Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 09-06-2011, 05:58 PM
My kingdom for a doughnut

Default Generator EMP protection?

Advertise Here

Wondering is you'd have to completely wrap the generator to protect it? Or would the top and sides be enough? (leaving the foil off the underbelly side)
Old 09-07-2011, 12:07 PM

Wow... no one?
Old 09-07-2011, 12:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,572 Times in 4,120 Posts

I think this was discussed not too long ago. Search for Post Titles containing keyword "EMP"

I think many are burned out on all the EMP threads of late

One member had a Generator with a nice digital keypad, these type of electronics are very suseptable, a basic "generator" not so much.

Leaving underside exposed does not create a real "cage", you have a hole for possible resonant frequencies.

I have a basic Coleman 5Kw generator, I dont do anything for it, perhaps I should.........................
Old 09-08-2011, 01:01 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,839 Times in 955 Posts
Default Just Imagine EMP Being Like A Giant Quick Flashbulb

But zillions of times brighter and zillions and zillions (maybe more) quicker. That plus the nagging ability to kinda turn corners several times...plus the ability to track down a very big or tiny electrical conductor. Wow! Just imagine trying to keep that incredibly bright and brief light from getting to the modern chip type electronics of what you want to protect.

We are talking about a very very high frequency. Just a tiny step down from the most energetic photons which are gamma rays. Wrap very tightly in aluminum foil whatever you want to protect from the EMP spike(s). This includes several feet separation (if necessary) from ANY cable or wiring runs down to as short as around 8 inches.

Surplus GI ammo can work well for small stuff...if the cans are stored well away from any potential conduits for electricity which the EMP will also exploit. Remember....lightning arrestors will NOT work with EMP...you will need special EMP nano clamps and surge arrestors. Ham radio antenne must be disconnected with at least a 5 foot separation. Good luck. (HB of CJ) (retarded/er/retired FF, PM, RN...once an NBC teck)
Old 09-08-2011, 05:48 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB of CJ View Post
But zillions of times brighter and zillions and zillions (maybe more) quicker.
What is "quicker" than what
Old 09-08-2011, 08:21 AM
Hunter

The zillions I can handle it the quadzillions that get me!
Old 09-08-2011, 08:25 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,935 Times in 1,539 Posts

The longer the path the worse the pulse. Meaning first line of defense is not have have it hooked up when the pulse hits. Second is to have it totally enclosed in a metal housing with mesh shielding. Third is to ground that housing. If your generator does not have a computer chip dont sweat it.

Here is what mine looks like. It is hardened but I still keep a spare touch pad in my faraday box.
Attached Thumbnails
P1010002.jpg   P1010003.jpg  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kingfish For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2011, 08:29 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
The longer the path the worse the pulse. Meaning first line of defense is not have have it hooked up when the pulse hits. Second is to have it totally enclosed in a metal housing with mesh shielding. Third is to ground that housing. If your generator does not have a computer chip dont sweat it.

Here is what mine looks like. It is hardened but I still keep a spare touch pad in my faraday box.
You are who I was thinking of, Thanks Kingfish
Old 09-08-2011, 08:38 AM

Thanks guys.. the immense search results from using 'EMP' as a term was way too much to dig through.

Maybe I've been thinking about EMP's the wrong way, their always mentioned along with words like 'electronics', 'digital', or sometimes even 'wires'. I realize EMP's damage/destroy IC's but what about your everyday electrical components like caps, resistors, etc?

Would 1950's era radio be as susceptible as a car on the dealer's lot today?
Old 09-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 92,395 Times in 30,802 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeer View Post
It depends on the strength of the EMP and how much wiring there is to collect the charge. Nuclear tests took out electronics in Hawaii back in the '50s when everything ran on tubes, which are pretty robust. A Russian EMP test burned down a power station 150 miles away. But both of these examples also had a lot of powerlines involved that gathered the charge.

The video of the EMP test on the running car showed that it burned out the more delicate electronics like the ignition module. Yet the power windows still worked. So the more rugged electronics such as the battery and motors weren't destroyed. That was a lower power pulse, and of course there was less wiring involved.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,805 Times in 1,695 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeer View Post
Thanks guys.. the immense search results from using 'EMP' as a term was way too much to dig through.

Maybe I've been thinking about EMP's the wrong way, their always mentioned along with words like 'electronics', 'digital', or sometimes even 'wires'. I realize EMP's damage/destroy IC's but what about your everyday electrical components like caps, resistors, etc?

Not all IC's are equal. CMOS chips are susceptible (as are FETs), where as simple IC's (like 555 timers) are not so much. It has to do with whether or not the chip has mutable memory. Those that do will be affected, those that don't would simply need a "reset" in most cases.

Government testing has found that even many cars with computers (built up to 2003 even) only needed turned off and back on again in order to run properly.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:01 PM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 24,189 Times in 7,332 Posts

I'm working on a Faraday cage for my generator. I am considering two methods.

The first is aluminum screen covering a wooden box inside which sits the generator. No gaps, conductivity between all pieces of screen, and so on.

The second is sheet aluminum, same thing, a wooden box inside which sits the generator. Aluminum sheet is more expensive, but I believe it also will be potentially more effective. I've read of using screen for this, but I'm not 100 percent sure it will protect against everything. The aluminum sheets would be attached by aluminum rivets.

This will all rest on an appliance dolly so I can move the generator/box easily in the garage.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:14 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
Not all IC's are equal. CMOS chips are susceptible (as are FETs), where as simple IC's (like 555 timers) are not so much.
There is a CMOS 555 correct? I was under the assumption from working in the semiconductor industry that high voltage, (ESD), or otherwise punches oxidized holes in the metal oxide substrate/pn junction degrading or destroying the semiconductor.

My best "guess" is thousands of volts going into any 555 from any semiconductor family would destroy it.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,805 Times in 1,695 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot View Post
There is a CMOS 555 correct? I was under the assumption from working in the semiconductor industry that high voltage, (ESD), or otherwise punches oxidized holes in the metal oxide substrate/pn junction degrading or destroying the semiconductor.

My best "guess" is thousands of volts going into any 555 from any semiconductor family would destroy it.
There are spin-offs of the 555 which have been downsized (for surface mounts) but have the same functionality, yes. The old full size classic has proven to be fairly resistant in US EMP tests as little as a decade ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pragmatist For This Useful Post: