Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 09-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Prepared

Default Whats the best site to buy guns online

Advertise Here

I have been looking at all the online sites for buying guns, I guess there all about the same price, give or take. Whats your favorite site?
Old 09-28-2011, 09:40 AM
Pull up your Dora panties

Thanked 16,518 Times in 4,458 Posts

buying on line is a last resort. while it may seem cheaper, you must take into account shipping fees, and FFL fees. while an FFL may have cost you $10 a decade ago, today they are $50-$100 dollars per gun. gun shops and pawn shops have gotten tired of losing out on sales to online stores so they make thier money off of the FFL fee.

if you take the fees into account, and still find a good deal, then you next need to take into account that you are buying a gun "sight-unseen". you cant inspect it for flaws or damage. i've seen people get guns that dont match the description at all. if there is any type of problem then you are stuck dealing with some person on-line or on the phone hundred of miles away. if you have to ship it back thats gonna be more fees and you can expect not to get reimbursed for that.

at the very least go and look at and try and fire a matching firearm before purchasing on-line. there are lots of good and reputable sights out there, you just need to be careful who you buy from on those sights, because thye may not be trust worthy. find someone who has a positive history of sales.

good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to VINCENT For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2011, 10:12 AM
just me and mine

If you must buy online, then Gunbroker.com or Auctionarms.com are the way to go. They both have thousands of guns, and both sell from businesses and private owners.

BUT, like VINCENT said, they are the more expensive way to go. But if you have no other option other than online, then there you go.
The Following User Says Thank You to northidahofisher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2011, 10:41 AM
Hunter

most of my gun purchases have been through gunbroker auctions. I usually come out cheaper than local prices on a particular gun that i might be trying to find used.

stores I have shopped at with good experiences are
budsgunshop.com
aimsurplus.com
cdnninvestments.com
centerfiresystems.com
jgsales.com
summitgunbroker.com
palmettostatearmory.com
ombexpress.com

best place to find current gun deals is
slickdeals.com
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to indie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,140 Times in 1,638 Posts

I've bought from Buds Gun Shop several times, great service and never has a problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to TRM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Noman

Thanked 1,375 Times in 427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINCENT View Post
buying on line is a last resort. while it may seem cheaper, you must take into account shipping fees, and FFL fees. while an FFL may have cost you $10 a decade ago, today they are $50-$100 dollars per gun. gun shops and pawn shops have gotten tired of losing out on sales to online stores so they make thier money off of the FFL fee.

if you take the fees into account, and still find a good deal, then you next need to take into account that you are buying a gun "sight-unseen". you cant inspect it for flaws or damage. i've seen people get guns that dont match the description at all. if there is any type of problem then you are stuck dealing with some person on-line or on the phone hundred of miles away. if you have to ship it back thats gonna be more fees and you can expect not to get reimbursed for that.

at the very least go and look at and try and fire a matching firearm before purchasing on-line. there are lots of good and reputable sights out there, you just need to be careful who you buy from on those sights, because thye may not be trust worthy. find someone who has a positive history of sales.

good luck.
+1 to the people who have mentioned budsgunshop.com The folks there are awesome and there service is top notch. They have free shipping on a LOT of their guns, and also have a great return policy if there are flaws with your gun. Vincent, I agree with you on some points but I disagree with some also. Let me explain. I used to buy guns locally but now I buy online unless there is just an amazing deal locally. The gun stores usually have quit a large markup on their guns. They charge 15-18% in most cases. They have overhead, electrity bills, etc...You also have to take into account sales tax which is usually around 8%.

If you do some searching around you can find an FFL that does his business out of his house. He has no empoyees to pay so he can get away with a low FFL fee. I found a guy here in SA that charges 15 dollars for an FFL fee. With free shipping from budsgunshop, you really come out on top.

As far as not being to inspect the gun when you buy online, (while that may be true)....when you go to pick up your gun from the FFL, look over it thoroughly! if you see any visual flaws don't accept it. I bring snap caps with me and always check the extraction for any problems. If you see something that doesn't sit well with you DON'T accept it. They will send it back to the dealer and refund your money or send you another one.

There is also a period (3 days in most cases) where you can test fire the gun. If there are problems most of the time you can send it back free of charge.

So really what I am trying to say is that if you do your homework there is really no way that buying locally is cheaper than buying online. I bought a Smith and Wesson 686P online for $678.00 shipped from buds. That same gun at the gun shop was $765.00 plus tax. If I bought locally I'd be looking at $800.00 out of my pocket vs $693.00

If you do some research and don't mind waiting a few days for your gun do arrive you're really better off buying online.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:10 PM
Doubts Most Everything

Thanked 2,938 Times in 1,615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie View Post
cdnninvestments.com...
Big +1, if they have what you want, very difficult to beat it walk-in, at least here in TN.

Especially Ruger stuff, they seem to have some sort of unique relationship with Ruger.

I recently bought a Mini14 tactical that came out better part of $100 cheaper than best deal around here, even paying the (reasonable) shipping and $30 transfer/4473 fees.

- OS
Old 09-28-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:

good luck.
Its actually comes out about the same or cheaper buying online for me. Transfers are only 20- 25 dollars here, shipping average about 15.00. Then consider I dont have to pay sales tax, which is 9.5% in Tn
Old 09-28-2011, 04:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,689 Times in 2,244 Posts

budsguns or kentuckyguns.com
Old 09-28-2011, 05:09 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,338 Times in 909 Posts

Umm, not sure where folks are getting their info, but you aren't going to beat buds online prices anywhere. They ship for free, and they have a list of FFLs in your area they deal with. It is extremely easy to find an FFL that will do a transfer for $25 plus the $25 background check fee you would have to pay anyways.

I don't know about everyone's math skills, so trust me when I say that a $25 transfer fee is going to be much less than any amount of sales tax you would ever pay, so if your state has a sales tax rest assured any gun will be cheaper online from buds.

Brick and mortar gun shops are the biggest rip offs in America. I only use them to physically hold guns I am about to buy online.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2011, 05:12 PM
Illic Ero Eventus

Quote:

good luck.
Maybe true in your area, but in GA, where I work, we still charge only $15 for the transfer fee. If you live in GA, pm me and I'll let you know where we are.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:18 PM
Always have an exit

Thanked 5,674 Times in 2,188 Posts

I enjoy online auctions myself, never been burned and I set my price. If I do not win then so be it. I have also purchased from Buds on 3 occasions and he is hard to beat.

So I say both. Shipping/FFL fees average about $40.00.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:22 PM
The sword in the darkness

Thanked 9,587 Times in 2,998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRM View Post
I've bought from Buds Gun Shop several times, great service and never has a problem.
+1 on that for Buds...
Old 09-28-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
Umm, not sure where folks are getting their info, but you aren't going to beat buds online prices anywhere. They ship for free, and they have a list of FFLs in your area they deal with. It is extremely easy to find an FFL that will do a transfer for $25 plus the $25 background check fee you would have to pay anyways.

I don't know about everyone's math skills, so trust me when I say that a $25 transfer fee is going to be much less than any amount of sales tax you would ever pay, so if your state has a sales tax rest assured any gun will be cheaper online from buds.

Brick and mortar gun shops are the biggest rip offs in America. I only use them to physically hold guns I am about to buy online.
Well, I don't know if I'd make that big of a generalization as there are times that I find a better deal than buds but they generally do have the best price. My total cost for an FFL transfer is $25 (not $25+ $25 where I'm at) However, my dealer always tells me to contact him first to see if he can get it through his distributor cheaper. If so, he can make a couple bucks and I can save a few bucks.

Overall, buds has excellent prices and a majority of the time the best but to imply they have the best prices on every single gun, every single day simply isn't true.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to survivalworld For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2011, 05:33 PM
Prepared

I've got my best deals off the different forums. I've done many FTF and I've only been hosed twice on a gun that was listed as mint and came in with big scratches. Once from a private seller out of state and once from an auction house.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:34 PM

Gunbroker is pretty great. Can find some good deals on there if you're willing to wait it out. I also use www.armslist.com. It's like craigslist, but for firearms. You can find stuff locally from private sellers.

My $0.02
Old 09-28-2011, 08:22 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,121 Times in 435 Posts

the other good thing about buying from buds is the layaway program. something goes on sale you want - buy it on layaway and pay for it over 90 days.

the other site i really like is galleryofguns.com. not because of their prices but because of their warranty. they warranty everything they sale as opposed to sending something back to the manufacturer. the last time i had an issue they replaced my weapon no questions asked 3 days later. AND I MEAN NO QUESTIONS ASKED. i told them it had a crack in the slide and she sent out a shipping request and a new gun for me.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:09 PM
Hunter

Thanked 5,385 Times in 524 Posts

http://www.armslist.com For used local guns sold face to face.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle Scout Survivor For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2011, 10:57 PM

check out jetguns.com they are owned by buds but they are cheaper. also they do not charge you more to use a credit card and still has free shipping
Old 09-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
Umm, not sure where folks are getting their info, but you aren't going to beat buds online prices anywhere.

While I have purchased two or three times from buds. And I love buds and listed it as one of my favorite online stores. They consistantly have GOOD prices compared to most competitors, but they are not the only place to look because they can be beat on particular items. If you dont feel like shopping around, buds usually isnt going to over charge you for a gun.

I beat buds or online prices quite often locally. And my local stores have 90 day layaway, and even if you cant pay it off in 90 days will work with you.

For example, I can go to a local store and get a NIB XD full size or compact in 9mm or 40sw for $399

Another store I can get a NIB Ruger SR9, SR9c, SR40 or SR40c for 374.

NIB Smith M&P or M&P in 9mm, 40sw or 357 sig for $398 with THREE mags. Or $455 with three mags and trijicon night sights.

I can get a used police trade in Glock 22 gen 3 with night sights for $309 or $299 for gen 2.

im often able to find stuff locally out the door(tax included) cheaper than buds prices before transfer fees. But if I'm looking for something that I know my local stores probably dont have, I look to the internet, and on a few occassions buds has won out.