Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Rifle Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 09-23-2011, 11:05 AM
Man of constant sorrow

Thanked 3,379 Times in 1,168 Posts
Exclamation WARNING! Hyper Velocity .22 Rimfire Warnings

Advertise Here

WARNING: Hyper Velocity .22 Rimfire Ammo Difficulties

ONE :Avoid CCI Hyper Velocity Ammo in match grade chambers!

You should be VERY careful if you have a .22 Long Rifle Rimfire firearm with a Match Grade or Bentz chambered barrel and use some Hyper Velocity Ammunition.

Match grade chambered barrels have very tight tolerances for measurements to give better ammuntion performance. A Bentz chamber is basically a match grade chamber for a semi-automatic. Most after market barrels for the Ruger 10-22 have these type of chambers, other firearms have them built with them originally.

There are, or should be, warnings on CCI Stinger and CCI Quick Shock .22 LR ammunition that they SHOULD NOT be shot out of any match grade chamber. The SHELL part of the ammunition is just slightly longer than regular .22 LR shells and is made of a stronger metal. usually brass. This is done because to get the bullet to hyper velocities, it is lighter and shorter than the standard 38 and 40 grain .22 rimfire bullets, so they had to extend the brass shell. If one of these rounds are chambered in a Match chamber, the hard part of the shell will jam into the very end of the chamber and foul up the inside rim where the grooves and lands start for the rifling. Once this happens, usually the barrel is totalled.

If you are not sure about your firearm and barrel, call a gunsmith or the manufacturer!

Marlin 880 SQ : Heavy barrel bolt action , first run, these early ones had a MATCH GRADE chamber and should not be used with these CCI rounds. Later 880 SQ's had a different chamber that was not a FULL MATCH chambering. call Marlin with your serial number to confirm!

Two: Warning Hyper Velocity Ammo and Eccessive Wear!

Hyper Velocity ammo has more recoil force than High Velocity ammo... i know, go figure right? LOL. anyway, Hyper V's can cause damage or even failure if used in certain firearms.

Marlin Semi-autos: these have small plastic bolt buffers that can be broken with the extra pounding they take, i have had two broken, just with high velocity rounds.

Ruger 10-22 : the recievers can and will crack, ive seen it. to avoid damage to recievers replace the hard metal bolt buffer pin with a softer after market one. it'll quiet the shooting a little too. i in fact recommend this for ALL 10-22's!

Walther P-22: the slide is made of a softer alloy metal and will start to crack or break if Hypers are used too much.

Those are the ones i know of, if anyone else has any others please post. Hope this helps somebody in the future.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrowed time View Post
WARNING: Hyper Velocity Ammo Difficulties

ONE :Avoid CCI Hyper Velocity Ammo in match grade chambers!

You should be VERY careful if you have a .22 Long Rifle Rimfire firearm with a Match Grade or Bentz chambered barrel and use some Hyper Velocity Ammunition.

Match grade chambered barrels have very tight tolerances for measurements to give better ammuntion performance. A Bentz chamber is basically a match grade chamber for a semi-automatic. Most after market barrels for the Ruger 10-22 have these type of chambers, other firearms have them built with them originally.

There are, or should be, warnings on CCI Stinger and CCI Quick Shock .22 LR ammunition that they SHOULD NOT be shot out of any match grade chamber. The SHELL part of the ammunition is just slightly longer than regular .22 LR shells and is made of a stronger metal. usually brass. If one of these rounds are chambered in a Match chamber, the hard part of the shell will jam into the very end of the chamber and foul up the inside rim where the grooves and lands start for the rifling. Once this happens, usually the barrel is totalled.

If you are not sure about you firearm and barrel, call a gunsmith or the manufacturer!

Two: Warning Hyper Velocity Ammo and Eccessive Wear!

Hyper Velocity ammo has more recoil force than High Velocity ammo... i know, go figure right? LOL. anyway, Hyper V's can cause damage or even failure if used in certain firearms.

Marlin Semi-autos: these have small plastic bolt buffers that can be broken with the extra pounding they take, i have had two broken, just with high velocity rounds.

Ruger 10-22 : the recievers can and will crack, ive seen it. to avoid damage to recievers replace the hard metal bolt buffer pin with a softer after market one. it'll quiet the shooting a little too. i in fact recommend this for ALL 10-22's!

Walther P-22: the slide is made of a softer alloy metal and will start to crack or break if Hypers are used too much.

Those are the ones i know of, if anyone else has any others please post. Hope this helps somebody in the future.
I wonder if mini mags are bad for a Winchester 63
Old 09-23-2011, 11:53 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,786 Times in 2,682 Posts

thanks for the heads up
The Following User Says Thank You to 223shootersc For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Trapper

I have both the ruger and the walther thanks for the info.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sanderhawk For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Man of constant sorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childofthecorn View Post
CCI Mini-mags are fine, i shoot them in my match grade Clerke bull barrel 10-22. the only ammo with the longer shells is the CCI Stinger and CCI Quick shock Hyper Velocity rounds.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:27 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 91,446 Times in 30,576 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childofthecorn View Post
Mini mags are not hyper velocity rounds. You can use them in any gun chambered for .22 LR.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Retired Army

Thanked 4,503 Times in 1,452 Posts

Love this sight... learn something every time.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daddyusmaximus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2011, 12:45 AM
I Sleep with my Boots ON!

Thanked 1,069 Times in 519 Posts

I've shot thousands of stingers through my 20 year old 10/22, no trouble at all. I just bought 2 bricks of stingers and all my 10/22's eat'em up..

Good to know though..
Old 09-25-2011, 01:24 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 91,446 Times in 30,576 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinCT View Post
I've shot thousands of stingers through my 20 year old 10/22, no trouble at all. I just bought 2 bricks of stingers and all my 10/22's eat'em up..

Good to know though..
They shoot fine in standard chambers. That's what they are designed for. It's the match grade chambers that have problems with them. Though it's always a good idea to install the polymer buffer in 10/22s, even when using normal ammo. That buffer pin idea was not one of Ruger's better designs.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2011, 04:03 PM
I Sleep with my Boots ON!

Thanked 1,069 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
They shoot fine in standard chambers. That's what they are designed for. It's the match grade chambers that have problems with them. Though it's always a good idea to install the polymer buffer in 10/22s, even when using normal ammo. That buffer pin idea was not one of Ruger's better designs.
My new tactical 10/22 has the Hammer forged barrel, I should probably stop them through that one..
Old 09-25-2011, 07:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,711 Times in 2,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
That buffer pin idea was not one of Ruger's better designs.
That's because it's not a buffer pin but a bolt blocking (takedown) pin, to prevent the bolt from coming back far enough to drop and jam up the weapon.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:29 PM
I'll fix it

Thanked 1,839 Times in 1,019 Posts

Can you post a link where this warning notice came from?
Was it from the ammo mfg. or the firearms mfg?
Old 09-25-2011, 10:28 PM
Doubts Most Everything

Thanked 2,677 Times in 1,511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by techo View Post
As far as the 10/22, Ruger manual states not to use Stingers in their target barrel models.

- OS
Old 09-27-2011, 03:16 PM
Man of constant sorrow

Default Website for CCI and Ammo listings/Warnings

Quote:
Originally Posted by techo View Post
STINGERS

Look to the bottom of the page, printed in RED ink:
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/produc...=1&loadNo=0050

QUICK SHOK

Also, look to the bottom of the page printed in RED ink. it does not name the type of ammunition, but if you look at the catalogue number , it matches the number of the ammo in the next web sight connection below.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/produc...=1&loadNo=0064

If you look on this ammo sales sight page you will see the box design. up in the product description, notice that the CCI stock number is #0064, just like in the above CCI sales sight.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/63908-5.html

PS: Very sorry, ive been spelling Quick Shok wrong, they dropped the C in Shock. My bad!

PPS: I am NOT saying that these are bad ammunition in any way , shape, or form! i am only giving the warning of when these rounds SHOULDN'T be used is all. i have used these rounds in regular chambered firearms and have been quite pleased! thank you!
The Following User Says Thank You to Borrowed time For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Paladin of the Midwest

say i took a normal 10/22 and put a heavy barrel on it. what then?
Old 09-27-2011, 06:05 PM
Man of constant sorrow

Default Dont do it !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightblade View Post
say i took a normal 10/22 and put a heavy barrel on it. what then?
It would tear apart the very fabric of Space/Time!

Just kidding!

It all depends on the chambering, however , almost all after-market barrels for the 10-22 can be assumed to have a Bentz chambering for accuracy. the main reason to replace barrels is to squeeze as much accuracy out of it as possible, so most of the add-on barrels probably have that chambering.

to be absolutely be sure , call the manufacturer of the barrel you wish to or have purchased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Shoot View Post
As far as the 10/22, Ruger manual states not to use Stingers in their target barrel models.
- OS
Just as a side note on this warning, CCI uses the same "offending" brass shell on both the Stinger and the Quick Shok.

Best of luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Borrowed time For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2011, 12:36 AM
Paladin of the Midwest

Quote:
It would tear apart the very fabric of Space/Time!
Lol I like that

Quote:
call the manufacturer of the barrel you wish to or have purchased.
solid advice my friend I'll look into it. Thanks for the heads up
The Following User Says Thank You to Brightblade For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Man of constant sorrow

Default 400th post!!! YIPPEEE!!

hey mods, hows about making this a sticky for the rifle or general firearms section? just a helpful warning for newbies to firearms. thanks! -- Eric
Old 10-05-2011, 02:14 AM
CrackerJack Kid

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Shoot View Post

This isn't a "Match Grade" or "Bentz" chambered barrel.

It's just a bull barrel!

How does this apply to Ruger factory target models?
Old 10-05-2011, 04:02 AM
Doubts Most Everything

Thanked 2,677 Times in 1,511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M93 View Post

This isn't a "Match Grade" or "Bentz" chambered barrel.

It's just a bull barrel!

How does this apply to Ruger factory target models?
The chamber is indeed more precisely bored on the factory target model. One of my buds has one, and it's more persnickety about normal sized .22LR than the standard barrel. There are loads that tend to stick in the chamber and have to be smacked out with the charging handle, so there certainly is a difference.

He's found that Blazer 40 grain round nose is the only trouble free bulk load that also has consistent enough powder load to approximate the higher end Eley and whatnot he shoots.

So Ruger ain't just making the warning up. I read somewhere that even if the Stinger sized stuff runs okay, it erodes the chamber throat or somesuch over time, being that little bit longer.

- OS
The Following User Says Thank You to Oh Shoot For This Useful Post: