Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 10-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Prepared

Default Atlas Mason Jar Question

Advertise Here

Hi,

Has any one used the Atlas Mason Jar that come with Classico Tomato Sauce for water bath canning or pressure canning? A standard Ball ring seems to fit but was looking to someone who has used them before I give them a try. Thanks.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:19 PM

I buy that sauce just for the jar too. I know they work in a boiler canner but I don't know about the pressure canner since I don't own one yet.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,269 Times in 1,142 Posts

We have some old Atlas jars. They are much heavier than new canning jars.
I haven't seen the new Atlas jars.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:31 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 29,990 Times in 13,204 Posts

Atlas is adamant about NOT using those jars in a canner as they will explode. They are not thick enough to be reused over and over again.

They are great for dry good storage though.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Trapper

I use the jars for pickles and peppers because I don't have to water bath can them. Then my good canning jars are used for other things that need to be water bath or pressure canned.
The Following User Says Thank You to norcalmom For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Ron Swanson 2016

Thanked 25,529 Times in 13,358 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

This is from the jar manufacturer

Quote:
"We do not recommend re-using the Atlas-Mason jars used to package our Classico Sauces. A coating is applied at the glass plant to reduce scratching and scuffing. If scratched, the jar becomes weaker at this point and can more easily break. This would increase the risk of the jar breaking when used for canning. Also, the lighter weight of our current jar could make it unsafe for home canning."
I use them to vacuum seal seeds and dehydrated food, nothing else. Hope it helps.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKraken View Post
Atlas is adamant about NOT using those jars in a canner as they will explode. They are not thick enough to be reused over and over again.

They are great for dry good storage though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBooker44 View Post

I use them to vacuum seal seeds and dehydrated food, nothing else. Hope it helps.
I appreciate the education. I had used them before but won't anymore.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hackman72 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2011, 11:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,860 Times in 2,065 Posts

I've used these for pickles, and it's fine. They've only seen one re-use though. Perhaps after time they will not work? I wouldn't risk it with pressure canning though.

If you're only buying the sauce for the jar, you'd be better off getting the 99 sauce from Aldi (that comes in a glass jar) and buying actual canning jars. But if you'd buy the sauce even if it was a plastic container, then score for you!

I read in a post somewhere (maybe on this forum?) that companies often just package their food in mason-like jars to give it more of a "home" feel but that it's just a normal jar.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dealfinder500 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2011, 08:37 AM
Prepared

Quote:

Thanks. I did not think to go to the corporate website for information, this was very useful. I will stick with the Ball jars I have been using.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:11 AM
Ron Swanson 2016

Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

That came from an email from the company. Another Master Food Preserver I know checked it out and shared it with our group.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:11 PM

If you are looking for jars check you're local recyling center. Where I live they will save them and usually have some they hold back for people to reuse. Best part they are free.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:21 PM
Keep Honking. Im Reloadin

Thanked 3,054 Times in 957 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 

Couple of years ago I decided to do some "hands-on" research pertaining to the Atlas Mason jars. I posted my "findings" on another website. Sadly my lengthy write up is gone. But all is not lost. In a nutshell I compared the weights of several different brands of glass jars. As expected, each brand, in a comparison of Pint Vs. Quart has very consistent differences. I don't recollect the exact numbers but maybe I look into this again.

I compared, Ball, Kerr, and Golden Harvest. Overall each brand was consistent. What may surprise you is that you would expect a Quart jar to have twice the weight of glass as a Pint. Well, in short, they don't. Without having the numbers, I can tell you that percentage wise, the Atlas Mason 1.5 Pint jar has more glass then what would be expected, mass to ratio.

As far as im concerned they want to perpetuate this myth in order to sell more empty canning jars. I have yet to have a failure in both water canner and pressure canner.

Im going to see if I can dig up my "research".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FarmerChad For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2011, 10:22 PM

Awards Showcase
Default Here we go....

Ok, I couldn't find what I was looking for. So I gathered up some jars of each brand and repeated the numbers. For reference I weighed each jar, empty (obviously) on my kitchen scale in grams. The scale is an "Escali" brand. Sorry, no $5,000 dollar lab scale. I think for our purposes it will do just fine.

I weighed Ball, Golden Harvest, Kerr and Classico/Atlas Mason.

Ball Pint: 240 g.
Ball Quart: 442 g.
Ball Half Gallon: 709 g. (just for fun )

GH Pint: 239 g.
GH Quart: 397 g.

Kerr Pint: 262 g.
Kerr Quart: 379 g.

As you can see, each brand is different. Now for the difference between a Pint and a Quart (in the respective brand):

Ball: 202 g.
GH: 158 g.
Kerr: 117g.

The average difference being 159 g.

So.. when you go from pint UPTO a quart, the jars do not increase in weight by 100%. Which is what I would expect, or darn close. So with each brand, when increasing in glass weight, from pint to quart:

Ball: 84% (pretty good)
GH: 66%
Kerr: 44% (what? yes I double checked this number)

So, essentially the Kerr brand jars, don't increase by even half.

So, I decided to estimate what a 1 1/2 pint (Atlas Mason size) would theoretically weigh, based on the law of averages. So if the "brand" made a 1 1/2 pint it should weigh:

Ball: 341 g.
GH: 319 g.
Kerr: 321 g.

The average between those is 327 g.

Ok, where does that leave us? The Classico/Atlas Mason pint and a half or 1 1/2 pint (whichever you prefer) weighs:

363 g.

Far more then what the average should be. On another note it weighs almost as much as the Kerr Quart. Weighing only 16 g. less. It weighs 34 grams less then a Golden Harvest brand.

Just for fun, and not included in the picture I also weighed a Classico/Atlas Mason quart. It weighs 458 g. That is more then any other brand of quart I have.

So there you have it. On averages, the Atlas Mason jar weighs more then it needs to based on the weight of the glass. I realize that this is not the most scientific test... I do feel though that they don't want us to use the jars for misc. legal reasons, and to sell more empty jars.

I find it hard to beleive that these jars are not acceptable for home use. And if im not mistaken at one time these jars WERE available from Jarden Home brands. Which makes all of these brands. Essentially they fell out of favor due to the odd size. Jarden did have an FAQ that stated if the consumer interest was high enough, they would make them available again for consumer purchase. That is yet to be seen.

I have zero intentions to stop using the Atlas Mason jars. You can decide for your self.

Oh yeah, remember I said that the Atlas weighs 34 g. less then the GH Quart? Just how much, in weight, is 34 g.? I took a picture of a salad fork from my kitchen drawer. It weighs 32 g. Keep that in mind.
Attached Thumbnails
jars.jpg   fork.jpg  
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to FarmerChad For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:

That's what I use them for too. They work perfectly for my dehydrated foods. I vacuum seal and add a O2 absorber (I also wear suspenders and a belt! )
Old 10-07-2011, 11:02 PM
Ron Swanson 2016

Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades View Post
(I also wear suspenders and a belt! )
Old 10-08-2011, 03:15 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerChad View Post
Couple of years ago I decided to do some "hands-on" research pertaining to the Atlas Mason jars. I posted my "findings" on another website. Sadly my lengthy write up is gone. But all is not lost. In a nutshell I compared the weights of several different brands of glass jars. As expected, each brand, in a comparison of Pint Vs. Quart has very consistent differences. I don't recollect the exact numbers but maybe I look into this again.

I compared, Ball, Kerr, and Golden Harvest. Overall each brand was consistent. What may surprise you is that you would expect a Quart jar to have twice the weight of glass as a Pint. Well, in short, they don't. Without having the numbers, I can tell you that percentage wise, the Atlas Mason 1.5 Pint jar has more glass then what would be expected, mass to ratio.

As far as im concerned they want to perpetuate this myth in order to sell more empty canning jars. I have yet to have a failure in both water canner and pressure canner.

Im going to see if I can dig up my "research".
The weight of the glass has little to do with it's strength, it's the actual make up of the glass and the type of annealing process it goes through that causes it to be stronger.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:09 AM
Prepared

Location: not where I should be, but headed in that direction

well Im here to pop in with my 2 cents concerning the classico sauce jars: "THEY" can tell ya anything they want,( the manufacturer that is) and u can make ur own decisions, but I for one will continue to use their sauce jars in my water bathing AND pressure canning . Dont ya all know that "bona fide" cannning jars can also break in ur canner/water bather?? and for the record Ive NEVER had one bust while being pressure or water bathed and they have been reused for over 7 yrs now. My twin does her canning in these as well as other members of another forumn I belong to. Hope this helps !!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to paulareds For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2011, 08:04 AM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKraken View Post
The weight of the glass has little to do with it's strength, it's the actual make up of the glass and the type of annealing process it goes through that causes it to be stronger.
I understand what your saying. But, if they (jarden) would be 100% honest it would be helpful. Know what I mean?

I still beleive that they are more interested in selling empty jars then reusing of the current jars. Sure, eventually any jar will fail, its a matter of time.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:07 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerChad View Post
I understand what your saying. But, if they (jarden) would be 100% honest it would be helpful. Know what I mean?

I still beleive that they are more interested in selling empty jars then reusing of the current jars. Sure, eventually any jar will fail, its a matter of time.
I know what you mean, and just because something has worked doesn't make it correct if you know what I mean.

Spaghetti jars aren't for canning, just as a pressure cooker isn't a pressure canner.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:54 PM
Hiker

I would save the ones that weren't designed for reuse and pressure canning for water bath foods like spaghetti sauce pickles or jelly. You can pickle other vegetables too in a water bath.

I got a bunch that the standard size rings didn't fit at Goodwill and used them for dehydrated vegetables and drinking glasses. Waste not want not.

Last edited by scienceteacher; 10-08-2011 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: added
The Following User Says Thank You to scienceteacher For This Useful Post: