Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 08-23-2011, 06:14 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,093 Times in 376 Posts
Default Freezing lamp oil?

Advertise Here

No, not for freshness...

Ive been stocking up on lamp oil, wicks and lanterns. Since I have gallons of the stuff in my closet - I am thinking of moving it into the barn (saftey first). The barn is not insulated.

Winters here are brutal and negitive temps are common. My question is, if the oil freezes, does it affect quality . I threw a half used container of it in the freezer and it didnt congeal, separate or look any different.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Misanthropy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 06:22 PM
Ham Technician

Thanked 4,019 Times in 1,356 Posts

The quality of Petroleum products are not affected by coldness.
The quality of petroleum products are affected by prolonged heat, and moisture.
However extremely cold lamp oil may burn with a lot of soot until it is warmed up a little.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rockyriver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Pantomime Villain

Thanked 4,872 Times in 2,099 Posts

I don't think so. We've had some pretty harsh winters in the UK these past few years and the next door neighbours' old diesel van had the fuel 'wax' up a few times. As soon as it warmed up he fired up and carried on OK without any problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dark Skies For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,505 Times in 514 Posts

I have never heard of it freezing, though I live in the deep south. I do keep quite a bit of it outside in a storage area of my barn. The newer thin plastic bottles tend to degrade and even leak. So I started pouring mine into plastic gas cans for storage. Seems to be working fine after 2 years. You can always try to put some insulation around them by buying cheap styrofoam Ice Chests, placing the bottles in them and duct taping it closed. That might help protect and insulate them somewhat from the direct exposure to cold.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Pow Pow For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 06:50 PM
Fly it Northward

I have a 10 gallon can of it that came with my property. It's been frozen each winter for about 5 winters now. We see -40 for a few weeks each winter. The lamp fuel is fine.

Depending on the manufacturer or source, you may see parafin (wax) flakes in it at temps below about -15c. It's no big deal. The parafin will melt back into the fuel at room temp. You can use it cold but it smokes a little bit.

Hope this helps
Old 08-23-2011, 07:17 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 4,106 Times in 1,803 Posts

Make popsicles
Old 08-23-2011, 08:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,443 Times in 4,612 Posts

Won't hurt it at all.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:11 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 94,473 Times in 31,275 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Most lamp oils are nothing more than deodorized kerosene. Cold weather doesn't bother it a bit. If you get the kind that is actually liquid paraffin (mineral oil), it might gel, but when it warms up, it melts again and is fine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Proverbs 22:3

Thanked 1,142 Times in 344 Posts

Be careful of any liquid (fuel, oil, alcohol, etc.) that does not freeze. It may look and work fine at -10 deg F, but it is still -10 deg F. If you spill it on your hands/skin, you will get instant frostbite.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bridgetdaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 09:49 PM
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute

Thanked 5,333 Times in 1,870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthropy View Post
No, not for freshness...

Ive been stocking up on lamp oil, wicks and lanterns. Since I have gallons of the stuff in my closet - I am thinking of moving it into the barn (saftey first). The barn is not insulated.

Winters here are brutal and negitive temps are common. My question is, if the oil freezes, does it affect quality . I threw a half used container of it in the freezer and it didnt congeal, separate or look any different.
It does not have a freezing point, it only gets thicker. Chemically it doesn't change.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:51 PM
PreparationInBubbaNation

Thanked 2,034 Times in 974 Posts
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Pow Pow View Post
I have never heard of it freezing, though I live in the deep south. I do keep quite a bit of it outside in a storage area of my barn. The newer thin plastic bottles tend to degrade and even leak. So I started pouring mine into plastic gas cans for storage. Seems to be working fine after 2 years. You can always try to put some insulation around them by buying cheap styrofoam Ice Chests, placing the bottles in them and duct taping it closed. That might help protect and insulate them somewhat from the direct exposure to cold.
Yes Sir, danged old bottles leak in about six years when stored outside
The Following User Says Thank You to Halkon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2011, 04:44 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgetdaddy View Post
Be careful of any liquid (fuel, oil, alcohol, etc.) that does not freeze. It may look and work fine at -10 deg F, but it is still -10 deg F. If you spill it on your hands/skin, you will get instant frostbite.
I've spilled unleaded gas on my hands at -45F and didn't get frostbite. It certainly wasn't comfortable to my already cold hands, but instant damage of any kind would have to occur at much colder temps than even -60F.

If anyone is budget minded about their lamps, you can also use diesel in them, but you have to clean the glass pretty regularly.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daggel For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2012, 04:33 PM

Default lamp oil does freeze

Lamp oil does freeze. I left my home in Northern NH for a few days in the winter...when I came home, the oil in the lamps was frozen solid, as was the oil/wax mixture in my lava lamps. After thawing out via woodstove, everything was fine.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:11 PM
Prepared

just a thought, but if it's for Long Term Storage, what if you keep an eye out for a cheap barrel, get all your oil together, and bury it with the top of the barrel just a few inches below the ground? Assuming you're not talking super harsh temps for long time periods, wouldn't the ground temps keep the stuff above freezing, if only slightly?