Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 08-28-2011, 05:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,348 Times in 1,976 Posts
Default Squirrels in soffit/attic

Advertise Here

So, I've got some bushy tailed tree rats that have made a home in the soffit at the corner of my roof. the soffit of course is open into the attic. I've heard them in the ceiling by that corner, but haven't heard them running around anywhere else in the attic. My house is a split-foyer, so the soffit is about 12 feet off the ground, and the spot where they're at is directly above my electric service mast. (in fact, the incoming wire is how they get to the roof to get in.) Does anyone know how I can go about getting them out of there in order to remove the nest and repair the damaged soffit without risking any damage to the house? I really don't want to climb up there on a ladder and end up with a face full of panicked squirrel.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:44 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,773 Times in 1,011 Posts

You need to trap and remove them, then seal any opening with steel so they can't chew their way back in. Check the hardware store for exclusion devices. These are one way things that go into the last opening and allow them to go out but not back in.
The Following User Says Thank You to MaKettle For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2011, 05:48 PM

what she said! we had them too....get rid of them before they do MAJOR damage (and yes they can!). I know they're cute, but they are just rats with pretty tails!
Old 08-28-2011, 05:53 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,091 Times in 504 Posts

Agreed, trap and remove. The Allstate spoof for Raccoons isn't far off...

Old 08-28-2011, 06:03 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,853 Times in 869 Posts

Not that I'm recommending this but.....
We had rats in our walls in the house I was raised in. Dad's solution? Go up to the attic, walking along the wall, pouring bleach into the gap. RUN the other way pouring windex. Leave house for a few hours. Chlorine in bleach reacts with ammonia in windex, makes a gas that dissolves mucous membranes. Needless to say, trapping is a bit more friendly.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:07 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,773 Times in 1,011 Posts

Old 08-28-2011, 06:35 PM
never quit

'Just One Bite' works for squirrels (roof rats), available in Farm Supply stores.
The problem with other baits is the decaying bodies. Just One Bite is suppose to dehydrate them from the inside out, so no smell.
Also those cans of spray expanding foam work well in hard to reach places that the squirrels have chewed out.
You can use Hav-a-Hart traps, but unless you drown them or relocate them, they'll come right back.
Never used rat traps, but I bet they would work too.
The Following User Says Thank You to miles2go22 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2011, 06:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Darwath View Post
So, I've got some bushy tailed tree rats that have made a home in the soffit at the corner of my roof. the soffit of course is open into the attic. I've heard them in the ceiling by that corner, but haven't heard them running around anywhere else in the attic. My house is a split-foyer, so the soffit is about 12 feet off the ground, and the spot where they're at is directly above my electric service mast. (in fact, the incoming wire is how they get to the roof to get in.) Does anyone know how I can go about getting them out of there in order to remove the nest and repair the damaged soffit without risking any damage to the house? I really don't want to climb up there on a ladder and end up with a face full of panicked squirrel.
fried squirrel with blueberry muffins , yum yum...........
Old 08-28-2011, 07:15 PM
Hiker

Strobe lights, they hate them, then seal the hole.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:57 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,297 Times in 3,898 Posts

bug bomb ....... shut off all the pilot flames on the gas appliances ...... evac to the movies for the afternoon ...... close the entry hole up ...... they won't come back after a gas attack .....
Old 08-29-2011, 08:05 AM

Default In the attic

We had racoons and babies in our attic last year. What a mess! The damn thing ate right through the siding, wallboard and insulation. The folks that repaired everything after we trapped and removed, said they'd never seen anything like it.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:42 AM
Recent Blog: Good Stuff
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw_soldier View Post
Not that I'm recommending this but.....
We had rats in our walls in the house I was raised in. Dad's solution? Go up to the attic, walking along the wall, pouring bleach into the gap. RUN the other way pouring windex. Leave house for a few hours. Chlorine in bleach reacts with ammonia in windex, makes a gas that dissolves mucous membranes. Needless to say, trapping is a bit more friendly.
Careful with this... you'll be spitting up blood and other fluids from your lungs or worse.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:05 AM
Prepared

You don't have to gas them, trap them, shoot them, etc.

1. Get all the supplies you need to remedy the problem of them getting in, check everywhere to make sure you identify every problem area and have everything ready.

2. Get a "jam box" type stereo or similar, make a CD full of ear piercing death metal alternated with bass thumping gangster rap, place it in your attic with the volume not quite loud enough to blow the speakers out or worse (police). An alternative to this is to simply get an old circular saw, tape the trigger depressed, put it in a safe spot secured to plywood or something, and plug it in.

3. When you are pretty sure they are gone, go into the attic to see if they left behind any babies or if there is an old great-grandma squirrel that has gone deaf. pick these guys up and put them in a bag or bucket, take them outside near where the squirrels were getting in and leave them in a safe place.

4. Seal up your house.

I guarantee you this works for any rodents.
The Following User Says Thank You to Daggel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2011, 09:25 AM
Prepared

Be sure to remove them as fast as possible. They can chew through the insulation on wiring that could lead to a fire!!
Old 08-29-2011, 09:40 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by woowoo2 View Post
Strobe lights, they hate them, then seal the hole.
Have you actually tried this? I don't doubt it works in an enclosed area like an attic, but I have seen plenty of squirrels in city areas with flashing lights and cars going by, etc. Just wondering.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,348 Times in 1,976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggel View Post
You don't have to gas them, trap them, shoot them, etc.

1. Get all the supplies you need to remedy the problem of them getting in, check everywhere to make sure you identify every problem area and have everything ready.

2. Get a "jam box" type stereo or similar, make a CD full of ear piercing death metal alternated with bass thumping gangster rap, place it in your attic with the volume not quite loud enough to blow the speakers out or worse (police). An alternative to this is to simply get an old circular saw, tape the trigger depressed, put it in a safe spot secured to plywood or something, and plug it in.

3. When you are pretty sure they are gone, go into the attic to see if they left behind any babies or if there is an old great-grandma squirrel that has gone deaf. pick these guys up and put them in a bag or bucket, take them outside near where the squirrels were getting in and leave them in a safe place.

4. Seal up your house.

I guarantee you this works for any rodents.
Thank you. I'd heard they also hate mothballs, but the problem with that idea is getting face to face with their opening, not knowing if they are home at the moment. I'd also considered the bug bomb trick, but it's not a very tall attic space and I wasn't sure if there would be issues of inadequate space for the volume of fog. Setting speakers in the attic to blast loud music at them I can definitely do.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:58 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Darwath View Post
Thank you. I'd heard they also hate mothballs, but the problem with that idea is getting face to face with their opening, not knowing if they are home at the moment. I'd also considered the bug bomb trick, but it's not a very tall attic space and I wasn't sure if there would be issues of inadequate space for the volume of fog. Setting speakers in the attic to blast loud music at them I can definitely do.
Ixnay on the mothballs, one of the great old wives tales. Mothballs will>>>increase the octane of your premix racing gas,deter roaches, deter moths, deter rodents...pure bs.

go with what I said. I am very certain of it. it isn't something I read about in "American Survival Guide" or "Mother Earth News". it's not something you have to buy.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:48 PM
never quit

Squirrels are 'day walkers'.
They're out foraging for food during the daylight, and return at night.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:45 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,310 Times in 753 Posts

Rat Zapper.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:39 PM

I had squirrels in my attic all winter last year. I would hear them running around in the morning/evening. I tried to fix where they were coming in, but they kept chewing through it.

At the start of summer, they all left and I closed it up again. I thought I had finally got rid of them, but one day I came home from work and the entire upstairs in our house smelled terrible. One of them bastards came back to die where he lived...in my attic. He was baking all day in 100 degree heat. When I went up there, he had maggots all over him. It was the foulest smelling thing ever.

After that I used metal to cover where they were coming in, and haven't had any back since. It was pretty freaky the first time I poked my head up there, with about 6 of them glaring back at me. I'm glad they're gone.