Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 08-26-2011, 08:01 PM

Default SHTF first aid kit.

Advertise Here

Hey guys, I'm new here and have been looking for a thread with suggestions for a SHTF first aid kit, but cannot seem to find one. Most of the ones sold to the public are filled with mostly band aids and crap like that; but if **** did hit the fan then I believe I'd need a little more than a band aid. So I decided that I would like to make my own an put in either in a fanny pack or some other bag of the similar size. Here are some of the items I can think of putting in it, any other suggestions would be great!

Various sized gauze pads
Medical tape
Various sized band aids
Small scissors
Couple pairs of gloves
Alcohol wipes
Sunscreen (I live in FL, its a must)
Anti inflammatory medicine
Anti allergy medicine
ACE wraps
Finger splints
Burn/sting relief
Pain killers
Athletic tape and pre wrap (in case of sprained ankle or wrist)
Couple packets of jello mix (great for calories if you run out of food, just mix with water and drink)

Once upon a time I also saw a nurse giving stitches with a needle and thread; it was crude, but effective. Do you think, if sterilized, this would be a good way to close a wound in a SHTF situation and there were no doctors around?

Last edited by OutDoorGuy92; 08-26-2011 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: Forgot something.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutDoorGuy92 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2011, 10:45 PM
Prepared

The first thing you should do is get trained in first aid. Then you can determine what you will need in your first aid kit (FAK).

I am a former Emergency Medical Technician, US Marine.

This is the contents of my multi-person trauma kit, additional items are added when I determine that I am lacking in certain areas:

TYLENOL – TRAVEL SIZE
IBUPROFEN – TRAVEL SIZE
SLEEP AID – TRAVEL SIZE
PRILOSEC, 2 WEEKS SUPPLE
ANT-ACIDS, PACK OF 4 ROLLS
AMMODIUM AD, 2 WEEKS SUPPLY
EXLAX
ANTIHISTAMINE/DECONGESTANT (PILL FORM), 2 WEEKS SUPPLY
CALAMINE LOTION
ANTI ITCH SPRAY
SUN SCREEN
CHAP STICK, PACK OF 3
BUG BITE STICK
VASOLINE – TUBE
HAND SANITIZER
SALINE WASH
VISINE EYEDROPS/LUBRICANT
TRIPLE ANITBIOTIC OINTMENT
NASAL SPRAY, SALINE
NASAL SPRAY, ANTIHISTAMINE/DECONGESTANT
ALCOHOL PAD
DISINFECTANT PADS
SURGICAL GLOVES, 10 PAIR
SAFETY GLASSES
STETHESCOPE
DISPOSABLE THERMOMETER STRIPS
TOURNIQUETS, 2 EA
COTTON SWABS, 20 EA
SHARPIE PEN
PEN, INK, WRITE IN RAIN
NOTE BOOK, WRITE IN RAIN
POCKET MASK WITH VALVE
TRAUMA SHEERS
MULTI PLIER, GERBER
KNIFE
SCALPELS, DISPOSABLE, 5 EA
TWEEZERS
HEMOSTATS, 2 EA
SISSORS, BANDAGE TYPE
ISRAELI BANDAGES, 2 EA
CHEST SEAL, 2 EA FOR SUCKING CHEST WOUNDS
PEN LIGHT WITH EXTRA BATTERIES
SAM SPLINT, 2 EA
ARM SLING
SNAKE BITE KIT
COLD PACK, INSTANT TYPE, 2 EA
HEAT PACK, 4 EA
ABDOMINAL BANDAGE, 2 EA
WATER, BOTTLED, 2 EA
SURGICAL TAPE, 1 ROLL
KERLIX, BANDAGE, 1 ROLL
ACE BANDAGE, 2 EA
GAUZE PADS, 5 EA 2X2
GAUZE PADS, 5 EA 4X4
I.V. EQUIPMENT
SUTURES
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jarhead1987 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2011, 06:04 PM

A basic FAK will work for now. Like jarhead said, you need medical classes so that you can effectively use the supplies that you desire in an aid bag. I'm an Army medic, EMT, and have been through more medical classes than you could think of. Start off with learning CPR and basic BLS classes, most fire departments will teach them for free.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,603 Times in 1,275 Posts

always include as many months of prescription meds as you can lay your hands on. If you can get on the $10 for 90 days stuff from Walmart get as much as you can. Use what you get and replace the oldest first. Pharmacies may be closed for some time if things go bad. Triage is going to be a way of life or death.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:25 PM
Goat Herder

Thanked 2,784 Times in 820 Posts

Tegaderm and steri-strips. Steri-strips are as good as stitches in most cases and the tegaderm is the ideal bandage once the bleeding has stopped. Very easy things to use. You can get them in most pharmacies including walmart's, or there's always online.
The Following User Says Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2011, 10:04 PM
Isaiah 40:31

Kerlex, duct tape, and ACE wrap. You can MacGuyver pretty much anything else to treat wounds.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:29 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack12982 View Post
A basic FAK will work for now. Like jarhead said, you need medical classes so that you can effectively use the supplies that you desire in an aid bag. I'm an Army medic, EMT, and have been through more medical classes than you could think of. Start off with learning CPR and basic BLS classes, most fire departments will teach them for free.
Also contact your local Red Cross chapter. They have a variety of first aid classes that you can take.

BLS means Basic Life Support.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:08 AM
Semper Fi

Thanked 1,154 Times in 800 Posts

Duct tape. Superglue makes good stitches.

Betadine. Betadine scrub or Hibiclens scrub. Hydrogen peroxide. An alcohol stove with near 100% denatured isopropyl alcohol for sterilization of tweezers, scalpels, etc.

Lots 'n lots of 4x4's. Ace bandages. VET WRAP (better and cheaper) Bandaids of all sizes. Medications- OTC and prescription. Anti-biotic ointment. Etc etc etc.

Store it in a grab 'n go container. Get more first aid training. Read up at least.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:59 AM

Here you go... http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=187120

You may have better luck finding what you're looking for in the First Aid section of the forum. There are a lot of great kits listed there. Good luck.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Forewarned is Forearmed

Thanked 1,103 Times in 408 Posts

Go to youtube and take a look at Nutnfancy Level II Fist Aid Kit. Not bad, I made one and it is in my 4x4 24/7......
Old 09-03-2011, 08:19 AM
Motivated

Thanked 4,446 Times in 1,377 Posts

Avoid quick clot it causes more harm than helps. It is no longer in our IFAKs in the Marine Corps for good reason.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:32 AM

Just a reminder from someone who needs prescription medication on a daily basis , PLEASE keep a copy of the prescription slip you get from the pharmacy with you or in your FAK AT ALL TIMES ..

Nothing like an overzealous cop trying to charge with a schedule 1 or schedule 2 narcotic charge and you being unable to explain where the drugs came from . and depending on how much you have and what medications are in your FAK , it doesnt take many of them to make it felony possession and possibly trafficking ie vicoden , percocet etc
Old 09-03-2011, 08:33 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,589 Times in 626 Posts

I started a first aid kit and now I'm on my fourth trunk One of those great big footlocker type rolling trunks. c

I went and bought a bunch of those plastic shoe type boxes. Each trunk will hold 9 plastic shoe boxes. I labled each shoe box so that it would be oranized.. Pain, Childrens meds, itch/bites, throat, respiratory, eyes, stomach.. and so on. I then tossed things in each box that were related.

I did that in three of the trunks. In the fourth I put all the band aids, gauze, splints, knee braces and items like that. I put thermometers and breathing machine in that box.

What started as small ended up being gigantic!!! Good Luck!! It sounds like you are off to a GREAT start!!
The Following User Says Thank You to tannersmommy26 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jackson View Post
Avoid quick clot it causes more harm than helps. It is no longer in our IFAKs in the Marine Corps for good reason.
Which one did they take out, there's at least 3 different versions that I'm aware of. The first gen Quik Clot was the powder/granules that get super hot and can blow everywhere in the wind. The second gen stuff was Quik Clot 1 put into "tea bags" so it wouldn't blow into eyes. The new Quik Clot is awesome, it comes impregnated into gauze/kerlix. It doesn't get nearly as hot, and is amazing.

You cannot make blanket statements like that, what's your experience with it? I've had good experiences with all the Quik Clot, it's my job on a daily basis...
Old 09-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Trapper

id definitely take some courses if u plan on doing much in a medical situation. The biggest thing id say if just keep alot of the basic stuff dont try and get fancy and buy a bunch of expensive equipment. Looks like a good start though.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,692 Times in 787 Posts

I could have missed it, but I didn't see anyone mention the medical clamps. For any major injuries you will want to have at least a pair of those.