Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 09-21-2011, 09:11 AM
Getting There!

Thanked 9,409 Times in 4,197 Posts
Default Raising catfish in a barrel

Advertise Here

http://www.survivalistboards.com/dow...o=file&id=1391

That's one of the survival files that I found quite interesting.

What about doing this is a large stock water tank? Or better, several tanks for keeping different aged batches going?

My head is already churning with plans to build a screened in shed to protect the fish from predators. My dogs would allow anything noisy to venture out there. Screen would stop mosquitoes and hold up a raccoon so that he may be dinner for the pups.

I cannot raise worms due to fire ants. Commercial fish food works quite well in nutrition and fast growth. If SHTF I'd have to come up with something else to feed, or just clean and freeze what I have on hand.

The aerators can probably be run with a timer and solar charged heavy truck batteries.

When and if my pond ever fills back up I can stock that, too.

The potential is there for a lot of meat with a fairly small investment. i HAVE 33 acres to play with.

Thoughts?
Old 09-21-2011, 10:13 AM

I don't know much about raisin' them in a barrel , but I hear shootin'em in a barrel is a piece of cake.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AlabamaPoleCat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2011, 12:21 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 1,149 Times in 799 Posts

Read an article years ago Guy raised earthworms from a compost pile, got good fertilizer, free fish food, and fed them feed corn too. Fast growth. With water above 55 degrees and preferably in the 70's, you can do tilapia. They grow faster, and are 90% vegitarian.

Drums of water keep greenhouse warm in winter, and fish grow faster when the waters warmer. Old poopy fish water is great for plants. Tilapia and earthworms eat plants, and the occassional worm I think its a great semi-aquaponic system.
The Following User Says Thank You to sachson For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2011, 02:52 PM
If you're an author PM me

Hmmm.

Solar air pumps as low as $30.00.
23/32 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. RTD under $20.00
6mil plastic sheeting under $20.00
Screws, wood glue and contact cement and vinyl tubing under $15.00
roughly 16"d x 16"w x 64"l functional tank for with aeration under $90.00
Build more and they get cheaper as you go along because of over purchases. A second and third tank could be longer because of left over cuts.

Solar water pumps can be had for $40.00.
I would use one for sediment settling filtration. After a few inches collect, stop flow and allow the settling to complete then siphon out the main body of water. This would further reduce the amount of water needed to replace between changes and give a thicker mass for the compost at a time.

REM,

About your fire ant problem. What about building raised worm/compost beds? I mean if you start thinking in TEOTWAWKI terms then eventually no commercial fish food.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LibraryCacher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2011, 03:27 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 1,149 Times in 799 Posts

Kurt Saxton was the dude who did catfish in a barrel Had aeriators

And remembered he also fed them dog food... Cheaper than fish chow!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sachson For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2011, 03:37 PM
Getting There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachson View Post

Read an article years ago Guy raised earthworms from a compost pile, got good fertilizer, free fish food, and fed them feed corn too. Fast growth. With water above 55 degrees and preferably in the 70's, you can do tilapia. They grow faster, and are 90% vegitarian.

Drums of water keep greenhouse warm in winter, and fish grow faster when the waters warmer. Old poopy fish water is great for plants. Tilapia and earthworms eat plants, and the occassional worm I think its a great semi-aquaponic system.
Ah! Tilapia! Even better! Thanks! I hadn't even considered them.

For the majority of the year keeping water temps down would probably be my main problem. With a tin shed to keep the sun off I think that I can do it.

As for winters, they're pretty short and mild here and getting more so each year. I'd consider putting a water heater in a closed line loop, or maybe just let them rough it and wait for spring.

"Two feet tall with an 8 diameter, this tough polyethylene stock tank with drain is molded as a single piece and will hold 625 gallons. Available in blue only."

I'm not sure if 2 feet deep is enough, but this 625 gallon tank gets good ratings and is $299:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/livesto...lastic-2177188
Old 09-21-2011, 03:41 PM
Getting There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraryCacher View Post

Hmmm.

Solar air pumps as low as $30.00.
23/32 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. RTD under $20.00
6mil plastic sheeting under $20.00
Screws, wood glue and contact cement and vinyl tubing under $15.00
roughly 16"d x 16"w x 64"l functional tank for with aeration under $90.00
Build more and they get cheaper as you go along because of over purchases. A second and third tank could be longer because of left over cuts.

Solar water pumps can be had for $40.00.
I would use one for sediment settling filtration. After a few inches collect, stop flow and allow the settling to complete then siphon out the main body of water. This would further reduce the amount of water needed to replace between changes and give a thicker mass for the compost at a time.
Are you raising fish? Meat? Or a goldfish pond?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraryCacher View Post

REM,

About your fire ant problem. What about building raised worm/compost beds? I mean if you start thinking in TEOTWAWKI terms then eventually no commercial fish food.
They are persistent little critters. I can do that with applications of bait, spot treatments and friggin' sticky fly strips wound around all of the posts maybe. Then the airborne tree droppers would be all that I'd have to deal with. Once in the soil it is theirs. I could make tight fitting screened covers I guess.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:42 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post

I cannot raise worms due to fire ants. Commercial fish food works quite well in nutrition and fast growth. If SHTF I'd have to come up with something else to feed, or just clean and freeze what I have on hand.Thoughts?

No plan to obtain fish food = no fish after TSHTF.

If you want to do this as a fun backyard experiment have at it. But, don't kid yourself into thinking this is a good investment of survival dollars. Buy canned tuna or a fishing rod.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:53 PM
Fishing on a river

Thanked 3,624 Times in 1,440 Posts

Raising fish, aka fish farming, is called Aquaculture. Growing plants in a water medium is called Hydroponics. Combining the two is called Aquaponics. All are a very common thing to do. Google it.

This past summer we had all kinds of hydroponics going. We also bought the stock tanks ect for the fish. As soon as harvest season is over we're going to build a greenhouse on the back porch and go for the winter Aquaponics.

What we are eventually striving for is a worm farm under the rabbit's, worms feed the fish, fish fertilize the plants. Both produce food and the food scraps feed back into the worms.

So now we get rabbit meat, fish and fresh produce for almost nothing.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bullets~n~Beans For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2011, 05:54 PM
Getting There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by axelrod View Post

No plan to obtain fish food = no fish after TSHTF.

If you want to do this as a fun backyard experiment have at it. But, don't kid yourself into thinking this is a good investment of survival dollars. Buy canned tuna or a fishing rod.
I dunno. I think that I can make it work with minimal investment.

My pond is dry for the first time since 1975, but that does leave a lot of years with a very healthy pond. I think that with a few tanks and the restocked pond and a seine net it will work. Only labor required.

The key to a healthy pond is maintaining a healthy stock of bait fish. Minnows and goldfish can be raised in other tanks, or in the pond when it does refill and seined to harvest them out of the pond.

Like other fish they (bait fish) really grow fast in warm aerated water.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
The type of fish determins the depth need. Besides that is just a calculation based on 1 sheet of plywood at a time with some quick rips.
Start out with 3 sheets of plywood and you can make a 2'd x 4'w x 8'l tank with cross members. I helped a Kohaku Koi breeder build one in his basement, we also built a 10x10 using just plastic sheeting and cinder blocks, mortar free.
His fish grew very nicely any one would have made a meal if ya know how to prepare carp.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LibraryCacher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2011, 06:44 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
I dunno. I think that I can make it work with minimal investment.

My pond is dry for the first time since 1975, but that does leave a lot of years with a very healthy pond. I think that with a few tanks and the restocked pond and a seine net it will work. Only labor required.

The key to a healthy pond is maintaining a healthy stock of bait fish. Minnows and goldfish can be raised in other tanks, or in the pond when it does refill and seined to harvest them out of the pond.

Like other fish they (bait fish) really grow fast in warm aerated water.
A pond, sure, if it's large enough. I thought we were talking about catfish in a barrel.

Let me be clear: There is no small system for the intensive production of fish that does not require an enormous amount of external energy inputs in the form of electricity and feed, neither of which are likely to be available post-SHTF. The larger the system and the warmer the climate, the less energy you will need to artificially input into the system. But, the system has to be large and the solar contribution significant. Think a minimum three-acre pond in a Southern state in order to produce a regular supply of fish for a small family. It's big enough to establish a self-sustaining food chain, but just barely.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:10 PM
Fishing on a river

Thanked 3,624 Times in 1,440 Posts

Quote:
A pond, sure, if it's large enough. I thought we were talking about catfish in a barrel.

Let me be clear: There is no small system for the intensive production of fish that does not require an enormous amount of external energy inputs in the form of electricity and feed, neither of which are likely to be available post-SHTF. The larger the system and the warmer the climate, the less energy you will need to artificially input into the system. But, the system has to be large and the solar contribution significant. Think a minimum three-acre pond in a Southern state in order to produce a regular supply of fish for a small family. It's big enough to establish a self-sustaining food chain, but just barely.
Ok, you sound like an expert on the matter. Care to share your credentials on that?
Old 09-21-2011, 08:13 PM
Recent Blog:
Hunter

You can raise earthworms in a 5 gal. bucket. Feed them dog food. If I remember when I had tropicals, the size of the fish growth will be determined by the size of the tank. A 50 gal. barrell will probably not raise two many BIG catfish. Good luck.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:50 PM

A barrel is not ideal for raising healthy fish. It's better to have a setup that has more surface area. Also I believe the formula for fish to water ratio is 1 fish per gallon of water.

Here are a couple links on aquaponics:
http://farmingwithaquaponics.com/
Www.fish2food.com
http://www.aquaponics.net.au/
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wadoman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2011, 09:02 AM
Getting There!

Quote:

My pond is small, but it had lots of fish, from bait fish to large catfish, in it before the drought got to it.

What I'm thinking about is stocking the pond (when rains do fill it back up) with bait fish and raising catfish or tilapia in large stock tanks. The bait fish from the pond would be seined and used to feed the tank fish in the place of worms that the author utilized. Or, perhaps bait fish and worms if I can grow worms and keep them safe from fire ants.

I'm not expecting to feed a whole bunch of people solely on fish. Rather, if successful in removing and protecting hatchlings I think that I can make a self sustaining operation that will provide additional food. The inputs will be solar power for aeration and bait fish to feed the larger fish. I do have lots of reading to do regarding solar to see how I can utilize it. I do think that it's a viable plan.
The Following User Says Thank You to REM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2011, 09:04 AM
Getting There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadoman View Post

A barrel is not ideal for raising healthy fish. It's better to have a setup that has more surface area. Also I believe the formula for fish to water ratio is 1 fish per gallon of water.

Here are a couple links on aquaponics:
http://farmingwithaquaponics.com/
Www.fish2food.com
http://www.aquaponics.net.au/
That's very useful. Thanks!
Old 09-22-2011, 09:30 AM

I so have to agree with REM, as long as the effort can be held down than as a easily harvest-able dietary supplement it is a good idea.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
20' x 100' 10mil Plastic Sheeting for $200.00
Add a shovel and a method to keep a current going and the question is, "Can you say trout?"
OK so for most of us that would be a pipe dream, but post The Fall I cant see a reason not to have a trench 2' deep 15' wide and 95' long. OK so I can see one, you want different dimensions.
The Following User Says Thank You to LibraryCacher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2011, 09:35 AM
Firefighter 129

Quote:

They are persistent little critters. I can do that with applications of bait, spot treatments and friggin' sticky fly strips wound around all of the posts maybe. Then the airborne tree droppers would be all that I'd have to deal with. Once in the soil it is theirs. I could make tight fitting screened covers I guess.
I cut a 55 gallon barrel in half long ways. I raise my worms in them. I just put something ants don't like under my bins. I pour grits into mounds as well. I get great compost with my worm casting.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulapForbes For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2011, 09:40 AM
Firefighter 129

Quote:

That's one of the survival files that I found quite interesting.

What about doing this is a large stock water tank? Or better, several tanks for keeping different aged batches going?

My head is already churning with plans to build a screened in shed to protect the fish from predators. My dogs would allow anything noisy to venture out there. Screen would stop mosquitoes and hold up a raccoon so that he may be dinner for the pups.

I cannot raise worms due to fire ants. Commercial fish food works quite well in nutrition and fast growth. If SHTF I'd have to come up with something else to feed, or just clean and freeze what I have on hand.

The aerators can probably be run with a timer and solar charged heavy truck batteries.

When and if my pond ever fills back up I can stock that, too.

The potential is there for a lot of meat with a fairly small investment. i HAVE 33 acres to play with.

Thoughts?
I am looking at using the family pool. Rather large above ground that no one uses anymore. On the surface of the water I am going to use Styrofoam with holes cut out for my plants. Plants grow fast with fish under them supplying nutrients. There is a video on YouTube about doing it this way. Good luck. I wanted to do Tilpia but you can't raise them here it is against the law for some darn reason. So I am going with Bass. Buying me some minnows and go from there.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaulapForbes For This Useful Post: