Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 09-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Outdoorsman and Hunter

Thanked 1,491 Times in 601 Posts
Default Little Mylar Bags & Kraft Mac & Cheese

Advertise Here

Does anyone know if they make really small Mylar bags that would hold say one Kraft Mac and Cheese meal if you removed it from the box? I was thinking about sealing up a bunch of this type of stuff, i.e. mac and cheese, Lipton rice, etc in tiny little Mylar bags and then dropping them into a bucket for storage of a bunch of preserved "mini-meals" that can be removed and prepared.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:31 PM
Maximus

Thanked 13,601 Times in 6,086 Posts

Don't know if these are too small. But I use these Capri-Sun pouches and just wash and reseal them. If too small you can always get quart size mylar bags.

Here is how:
http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=111956
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 91,364 Times in 30,548 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

You can make larger mylar bags into smaller ones easily enough. That way you can make them in just the right size. The Capri Sun pouch idea is great! I wish I had a source for them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Prepared

Most of that stuff is going to last a long time because it is powder and already sealed. How long you looking at keeping them because it seems like a lot of work to get a couple more years out of them.

Just stock up and rotate them in.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

You can also buy macaroni seperate and cheese powder. The cheese powder is the same stuff that Kraft uses anyway, and store bought macaroni will be higher quality. You can pack this in whatever sized bags you want.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2011, 03:21 PM

great idea.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Outdoorsman and Hunter

Quote:
You can make larger mylar bags into smaller ones easily enough. That way you can make them in just the right size. The Capri Sun pouch idea is great! I wish I had a source for them.
Do you mean cutting the bag down to the size you want and sealing all 4 sides when it is full? I am guessing this was what you were referring to. Are the seals as strong if you do that as if the bag was sealed on 3 of the sides by manufacturing?
Old 09-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,978 Times in 2,813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
You can also buy macaroni seperate and cheese powder. The cheese powder is the same stuff that Kraft uses anyway, and store bought macaroni will be higher quality. You can pack this in whatever sized bags you want.
We did this because I was tired of dealing with leftovers. Damned husband would rather STARVE than eat leftovers ... go figure ...

Anyway ... that 10# can of cheese powder will last a long time ... and I can grab elbow macaroni in bulk when it is on sale ... I figure it it costs us about 1/10th the price of Kraft's packaging for the same amount of food.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2011, 11:18 AM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic View Post
Do you mean cutting the bag down to the size you want and sealing all 4 sides when it is full? I am guessing this was what you were referring to. Are the seals as strong if you do that as if the bag was sealed on 3 of the sides by manufacturing?
You can cut them down and seal them yourself. If you're careful, you can seal the sides just as effectively as the factory can. I've made custom sizes that way and they worked fine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgeBunny View Post
We did this because I was tired of dealing with leftovers. Damned husband would rather STARVE than eat leftovers ... go figure ...
Haha. I'm not keen on leftovers either. I tend to cook in larger batches, take a serving out and freeze the rest in individual servings. Or I'll repurpose leftovers. Like turning leftover meat into burrito or taco filling, hash, or make a soup with it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,174 Times in 463 Posts

Quote:
And that cheese powder is wonderful on buttered popcorn as well. You can also add it to make a cheese sauce or add to something like a chili mac recipe. ( Somewhere out there on the web there is also a recipe for hamburger helper type meals that could be packaged up as well)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CBP For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Outdoorsman and Hunter

Quote:
Haha. I'm not keen on leftovers either. I tend to cook in larger batches, take a serving out and freeze the rest in individual servings. Or I'll re purpose leftovers. Like turning leftover meat into burrito or taco filling, hash, or make a soup with it.
I am with you brother! I just don't seem to care for left overs, anything I grill never seems to taste right the next day and some of the crazy concoctions my wife comes up with didn't taste right on the first day, much less the second
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,978 Times in 2,813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic View Post
I am with you brother! I just don't seem to care for left overs, anything I grill never seems to taste right the next day and some of the crazy concoctions my wife comes up with didn't taste right on the first day, much less the second
You guys are sooo spoilt ...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
You guys are sooo spoilt ...
Yes, I am! It's my reward for becoming a good cook.

I figure that after the SHTF, I'll be eating plenty of leftovers since I won't have a way of refrigerating them. I'll face that gruesome task when I have to. Until then, I'm going to revel in my spoiltness.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Left the building

Thanked 25,198 Times in 8,253 Posts

Now come on ya'll. I don't like left overs either. BUT! There are some exceptions....A big pot of left over pinto beans gets better with a day or so aging in the fridge and heat them up. Don't forget the cornbread, tortillas and hot sauce! Same with homemade chilis and soups.

You guys aren't thinking straight!

I got a bunch of store brand maco and cheese on sale and bought a bunch. I mylared the mac, and put up the cheese powder in Capri Sun...and some in smaler bags I cut up to size.

If you cut large bags up to make small ones, like Mike said...they''ll be fine. The bags I've made are holding fine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TxHills For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2011, 03:25 PM
Outdoorsman and Hunter

Quote:
I figure that after the SHTF, I'll be eating plenty of leftovers since I won't have a way of refrigerating them. I'll face that gruesome task when I have to. Until then, I'm going to revel in my spoiltness.
Ha! That is great!

Quote:
Now come on ya'll. I don't like left overs either. BUT! There are some exceptions....A big pot of left over pinto beans gets better with a day or so aging in the fridge and heat them up.
OK, I will give you THAT probably ONE and ONLY exception to the left over rule
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2013, 04:43 PM

Ok Let Me Ask Yall This.. what about the cheese cause packet that comes with Kraft Mac and Cheese ? Do U ditch that? or will it be just fine long term too ? Cause I know noodles will be good till day u die LOL but will the sauce tooo...
Old 02-13-2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjon2929 View Post
Ok Let Me Ask Yall This.. what about the cheese cause packet that comes with Kraft Mac and Cheese ? Do U ditch that? or will it be just fine long term too ? Cause I know noodles will be good till day u die LOL but will the sauce tooo...
I know this is an old thread, but was just browsing. The cheese in mac 'n' cheese, if left in the original packaging will go stale/rancid. My experience is with Kraft brand (really, is there any other??), which uses a paper envelope lined with mylar, it looks like. The cheese went to more of a darker red-orange colour, and taste had noticeably deteriorated. Definitely still edible though, even before a SHTF situation. Your taste/opinion may differ, of course. I almost always add something to my KD to make it a more complete meal like ground beef or canned chicken breast, so that also helps mask the changed flavour. This was on KD that was almost seven years past the "best before" date, packed only in original packaging.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:21 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,224 Times in 756 Posts

Quote:

Anyway ... that 10# can of cheese powder will last a long time ... and I can grab elbow macaroni in bulk when it is on sale ... I figure it it costs us about 1/10th the price of Kraft's packaging for the same amount of food.
Get a dog. They love leftovers. Heck, a dog will even clean the dishes for you.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:29 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,130 Times in 623 Posts

Quote:
This, and additionally you can also get whole grain macaroni which is MUCH better nutritionally (you get 3 parts of the grain, the bran, the germ and the endosperm) as opposed to just the endosperm of "regular" macaroni. The down side is slightly less shelf life, but again, this should not be an issue if you rotate..