Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 09-13-2011, 09:36 PM

Default Long term water storage bleach ratio

Advertise Here

I have done so much research I'm more confused than ever. I hope someone can give me an absolute ratio. I have a 275 gallon storage tank and I want to know how much bleach to add and how often it needs to be done. I have read so many answers its ridiculous. Going with the most popular answer, 8 drops per gallon works out to be about 1/2 a cup which to me doesn't seem like enough. I have read someone added as much as 1 cup per 55 gallons. That sounds like too much! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:13 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 102,115 Times in 32,976 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

8 drops per gallon is for clear water with no chlorine in it. 16 drops for cloudy or suspect water. You'll probably need less if you're using chlorinated city water. This ratio is directly from the Clorox corporation.

The best way is just to get a chlorine test kit at a pool supply place. Any of us who will be using chlorine to treat water really should have several of these kits put away. Because ratios are notoriously unreliable. Parts per million is the only reliable way to judge when there is enough chlorine. You're looking to maintain about 3 PPM or so. When it drops to 1 PPM, it's a good time to retreat it. The time it takes to drop will depend on the heat and such. I generally have to treat mine twice in summer and none in the winter.

By the way, bleach has a notoriously short shelf life. Calcium Hypochlorite (pool shock) is a dry form of chlorine that lasts for years. With it you can make bleach for water treatment or household sanitation. There are a bunch of really good threads on it that you can find with the search feature if you want more information.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2011, 12:48 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,945 Times in 1,728 Posts

use a 99% silver coin or wire