Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 09-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,491 Times in 557 Posts
Default Meal Replacement ?

Advertise Here

Are there any recommendations for a meal replacement ? Something that can be mixed with water for a quick meal on the run ? I know that there are weight loss powder mixes, but I am looking for something else.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:03 PM
Prepared

Default what about...

MRE's???

This line is added because the forum says that messages must be 10 characters or more?!?!?
Old 09-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 25,937 Times in 7,817 Posts

Does it have to be something that is mixed with water? There are tons of energy bars, etc. out there that you might choose from, and none require the mixing with water which, it seems to me, needlessly complicates the process.

Here's a list of such things at Emergency Essentials:

http://beprepared.com/category.asp_Q_c_E_96
The Following User Says Thank You to goose3 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2011, 01:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,585 Times in 4,499 Posts

Lifeboat rations. Datrex. Mainstay, Mayday... They're highly concentrated emergency food cubes or bars, each one containing enough calories and fat to keep you going for a day. You can eat them on the run and they don't require water or induce thirst. They're not a full nutrition supply, but they'll keep you alive and active for quite a while.

Test out the various types before settling on any one. Some people can't stand the taste, or have digestive problems with certain brands.
The Following User Says Thank You to Moccasin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2011, 01:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,725 Times in 5,717 Posts

cereal with some milk powder and protien powder in a ziplock bag.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:55 PM
If you're an author PM me

Go old school with some new school.
Hardtack and instant coffee.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:07 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 102,139 Times in 32,982 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

There are different forms of "instant breakfast" type powders, and of course protein powders and high calorie body builder type products.

I have to second the suggestion of the lifeboat rations though. I've found Datrex to be perfect as a relatively compact source of calories for short term emergencies.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:33 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,491 Times in 557 Posts

Thanks everyone.

Yea, it looks as though the bars would be better than some kind of powder.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:36 PM
Gunner

I think the E-rations are good especially for a bag you keep in your car. I would go with the Mainstay bars over the Datrex, as they are very crumbly. But they both do the same thing though.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:28 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 32,873 Times in 6,833 Posts

If you want something that is lightweight and stores well, life boat rations (mainstay rations) might be your best bet.

MREs are affected by heat, and in a bad way. 1 day over 100 degrees takes something like a month off the lifespan.

Protein bars melt in heat.

There is always tailmix

If you have a question about the forum, please post it in this section.
General questions sent through private messages will be ignored.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:40 PM

Any more info on the lifeboat rations? Ive been looking for a meal replacement for my BO.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:42 PM
Trapper

Mountain House freeze dried. These are very good.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 32,873 Times in 6,833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderhawk View Post
Mountain House freeze dried. These are very good.
Mountain house makes some single serving pro-paks with a 7 year shelf life. The packs are freeze dried, light weight, and have a long shelf life.

The drawback, you have to add boiling water and wait about 10 minutes. For a hiker, backpacker, or someone at the deer camp waiting may not be a big issue.

But for someone on the move, the pro-paks may not be a food choice.

If you have a question about the forum, please post it in this section.
General questions sent through private messages will be ignored.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:09 PM
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc281 View Post
Any more info on the lifeboat rations? Ive been looking for a meal replacement for my BO.
I ordered some a while back (Mainstay and Datrex), I like the Mainstay over the Datrex. The Mainstay comes in a single package with nine cubes (3600) at 400 cal apiece. It tastes faintly of lemons and doesn't make me thirsty. Also some people mentioned that it can cause digestive problems, but never experienced such a problem.
The Datrex bars came in little plastic packages of 200 cal a piece. The tasted faintly of coconuts and made me thirsty. It was also very crumbly and that made it a pain to eat (made a mess). As with the Mainstay there were no "digestive" problems.
On a side note: I think the digestive problems arise from certain meal replacement bars because of the types of sugars they use. Look at the ingredients, and if you see alcohol sugars they can cause diarrhea if eaten a lot. I tend to stay away from those. I only mention this because when I was in Afghanistan some guys have protein bars of which I ate as well. In the ingredients there was a warning for the alcohol sugars.
The Following User Says Thank You to kain9662002 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2011, 09:13 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,386 Times in 412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskrima View Post
Thanks everyone.

Yea, it looks as though the bars would be better than some kind of powder.
The bars are easy to carry and store, and don't need to be prepared, but the quality is generally not near that of true meal replacement powders (MRP's).

A good quality MRP is called "Lean Body" by Labrada. It comes in 20 or 42 packs per box and is available in chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry. It can be found in Vitamin Shoppe, GNC, or online in several different .coms.
The Following User Says Thank You to squirrel870 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2011, 11:28 PM
To the surface!

Thanked 7,136 Times in 2,983 Posts

Wasn't there a form of corn meal that Native Americans ate while on the go??

I like granola mix with nuts and dried fruit. That and dried meat and water can be eaten on the go. Carry other dried foods that can either be eaten dry or used as part of a hot meal when you stop. The granola could make a cereal with milk if you carry dried milk, mix the milk with water while on the go in preparation for use with the cereal when you can stop.

The dried meat can be used as is or in a stew/soup.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:11 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,031 Times in 495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heretic View Post
Wasn't there a form of corn meal that Native Americans ate while on the go??.
Yeah it was called Pinole, and basically it was pounded up toasted corn, either regular corn or hominy...the consistency of grits...so not ground as fine as corn meal. So yeah if they used hominy it basically was toasted grits.
I have made some and eaten it regularly, used to use it a lot in the woods when I was younger, and it is pretty good, keeps you full, easy to eat on the go, tastes good, and dirt cheap and easy to make.

As far as meal replacement powders...the ones like Slim Fast are basically Ensure...complete nutrition. I even lived on Ensure for about 4 months once due to a pain killer I was on while in hospital totally removing any apetite. I couldn't even stand to try to eat solid food. Meal replacements work good...but milk is a huge part of it, so you need milk or milk powder to mix it with.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Prepared

Use to use Met-rx.

Mixed very well in a shaker cup.

Packets were not cheap but for a quick meal at the office it was awesome.

Plus tasted good with water or add in some milk powder if you like the milk taste.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:27 PM
On Twitter @liamkfisher

I make homemade protein bars for my low-carb diet.

Mix 1.5 cups peanut butter, 1 cup oatmeal, 2 servings protein shake powder. Add a bit of splenda or sugar or honey. This should be kneaded into a thick goo. If I have it, I add coconut and cocoa powder (dark chocolate is great).

Spread this on a greased cookie sheet and pop in the frig. After a half hour or so, cut into bars and wrap them individually in plastic wrap.

I keep them in the frig for snacks; they last very well and don't need refrigeration. This this is not a long-term survival food, of course, but it is a good meal for on the go. Also they are very cheap (compared to commercial bars), very filling, and tasty!
Old 09-21-2011, 12:40 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 102,139 Times in 32,982 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kain9662002 View Post
I ordered some a while back (Mainstay and Datrex), I like the Mainstay over the Datrex. The Mainstay comes in a single package with nine cubes (3600) at 400 cal apiece. It tastes faintly of lemons and doesn't make me thirsty. Also some people mentioned that it can cause digestive problems, but never experienced such a problem.
The various digestive issues I've seen reported seem to be an individual thing. Some reported one type caused it and another didn't. I can't handle Mainstay, but I do fine on Datrex. For others, it's the other way around.

Also, some of the issues didn't occur from just eating a bar to test it. But occurred when actually putting the bars to a three day test and eating nothing but. It's always wise to thoroughly test anything we may have to depend on for survival, from the foods, to our BOBs to you name it.

There are also Mayday rations and Millenium bars. I haven't tried either of these yet. The Millenium bars look promising. They come in individually wrapped bars of 400 calories each if I remember right. They also come in a variety of tasty sounding flavors and their price is right.

All of these rations tend to be high on carbs and fats for energy, while being a bit low on protein. It takes extra water to digest protein, so it only makes sense. These are for short term emergencies where the calories are more important than a balanced diet.