Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 10-08-2011, 03:39 AM
Recent Blog:
Gitter Done!

Thanked 1,832 Times in 643 Posts
Cool Prepping for Underground Survival

Advertise Here

I am sure that I am not the only one thinking this, but with the current situation above ground my underground bunker is going to be expanded over the winter months.

It seems more people are waking up each month and they are finding they have nothing and no place to dodge the bullets or at least try and survive safely. This really shows how like minded people suddenly flock together. So anyway, it looks like I am going to have a few more families sharing my den, but the best part is they have skills in areas the rest of the little group doesn't.

Due to the current Low Dose Radiation hitting American soil for the past few months and the looks of growing a garden that is safe to eat is zero, the underground shelter if now going to have its own greenhouse with those pretty growing lights.

I may have wandered off and was busy Prepping these last few months so I rarely get on here anymore, but thought I would share the thought with others.

Now, if you are thinking its time to prepare and get serious about going underground, even if you want to research it and see how the Vietnamese did it or the Chinese did it, perhaps even how ancient civilizations did it all underground and survived, this is for you.

If you have a few friends, relatives or wannabee survivors that want to help dig it out so they can dig out a spare room for their families, why not. Right?

What I have come across about just tunneling is some very interesting material of how ants do it. They don't have air vents, they slope their tunnels so the air flows throughout the entire structure. Worth looking into. There is also the fact that the Chinese moved 30 million people including entire factories and schools all underground when Japan invaded them. Worth researching.

There are tons of things to look at, but when you are standing there with no money and have a pick and a shovel in hand, you go with what works and learn from those who did it by hand. I am finding that there may not be enough time to hire hands to dig, pour cement or even buy materials for any improvements on the bunker, but I have two hands and two feet and a shovel.

I have to say I am far from any expert on underground tunnels, but with a little research and some sweat I am determined to expand and get done what has to be done because this world isn't getting any safer.

However, if an article is true in the least it may help us out in the long run. It doesn't solve the current radiation fallout or the fact we may still have to deal with Raiders (druggies, the desperate who lose their minds or the really evil types), but a bullet solves that problem. (And a shovel). However, I don't plan on being above ground when SHTF anyway, so all I have to think about is stocking up the bunker, stocking up on seeds and making sure the toilets flush.

So maybe this helped some, perhaps it made more work for others, but when the air, water and land is contaminated where else can you go? Underground.

The Vietnamese tunnels. Look ma, no supports?
http://www.vietnam-beauty.com/top-de...cal-relic.html

http://thecontaminated.com/vietnames...s-and-tunnels/

How smart are ants? Well, they are smart enough to live underground and not suffocate.

Then there is the do-it-yourselfer that you can learn from.
Maybe pick up a few tricks.
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...r-under-Your-/

When I was about 13 I dug into the side of a hill for about 20 feet and the tunnel was about 4 feet high. (I did this in 2 days). Would you believe the darn thing is still there today eons later? I bet there are still a few star wars figures in there buried in a glass jar too. haha.

What I found works well in areas where there is shale and some hard clay dirt is using the air chisel.

www.northerntool.com

Or perhaps you can find both the air compressor and the air chisel/hammer at harbor freight for less.

Hope this helps one survivor out there.

Just another day at Vault 101 my nephew commented. Found out its from the game called Fallout 3, which is a post nuclear fallout type of scenario game which kids play. It has raiders, scavengers, and bottle caps for money. Hey, at least they are teaching our kids how to survive in video games instead of just shooting people. =)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to usmountains For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2011, 03:52 AM
-Novice Genius-

Still reading.....
So far, quite impressive sir.
Thank You for sharing.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:15 AM
Roughlander

Another thing about the ants...They build small chambers against the slope to catch rain water and keep the tunnels from flooding.