Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival gear buy, sell, trade and reviews section > For Sale
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

For Sale
Everything you need for Disaster Preparedness. Only merchants are able to start threads in this section. Follow this link to sign up for your merchants account.

Advertise Here

Old 09-20-2011, 02:12 PM
Prepared

Default Well Buckets

Advertise Here

Hello. I have designed a survival well bucket that may benefit many of you here. Creating the bucket came about by chance through a water well crisis.

For years, I have been interested in alternative energy and equipped my house with wind and solar systems. I built my metal frame house myself, with 12-inch thick exterior walls, and felt secure against most any catastrophe.

Then, in the summer of 2009, something happened that I hadn't planned on. I discovered I had only 5 feet of water in my well. Sometime before I bought my property the well was reworked to filter sand. A common technique used is pea- gravel. However, instead of pea-gravel, large course rock was dumped down the well, and bridged itself about 200 feet from the surface, reducing my 320-foot well to the depth of the rocks. I faced two options -- drill another well or have this one bored out. Either way, I faced a $4,000 to $7,000 cost.

We opted instead to find a way to get the rocks out of the well ourselves. After building several prototypes, we came up with a well rock extractor that was triggered at the surface and worked like a syringe to suck gravel into the pipe cylinder. Relying on the generosity of a neighbor with a long garden hose for our household water as we worked, we successfully increased our well depth by 100 feet and saved thousands of dollars.
The inconvenience during our month without our own fresh drinking water forced us to plan ahead for any sort of emergency that could disable our electric well pump. We realized how unprepared we really were.

We began looking for ways to get water from our well the old-fashioned way -- a torpedo style well bucket to draw up water. We learned that metal cylinder buckets work fine, but are not made for longterm use and bend easily. Then, we began looking at PVC pipe buckets, which were made with different types of foot valves. With many, you must use your fingers to release the water from the bottom (contaminating the water) or pour the water out from the top, which is not easy because of the water’s weight. Another poor design is the type that requires pressing on the bucket bottom to release the water -- another opportunity to get dirt in the water.

Often, these buckets, including the metal ones, are not ready available, either back-ordered or not now being produced.

So, we created the WaterBoy well bucket to draw water from a drilled well. The WaterBoy is designed like old-fashioned metal cylinder buckets, but made of sturdy PVC pipe to last for years of use. It also has a unique thumb-lever release at the bucket top to prevent water contamination and simplify use.

During a long-term emergency, we want a dependable way to get fresh water from our well. We know there are others who would want the same. For more information please visit http://www.wellwaterboy.com/
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WaterBoy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2011, 02:57 PM

How much does it weigh full of water? Just wondering if I could pull this out of our well by myself.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:10 PM
Prepared

Hi,

The 4in full of water weighs about 24 pounds and the 3in weighs about 16 pounds.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:31 PM
Prepared

I have been reading about these bailer buckets and making one out of PVC. What do you recommend that people use for a pulley or windlass and how high off the well do you need to have the pulley or windlass for this to work? Without a significant mechanic advantage I would have trouble lifting 24 lbs. I am interested in this type of setup just as a backup water supply - we have other water sources buy also have a well and after checking into the cost of a deep well pump I found out about bailer buckets. Thanks
Old 09-20-2011, 04:03 PM
Prepared

I bought an old style (but new) eight inch well bucket pulley from Race Brothers in Springfield MO for about 45$. These type pulleys were used by the old timers for drawing water from wells!

For these type of well buckets the well pulley should be set at least 7 feet above the well head.

Thanks,
Old 09-20-2011, 05:51 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,232 Times in 660 Posts

I'm impressed. This looks like a great product for emergency situations. Do you make these yourself?
The Following User Says Thank You to Highwater Filters For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2011, 05:51 PM
Prepared

Thanks Waterboy, I have looked everywhere and everybody is sold out.
I will place an order very soon with you.
The Following User Says Thank You to magking1971 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2011, 06:57 PM

You can make a good pvc well bucket for about +-$15
The Following User Says Thank You to Twofinger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2011, 07:45 PM
Proverbs 22:3

Thanked 1,141 Times in 344 Posts

Check the DIY section.
http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=164548
Old 09-21-2011, 12:34 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwater Filters View Post
I'm impressed. This looks like a great product for emergency situations. Do you make these yourself?
Thank you!

Yes, my wife and I make them.

A sure way to have good clean water when all else fails.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:40 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by magking1971 View Post
Thanks Waterboy, I have looked everywhere and everybody is sold out.
I will place an order very soon with you.
Thank you!
Old 12-13-2011, 02:55 PM
Prepared

Our WaterBoy well buckets come in two sizes. The 4-inch well bucket is for a standard 6-inch well casing and sells for $75.

The 3-inch bucket is used when a 4-inch liner has been installed inside the well casing. It sells for $70.

Hand pumps and solar pumps are good to have, but if something breaks down and parts are not readily available, how are you going to continue to get fresh water from your well? The WaterBoy is the perfect backup.

We are also working to develop a windlass for the WaterBoy and a windlass to remove pumps from well casings. We hope to have these available by early 2012.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:17 PM
Prepared

Update and correction: We offer three different sizes of well buckets.

Professional quality, 2-way water flow control for dependability.

Works like the old-time cylinder tin buckets, but made to last.

Empties from bottom by simply pulling lever at the top with one finger.

Solid core (not foam core) 3-inch or 4-inch Schedule-40 PVC pipe with galvanized and zinc-coated hardware.

Capacity of about 1.25 gallons (3-inch) or 2.3 gallons (4-inch)

For off-grid everyday use or emergencies.

Can be disassembled to replace rubber seal at bottom.

Valve opens when bucket is lowered, then automatically closes when bucket is drawn up.

Use at any depth.

Overall 46 1/2-inch length; weight of 6 1/2 pounds (3-inch bucket) and 8 pounds (4-inch bucket)

Fills and empties in seconds.

Reinforced to minimize damage to internal parts from accidental free-fall

3-inch slim-line bucket is for a 4-inch casing/liner and has an OD of 3 9/16 inches $69

3-inch heavy duty bucket is for a 5-inch casing/liner and has an OD of 4 inches $74

4-inch heavy duty bucket is for a standard 6-inch well casing or larger and has an OD of 5 inches $79

Unlike easily bendable galvanized steel well buckets intended only for temporary use, this solid-core, reliable bucket is for everyday use and easy to operate. Simply attach a rope to the bucket, lower it into a well, draw it up and empty into a container by pulling a thumb-lever at the bucket top. Your hands do not come in contact the water. The bucket empties all the way and you do not have to pour it out from the top.
The Following User Says Thank You to WaterBoy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2012, 05:49 PM
Prepared

Coming soon!

We are going to offer a economical windlass for well buckets. It can be used along with a tripod. Hopefully, we will have prices in a couple weeks.