Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 10-07-2011, 02:37 PM

Default The North Face Backpacks... good urban BOB?

Advertise Here

I noticed a lot of young people around my age wear the North Face backpacks to school and I was wondering if they'd make good BOB's as well as school bags. I know that the North Face makes outdoorsy type stuff but with so many people wearing their products to school it makes it look more like a fashion statement.

I wanted to get a North Face backpack that i could use for school but then bring on camping or hiking and use as a BOB.

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/...ks/jester.html

Good BOB/hiking/camping bag??

Edit: I actually just checked and apparently the particular backpack i posted, the Jester, is not even waterproof. Can someone recommend a North Face backpack that would be a good BOB/hiking/camping bag that could also be used for school?

thanks.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:46 PM
Getting Ready

That backpack is fine, buy a can of waterproof and spray it on. I use the Kelty Roam for my gfs bob, pretty similar.

T
Old 10-07-2011, 04:50 PM

thanks for the reply and i might just get the jester backpack and do just that. I noticed you are from California... are you on calguns.net?
Old 10-07-2011, 05:05 PM

North face makes some great stuff in my opinion. Very versatile. But +1 on the can of water proofing
Old 10-07-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswilliams View Post
North face makes some great stuff in my opinion. Very versatile. But +1 on the can of water proofing
thanks. i may get the black jester
Old 10-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Tired of you people

Thanked 11,347 Times in 4,289 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I use a Deuter Freerider Pro 30 as my EDC/school bag. No one ever bats an eye at it.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Hiker

The North Face backpacks are sweeet! I have a Solarus 30 that is about 5 years old that is awesome. They say it is not waterproof, but I have been in some pretty good rain and have not gotten the stuff inside wet. I agree with the previous post on get some waterproof spray in the can and waterproof it like that. The Solarus is a little bit for school but The North Face makes some great stuff!

And if you get it from REI it is guaranteed for life!
Old 10-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Tired of you people

Thanked 11,347 Times in 4,289 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I have no had a chance to use this yet, but my friends have all said it is awesome.

http://www.dryguywaterproofing.com/
Old 10-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Gatorbait

I used the same North Face daypack for hiking and short 2-day backpacking trips for 5 or 6 years. It is now my BOB
Old 10-07-2011, 11:35 PM
Getting Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterrEugene View Post
thanks for the reply and i might just get the jester backpack and do just that. I noticed you are from California... are you on calguns.net?
I am not a member. I look around there occasionally but I'm a member here and another gun website that I rarely frequent.

T
Old 10-07-2011, 11:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,945 Times in 1,728 Posts

I don't know anything about the pack your looking at but I like maxpidition little more expensive but the materials and workmanship are worth it to me

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/...06.htm#details
Old 10-08-2011, 01:47 AM
Maximus

Thanked 13,893 Times in 6,179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterrEugene View Post
I noticed a lot of young people around my age wear the North Face backpacks to school and I was wondering if they'd make good BOB's as well as school bags. I know that the North Face makes outdoorsy type stuff but with so many people wearing their products to school it makes it look more like a fashion statement.

I wanted to get a North Face backpack that i could use for school but then bring on camping or hiking and use as a BOB.

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/...ks/jester.html

Good BOB/hiking/camping bag??

Edit: I actually just checked and apparently the particular backpack i posted, the Jester, is not even waterproof. Can someone recommend a North Face backpack that would be a good BOB/hiking/camping bag that could also be used for school?

thanks.
North Face used to be a fantastic company. But I have to be honest and say that quality has dropped significantly. There was a time when North Face was designed to handle a climb up the north-face of a mountain. Hence the name. But they started to enter the "Tommy Hilfiger" market-share. They are now mostly designer street-wear. That is why so many are used as backpacks (for school) now. They still have their line of outdoors packs but these cost a bit more.

As far as a good BOB/Hiking/Camping bag... that depends on how much weight you are going to carry during these activities. Anything more than 15 lbs I suggest something with a frame or at the very least a waist-belt. The frame transfers most of the weight onto the hips. A waist-belt also helps to transfer some of the weight onto your hips so that your shoulders and back are not carrying the entire load.

Also look for a pack that has some compression straps. These are straps that cinch down the body of the pack so that the things inside do not shift around as much while bringing the center of gravity towards your back.

Some other things to look for are load-lifter straps on the shoulder straps. These will help bring the pack closer to the body and help bring the center of gravity closer in line to your center of gravity. And also look for a sternum strap.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:15 AM
Shangri la

Thanked 46,485 Times in 15,653 Posts

Ospray"s the new Northface, superior product but not mainstream yet.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/

......this is not a commercial.
The Following User Says Thank You to rover For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2011, 02:26 AM
Maximus

Thanked 13,893 Times in 6,179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover View Post
Ospray"s the new Northface, superior product but not mainstream yet.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/

......this is not a commercial.
Osprey, Arcteryx, Mountain Hardwear, and Deuter are all great daypack companies that I would consider. Gregory also (though I personally feel they are slipping a little).
Old 10-08-2011, 09:15 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,510 Times in 514 Posts

If you buy North Face, stay away from the cheaper stuff. Much of it is glorified school backpacks. They will not handle any kind of a load most people put on their BOB's. If you buy their higher priced stuff that they expect to be used by serious hikers and backpackers, the quality is good. After using alot of packs over the years for various uses, I now stick with Blackhawk and Maxpedition. I also learned the hardway, to avoid Oakley. Just expensive crap. However, very fashionable.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:56 PM

http://www.mysteryranch.com/site/index.html

If its in the budget check them out.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Prepared

Thanked 12,516 Times in 5,831 Posts

North Face = Chinese nylon. I'm going to put a plug in for a Minnesota company, Duluth Pack: http://duluthpack.com/outdoor-gear/c...acks-backpacks.

These are designed and made by Americans, will last half a century or more, and you'll probably be able to re-sell it for a good percentage of what you bought it for. There are a few others in this league also.

I used to have a North Face for my main BOB, but decided to switch to a Duluth Pack. Actually, I have several packs, including a North Face winter expedition pack (Snow Leopard), and the crux of the problem is that I have too many activities to be covered with any single pack.

BOB
BOB - winter
Camping
Dayhike
Bird-watching / plant identification trip
Amateur radio / geocaching trip
etc....

So I end up with a few half-empty packs, and shifting gear between them, depending on what I'm planning to do.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonKevin View Post
The North Face backpacks are sweeet! I have a Solarus 30 that is about 5 years old that is awesome. They say it is not waterproof, but I have been in some pretty good rain and have not gotten the stuff inside wet. I agree with the previous post on get some waterproof spray in the can and waterproof it like that. The Solarus is a little bit for school but The North Face makes some great stuff!

And if you get it from REI it is guaranteed for life!
thats bc theres a difference between "waterproof" and "water resistant"

get a good dry storage bag that you can line the inside of ANY pack with and it will keep the contents dry regardless if the exterior of the pack is wet