Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Rifle Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 09-21-2011, 02:39 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,312 Times in 824 Posts
Default Are there any break down rifles that can be stored compact?

Advertise Here

I've seen the AR-7, the Papoose, that 410/22lr one (can't remember the names) and the Kel-tec folders... but I'm curious if there are any real high or medium powered rifles that break down for storage in a small container. In the movies... there are lots of scenes of the professional assassin who opens his suitcase and inside is his sniper rifle in 5 different components that he easily snaps together... but I've never been able to find one of these in real life. I can find lever action Alaskan 50s and Marlin 45-70s that have been custom made to come apart in the middle so that bush pilots have an ultra compact rifle... but I've never found a real rifle that comes apart and stores like that. Do they even exist? Or is that just in the movies?

I know I can get a folder like the Kel-Tecs... but more out of curiosity than desire to get one... I'm trying to see if there is anything out there that really matches the long range sniper rifle that breaks down and fits in a small brief case. (If I spent money on something like that... I can guarantee you my wife would use it to kill me.)

The closest I can find are these... and they don't really break down all that small http://www.randyscustomrifles.com/take_down_rifles.html
Old 09-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Ding... Thanks for playin

Thanked 7,388 Times in 2,078 Posts

http://dry-fire.com/the-tac2-ar15-discreet-carry-kit

Always thought this was neat but I have no use for one...
Attached Thumbnails
urban-carry.jpg  
Old 09-21-2011, 03:45 PM
Experiment 626

Thanked 3,046 Times in 1,084 Posts

AR-15's break down into two pieces very easily. Not a "sniper" rifle, but plenty accurate enough to do just about anything you may need a compact rifle to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to robbiec For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2011, 04:41 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,312 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner-Fisherman View Post
http://dry-fire.com/the-tac2-ar15-discreet-carry-kit

Always thought this was neat but I have no use for one...
That is one cool gun!

Robb.. I agree with you. If I ever really NEED a take down rifle... I'm just going to disassemble one of my regular rifles as though I was cleaning it and bag the parts. It's the poor man's way of making a good back pack gun... and there isn't a rifle in my cabinet I can't take apart and put back together in more than a few minutes... some I can do in less than a minute if I'm just breaking it down and not cleaning it.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:15 PM
Hunter

A marlin 39-A breaks down easily and is very accurate .22 Lr. Sorry,I thought you wanted a .22 lr.

Last edited by Dirty Bill; 09-23-2011 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: content
Old 09-23-2011, 01:19 PM
Hunter

I was thinking the blaser rifle was a breakdown?
Old 09-23-2011, 01:21 PM
Hunter

Here ya go. http://www.blaser-usa.com/Precision-Rifles.41.0.html
Old 09-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,131 Times in 2,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Team View Post
I've seen the AR-7, the Papoose, that 410/22lr one (can't remember the names) and the Kel-tec folders... but I'm curious if there are any real high or medium powered rifles that break down for storage in a small container. In the movies... there are lots of scenes of the professional assassin who opens his suitcase and inside is his sniper rifle in 5 different components that he easily snaps together... but I've never been able to find one of these in real life. I can find lever action Alaskan 50s and Marlin 45-70s that have been custom made to come apart in the middle so that bush pilots have an ultra compact rifle... but I've never found a real rifle that comes apart and stores like that. Do they even exist? Or is that just in the movies?

I know I can get a folder like the Kel-Tecs... but more out of curiosity than desire to get one... I'm trying to see if there is anything out there that really matches the long range sniper rifle that breaks down and fits in a small brief case. (If I spent money on something like that... I can guarantee you my wife would use it to kill me.)

The closest I can find are these... and they don't really break down all that small http://www.randyscustomrifles.com/take_down_rifles.html
Part of the reason that they generally exist only in the movies is that when you take the multi-part gun down, you change point of impact and should sight in again before using the gun. Not the best thing for someone trying to keep a low profile.

The AR-15 and AR-10's all are two pin takedown's, the FN-FAL comes apart in the middle, the Blaser and Sauer 200/202 rifles are takedowns, Winchester 94's, Savage 99's, many older designs were made as solid frame as well as takedown's.

When you remove the barrel from the receiver, you should plan on sighting the gun in again, regardless of design. There are a few scope mounts that rigidly mount on the barrel and might stay sighted in but that's a might.

And even the best detachable scope mounts may not always return to zero. They can be off by nothing or off by feet depending on design.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:18 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 41,875 Times in 5,740 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Here is one option. Used with a long eye relief, barrel mount scope it has a good chance of holding zero.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...down--firearms

Just a thought.