Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Food and water
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files



Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 10:54 PM
the natural the natural is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: midwest
Posts: 17
Thanks: 12
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Best deals on long term food storage?



Advertise Here

This prices seem ok. Any other good buys out there?



http://www.thereadystore.com/food-st...6-month-supply
Old 10-05-2011, 10:58 PM
MadPrepper MadPrepper is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Zone 9b
Age: 58
Posts: 1,470
Thanks: 263
Thanked 1,406 Times in 614 Posts
Default

Affiliate link? Really?
Old 10-06-2011, 06:58 AM
Tampagt07 Tampagt07 is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West of Tampa (Fl)
Age: 45
Posts: 1,887
Thanks: 3,386
Thanked 2,837 Times in 1,135 Posts
Default

The best deal I found was Samsclub online...1 year- 4 person for under $3000...

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...Id=prod2411209
Old 10-06-2011, 07:07 AM
goose3's Avatar
goose3 goose3 is offline
Capability, not scenarios
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,971
Thanks: 24,496
Thanked 24,960 Times in 7,532 Posts
Default

Do make sure you examine the nutrition information for the food you buy.

I was looking at Wise Foods for a bit; they had a deal where you could request a sample.

I did (pasta alfredo), and here were my conclusions:

1. Tasted fine.
2. Tasted salty. My wife felt it was way too salty, in fact, hurt her mouth.
3. Had extremely high levels of sodium. Various entrees had between 33 and 49 percent of the daily recommended amount (!)
4. The servings did not have a lot of calories vis-a-vis the number of calories an average person might need in a day. A "serving" of 200 calories doesn't get you very far.
5. It is pricey for all that.

Now, I don't presume to apply this conclusion to all LTS foods. You simply have to check. But when you do, check the nutrition information and number of calories; you may be surprised.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goose3 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2011, 07:49 AM
OhioMan's Avatar
OhioMan OhioMan is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 24,600
Thanks: 59,103
Thanked 57,069 Times in 17,316 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose3 View Post
Do make sure you examine the nutrition information for the food you buy.

I was looking at Wise Foods for a bit; they had a deal where you could request a sample.

I did (pasta alfredo), and here were my conclusions:

1. Tasted fine.
2. Tasted salty. My wife felt it was way too salty, in fact, hurt her mouth.
3. Had extremely high levels of sodium. Various entrees had between 33 and 49 percent of the daily recommended amount (!)
4. The servings did not have a lot of calories vis-a-vis the number of calories an average person might need in a day. A "serving" of 200 calories doesn't get you very far.
5. It is pricey for all that.

Now, I don't presume to apply this conclusion to all LTS foods. You simply have to check. But when you do, check the nutrition information and number of calories; you may be surprised.
That's exactly what I have seen, extremely low calories. I have no idea why anyone would pay 2K-4K for these rip-off deals. You can do it yourself sooooo much better and cheaper. I can only imagine how many high quality meals I can put together with 2K.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OhioMan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2011, 08:28 AM
Tampagt07 Tampagt07 is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West of Tampa (Fl)
Age: 45
Posts: 1,887
Thanks: 3,386
Thanked 2,837 Times in 1,135 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMan View Post
That's exactly what I have seen, extremely low calories. I have no idea why anyone would pay 2K-4K for these rip-off deals. You can do it yourself sooooo much better and cheaper. I can only imagine how many high quality meals I can put together with 2K.
I bought then one from Samsclub (1 year-4 person), because at the time I was working alot and I really didn't have time to shop and build my own stash..It was very convienent to do it this way..Now that I have a little more time, I have been adding to my storage with better quality food. It does take time to plan, shop, and properly store food..Now it's a no brainer..

Also I'll add that for $3000 divided by 336 numer ten cans comes out to an average of $9 a can, which is a little pricey, but not out of the ball park..
Old 10-06-2011, 10:39 AM
the natural the natural is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: midwest
Posts: 17
Thanks: 12
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I was looking for shelf life on the sams club website and couldn't find it. Also did you get a chance to try any of the meals? How does it taste?
Old 10-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Tampagt07 Tampagt07 is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West of Tampa (Fl)
Age: 45
Posts: 1,887
Thanks: 3,386
Thanked 2,837 Times in 1,135 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the natural View Post
I was looking for shelf life on the sams club website and couldn't find it. Also did you get a chance to try any of the meals? How does it taste?
It really depends on what type of food..I believe it's anywhere from 5-30 years, again depending on wether rice, wheat, etc..Depends on temp/humidty it's stored in also..

Actually, I have not tried any of it yet, I don't really plan on rotating through it. Even though I should...I've heard good things about it...I plan on using it combined with my other food storage when the time comes..
Old 10-06-2011, 11:09 AM
Rascals's Avatar
Rascals Rascals is offline
Never Give up
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Portland Or
Posts: 6,886
Thanks: 9,792
Thanked 12,255 Times in 3,962 Posts
Default

I find there prices more expensive. We go with http://beprepared.com/ . For the packaged stuff but for real bulk we did it our selfs and saved tons of cost. But we have 35 people and we went for long term. We bu wheat and rice by the ton and package it our selfs and saved lots of money. In fact right now is the time to be getting bulk wheat. We are going to get another 14, 55 gallon drums tomorrow. We can get them with the barrels for 55 dollars a barrel so thats 375 pounds each barrel so we are paying 3.66 per 25# thats not to bad. When Wal mart wants 18.00 a bag.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:13 AM
greenhorn's Avatar
greenhorn greenhorn is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: western washington
Posts: 4,586
Thanks: 2,819
Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,680 Posts
Default

A recent Canning excercise to store dry goods using a Can Sealer was conducted with 19 Number 10 cans getting filled for $59 in dryed goods and $35 for Cans this gave me One 1500 ML oxygen absorber per can and food grade cans that where lined for Direct food contact. It took less then a Hour to Pack, seal, and label the cans with 3 people. Based on the Quantity and Cost I can not wait to do this again to establish a Second Cashe of Food for SHTF, at a very reasonsable cost.
Pinto Beans 1 each
Instant White Rice 4 each
Quick Oats oat meal 2 each
Krusteaz baking Mix 3 each
Salt 1 each
Spagetti noodles 3 each
Non Fat powdered milk 2 each
Buttermilk Bisuit mix 1 each
Bannana chips 1 each
Instant mash potatos 1each

Final cost per Number 10 can is $4.95 each, an I got to pick and chose brands of food that I like, and learn something new.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greenhorn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2011, 11:58 AM
MikeK's Avatar
MikeK MikeK is offline
Walking methane refinery
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Age: 51
Posts: 48,568
Thanks: 86,792
Thanked 96,801 Times in 31,780 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose3 View Post
Now, I don't presume to apply this conclusion to all LTS foods. You simply have to check. But when you do, check the nutrition information and number of calories; you may be surprised.
The prepared entrees are the main offender there. That's why I don't buy them. Not to mention the appetite fatigue from eating them over and over and the lack of variety. I store individual ingredients and make all sorts of various foods out of them. That way I can control the salt level, use seasonings that we prefer, and can make a variety of foods from all over the world with the same basic staples.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:11 PM
MikeK's Avatar
MikeK MikeK is offline
Walking methane refinery
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Age: 51
Posts: 48,568
Thanks: 86,792
Thanked 96,801 Times in 31,780 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampagt07 View Post
Actually, I have not tried any of it yet, I don't really plan on rotating through it. Even though I should...I've heard good things about it...I plan on using it combined with my other food storage when the time comes..
That's how I started my food storage too. I started with a freeze dried year's supply. Then I bought a second one and decided to test it by living on it, and realized that it was a terrible choice for me. So I went with dehydrated seperate ingredients instead, and added home packed beans, grains, store bought and home canned meats, etc.

I've been cooking out of my food storage for well over a decade and this system has worked out perfectly for my needs. I found out that it's really important to test your food storage for more than just a few meals. And even more important to really learn how to cook with it. It's totally different than cooking with fresh ingredients, but the foods you can make are unlimited once you get the hang of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2011, 12:23 PM
LiamFisher's Avatar
LiamFisher LiamFisher is offline
On Twitter @liamkfisher
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 428
Thanks: 280
Thanked 664 Times in 198 Posts
Default

Just save yourself money and buy and re-package bulk foods.
http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...8&postcount=19

Easy peasy. Long term, cheap, no hassle.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:31 PM
kev's Avatar
kev kev is offline
Forum Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Texas
Age: 46
Posts: 14,780
Thanks: 1,661
Thanked 31,993 Times in 6,730 Posts
Default

My long term food preps are in 3 phases

mylar bags - dried foods I buy locally

#10 cans - bought from emergency essentials

seeds - bought from a local feed and fertilizer store.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:10 PM
keangnt's Avatar
keangnt keangnt is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 152
Thanks: 61
Thanked 106 Times in 59 Posts
Default

My food storage is in three parts:

Short term food from the store:
6 months to a year worth

Cases of #10 cans from the LDS Cannery

And
Bulk foods from Sams, sealed in Mylar and 5 gal buckets.

The LDS is only slightly more expensive per lb of food and the boxes store nicely.

I think I'll continue getting food from both sources.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:32 PM
Sparky10's Avatar
Sparky10 Sparky10 is offline
Livin' life
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Age: 33
Posts: 216
Thanks: 28
Thanked 198 Times in 101 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascals View Post
I find there prices more expensive. We go with http://beprepared.com/ . For the packaged stuff but for real bulk we did it our selfs and saved tons of cost. But we have 35 people and we went for long term. We bu wheat and rice by the ton and package it our selfs and saved lots of money. In fact right now is the time to be getting bulk wheat. We are going to get another 14, 55 gallon drums tomorrow. We can get them with the barrels for 55 dollars a barrel so thats 375 pounds each barrel so we are paying 3.66 per 25# thats not to bad. When Wal mart wants 18.00 a bag.
Where do you get such bulk purchases from? I would love to go in with some other people and buy mega bulk to save money, but I don't know where to purchase from.
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
#10 cans, bulk food, emergency rations, freeze dried food, long term food storage, rations, stockpiling food, stockpiling food for shtf, storing bulk food



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Long Term Storage of FOOD PrepperGirl Food and water 43 12-02-2012 09:59 PM
Long Term Food Storage wvzombie DIY - Do It Yourself 7 06-20-2011 12:44 PM
Long-term storage of pet food angieg5966 Food and water 34 12-14-2010 11:20 AM
long term food storage goesboom Food and water 27 03-06-2010 03:30 PM
Long-Term Food Storage stroyeror Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 07-10-2009 05:53 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Kevin Felts 2006 - 2012,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net