doctor and tell him to "fix it".

There might have been too much scene contamination, etc, to even begin tracking.