Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Rifle Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 09-20-2011, 09:26 AM
Getting There!

Thanked 8,030 Times in 3,786 Posts
Default 10 shot magazine for Rem 742 Woodsmaster?

Advertise Here

Have any of you tried this 10 shot magazine for a Remington 742 30-06?

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/search...=18397&tabid=0

I'm looking for 2-3 extra magazines and any advice that anyone cares to provide.

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2011, 01:24 PM

Thing about the 742, the old Winchester 100, the "BAR" is they had to make so many design compromises to fit it into a tidy light weight package that they just are not strong and durable.

Joe-6 hunting deer wont go thru 500 rounds in a lfietime probably.

A person who wants a sturdy gun that will last needs a military type.
The Following User Says Thank You to Childofthecorn For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2011, 01:53 PM
Getting There!

Well, I might like to use some of the 500 rounds quickly!
Old 09-20-2011, 02:28 PM
Remember The Alamo

Thanked 5,200 Times in 1,959 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post

I'm looking for 2-3 extra magazines and any advice that anyone cares to provide.

Thanks!
I sure would be very lerry of shooting 10 rnds very fast the barrle will melt.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:07 PM
Boolit Master

[QUOTE=Tenfeathers;3254502]I sure would be very lerry of shooting 10 rnds very fast the barrel will melt.[/QUOTE

The enemy of any rifle be it your run of the mill hunting rifle,varmint or surplus military rifle is throat erosion. A barrel is only going to last having X amount of powder shot through it before accuracy goes out the window. It's just a matter of how long it takes you and in what quantities you put that X amount of powder down the bore.

If you fire enough rds. in succession without allowing the barrel to cool down throat erosion can start to take place and accuracy will degrade. High velocity small caliber varmint cartridges are more substitutable increasing the bullet dia. as well as decreasing the powder charger will make the barrel last longer.

As has been mentioned the 742 wasn't designed to have a large quantity of ammo fired through it or rapidly over a short period of time and still function reliably. There good rifles but not meant to be a MBR for that get yourself an AK,SKS,FAL,M14 or a Garand.

On a side note Remington doesn't do any repair work on the 742 anymore and parts are hard to find for that model.
The Following User Says Thank You to res45 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2011, 08:48 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childofthecorn View Post
Thing about the 742, the old Winchester 100, the "BAR" is they had to make so many design compromises to fit it into a tidy light weight package that they just are not strong and durable.

Joe-6 hunting deer wont go thru 500 rounds in a lfietime probably.

A person who wants a sturdy gun that will last needs a military type.

My BAR weighs in at 9 pounds (with scope) it's not tidy or compact unless you're comparing it to a SAW. The 742's I've owned aren't that light either, my fathers Model 100 feels a good half pound lighter than my BAR. None of the three are lighter or smaller than a AK or AR, however.com you are right 1000 rounds in a lifetime would be a lot. I've had my BAR 20 years and most years are like this year I shot it 5 times so far, If I shoot it 3 more times that's a lot of meat on the ground.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ritepath For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2011, 10:59 PM
Hiker

Location: On a clear day, you can almost see Colorado to the west..

Triple K magazines do not have a great rep.
I dont know of any of the after market 10 round mags that are that great.
I will send you a PM about them.

Quote:

Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to passin thru For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2011, 05:35 PM
Recent Blog:
I FEAR COWARDS MOST

Thanked 10,293 Times in 4,364 Posts

With slight mods the Triple K mags work reliably.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2rugers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2011, 05:38 PM
Getting There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenfeathers View Post

I sure would be very leery of shooting 10 rnds very fast the barrel will melt.
If it gets me safe I can live with that. <makes plans to buy a backup rifle>

Otherwise I'll take careful aim and pace myself. I won't be fumbling with reloading and there's something to be said about that.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:42 PM
Getting There!

[quote=res45;3255230]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenfeathers View Post

The enemy of any rifle be it your run of the mill hunting rifle,varmint or surplus military rifle is throat erosion. A barrel is only going to last having X amount of powder shot through it before accuracy goes out the window. It's just a matter of how long it takes you and in what quantities you put that X amount of powder down the bore.

If you fire enough rds. in succession without allowing the barrel to cool down throat erosion can start to take place and accuracy will degrade. High velocity small caliber varmint cartridges are more substitutable increasing the bullet dia. as well as decreasing the powder charger will make the barrel last longer.

As has been mentioned the 742 wasn't designed to have a large quantity of ammo fired through it or rapidly over a short period of time and still function reliably. There good rifles but not meant to be a MBR for that get yourself an AK,SKS,FAL,M14 or a Garand.

On a side note Remington doesn't do any repair work on the 742 anymore and parts are hard to find for that model.
I might be looking to invest in a rifle. Garand? Does anyone know where I can order one?
Old 09-21-2011, 09:56 PM
styer sniper

I have that gun in that caliber with that clip. The 10rd clip is stiff to insert, but it is new and should loosen up a little bit. It shoots fine with the 10rder though. I got the mag because the gun is my truck gun and part of my GHB equipment. I don't plan on dumping the mag at anything but want the capacity in case I do need it. It is good enough that I am thinking about getting a second one.
The Following User Says Thank You to tomclay98 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2011, 10:17 PM
Old Soldier

Thanked 9,464 Times in 3,198 Posts

The Remington autos, 740, 742, 7400, and now 750 are hunting rifles. They are not designed to be, and never will be, a battle rifle.
A few rounds to check zero prior to opening day, a few rounds to tag a deer, put it away till next year, and that's what they are designed for. Their tolerances are tight to help accuracy and must be kept clean, especially the chamber. Those who don't do so complain of jams. The bolt rails in the receiver are prone to wear with heavy use.
I have a 7400 and like it. For serious social work I have better options, though.
The Following User Says Thank You to rice paddy daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritepath View Post
My BAR weighs in at 9 pounds (with scope) it's not tidy or compact unless you're comparing it to a SAW. The 742's I've owned aren't that light either, my fathers Model 100 feels a good half pound lighter than my BAR. None of the three are lighter or smaller than a AK or AR, however.com you are right 1000 rounds in a lifetime would be a lot. I've had my BAR 20 years and most years are like this year I shot it 5 times so far, If I shoot it 3 more times that's a lot of meat on the ground.
The weight part, as the AR and AK dont use full length full power WWI type ctg, the comparison would be to a M14, FN FAL, FN49, Garand,
one of those dont you think?

Also, when I said "tidy" i was thinking of fitting it all into an artistic looking streamlined package, which the military doesnt care about.

My # 1 rifle is an old M70 Winchester I've used since the 60's and id be surprised if I have put a thousand rounds thru it. Im on the same box of shells i got 8 years ago. That is five deer, and a a couple of shots to make sure the scope is on, as it always is. (love those Leupolds!)

i still think the sporter type full power semi autos would be worn out and ruined long before a military one would be.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:45 AM
Getting There!

Quote:

i still think the sporter type full power semi autos would be worn out and ruined long before a military one would be.
I might be able to swing another rifle. What would you suggest? AR-15?
Old 09-23-2011, 10:08 AM
Old Soldier

Thanked 9,464 Times in 3,198 Posts

Quote:
If you are a fan of the 30-06 round, as I am, you can not go wrong with an M1 Garand. Or, if semi-auto rifles are not necessary, a Savage bolt action can not be beat.
I'm not a member of CMP, and still was able to find a serviceable Garand for $600 + tax.
The Following User Says Thank You to rice paddy daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Depends on what you want it for!

My personal choices for "survival" are a Ruger 10/22 and a CZ 527 bolt action carbine in 7.62x39.

Semi auto, I have a VZ58, which is a lot like an AK but notable smaller and lighter weight.
I guess its just for fun, i dont see heading for the hills and taking on groups of armed opponents!

A fan of the high power rifle ctg who wants a semi auto cant go wrong with a Garand unless maybe by getting one that is worn out.

Or unless he is thinking of carrying it very far. They do say it weighs 9.2 lbs and the decimal drops out after a few miles.

Hence the CZ carbine.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Getting There!

The Garand sounds good. I love the 30-06 cartridge and mixing calibers doesn't sound wise. How would I get one that was not worn out?

The AR-15 has it's appeal as well, even though it splits ammo stocks. From what was said it has a longer lifespan.

I have a .22 rifle and a pistol. I was going to order a tube fed Marlin .22 mag last week, but they have a new model and they are not in stock right now. That's on the waiting list I guess. These are for small game.

I have two 12 gauge shotguns for game and for defense.

And I have the 742 for game and defense. It's from a pawn shop and looks to have lived in a closet most of it's years. I don't shoot it that much.

I suspect that I'm looking for a well made rifle using a common ammo that can be used for game and for defense.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
The Garand sounds good. I love the 30-06 cartridge and mixing calibers doesn't sound wise. How would I get one that was not worn out?

The AR-15 has it's appeal as well, even though it splits ammo stocks. From what was said it has a longer lifespan.

I have a .22 rifle and a pistol. I was going to order a tube fed Marlin .22 mag last week, but they have a new model and they are not in stock right now. That's on the waiting list I guess. These are for small game.

I have two 12 gauge shotguns for game and for defense.

And I have the 742 for game and defense. It's from a pawn shop and looks to have lived in a closet most of it's years. I don't shoot it that much.

I suspect that I'm looking for a well made rifle using a common ammo that can be used for game and for defense.
Getting a good garand is a matter of spending enough money. Or getting lucky.

I cant imagine anyone wearing out an AR if they are on a budget! Should last many many thousands of rounds.

.22 mag is excellent for small game

As for defense, if there was a herd of enemy coming over the hill and you had a fixed position i guess a garand would serve fine. Home defense, it will be slow, awkward and it will shoot thru your house and the neighbors house into the bargain.

i cant much figure a plausible scenario that would call for a garand for defense. Or even a ten round mag. for the 742.

I like my CZ527 as a general purpose weapon. You seem interested in a general purpose gun. A marlin .30-30 is also light handy and quick handling. You can pick up a good used one for 300 bucks.

The essence of any weapon for defense, or hunting really is that you be thoroughly familiar with it, and that it should be quick easy and instinctive to get into use.

And I think that is why the lever .30-30s have been so popular.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 11,945 Times in 4,474 Posts

I owned a Rem 742 for many years. It was very accurate and maintained it's POI from a cold barrel, but tended to shoot higher as the barrel heated up. After 20 rounds it was shooting much larger groups at least 8-10 inches high at 100 yds.

Sold it and bought a bolt gun for hunting and a Ruger mini-30 for defense.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2011, 12:02 PM
Getting There!

Quote:

As for defense, if there was a herd of enemy coming over the hill and you had a fixed position i guess a garand would serve fine. Home defense, it will be slow, awkward and it will shoot thru your house and the neighbors house into the bargain.

i cant much figure a plausible scenario that would call for a garand for defense. Or even a ten round mag. for the 742.

The essence of any weapon for defense, or hunting really is that you be thoroughly familiar with it, and that it should be quick easy and instinctive to get into use.
Well said, but you cannot see a 30-06 for defense?

I live on a state highway outside of a small town, but a couple of hundred yards off of it. I don't have neighbors, so it would just be me and the misses. I'm surrounded by pastures and hills.

This is totally an end of times scenario; the defense. I plan to stay here and to hold this ground, as it is my families farm. I am not leaving it.

In the meantime while times are civil just pleasure shooting and taking game are my only needs.