Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 08-23-2011, 03:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,284 Times in 2,213 Posts
Default Planting dried beans from the grocery store...

Advertise Here

Will the dried beans you find in the grocery story sprout?

I don't see why they wouldn't, if it's just they dry out the beans and then pack them up, it would be about the same as if you dried them from your own plants to save for seed, right?

I found two bags of Cranberry/Roman Beans in my Wal-mart today. Never seen them there before. I've actually never seen these beans before, either, other than in catalogs. I was curious if they would grow if I planted them.

It would also be a nice supply of seeds - just plant some of the 100s of lbs you have saved up.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dealfinder500 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 03:42 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealfinder500 View Post
Will the dried beans you find in the grocery story sprout?

I don't see why they wouldn't, if it's just they dry out the beans and then pack them up, it would be about the same as if you dried them from your own plants to save for seed, right?

I found two bags of Cranberry/Roman Beans in my Wal-mart today. Never seen them there before. I've actually never seen these beans before, either, other than in catalogs. I was curious if they would grow if I planted them.

It would also be a nice supply of seeds - just plant some of the 100s of lbs you have saved up.
Yes, they will.

I planted a long row of Pinto beans from the grocery store, and even more blackeyed peas.

Both did great, although the pintos didn't really enjoy the heat and drought.

The blackeyed peas, though, loved the heat and the lack of rain did not bother them much.

If you are in a warmer part of the US, I recommend keeping a big bag of blackeyed peas in your preps for seed purposes.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to hideNseek For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 04:04 PM
Survivor

Thanks! It's a little too late this year to plant them (though I will probably do a few just to see) but now I know for next year.
The Following User Says Thank You to dealfinder500 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 04:08 PM
Blech

Thanked 31,224 Times in 8,998 Posts

I planted a row of great northern beans this year. They did fine.

You can sprout them first to check their germination rate.
The Following User Says Thank You to gamgee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 04:28 PM
Hiker

Yep, me to on the northern and cranberry beans. I never order seed and always get them at the grocery store. Good Luck.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Horsecreeker For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 04:36 PM
Survivor

It sure is a lot cheaper at the grocery store!! $1/1lb vs $1.00+ for an ounce or two.
The Following User Says Thank You to dealfinder500 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 05:20 PM
Trapper

Mine did just fine, just as a pointer, for next year, soak them to swelling for several hours before u plant them, it aids in germination.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pammygene For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2011, 12:49 AM

I planted some blackeyed peas this year from the grocery store, planted 5 rows about 35-40 ft long, and they have by far surpassed anything I expected. In the last 2 days I have picked almost 2 5 gal buckets full of peas. I also tried some kidney beans but I think the heat was too much for them. They sprouted ok but died off. Oh, I poured the beans directly from the bag into the seeder, planted and watered. Other than a few waterings and running the tiller between rows once, they have had very little maintenance, which is why the yield was so surprising.
The Following User Says Thank You to jham86 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2011, 06:34 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,236 Times in 1,573 Posts

I tried that this year and they grow great! Now I keep a small jar of each kind I like, packed without o2 for sprouting/growing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Herbalpagan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2011, 07:30 AM

I started my Pinto beans indoors this sprong to see if they would grow.
Out of an egg carton of 12 only 2 came up. I planted them outside and
they as well as my green beans. Next year I will germinate all my beans
so I know how many I have for the garden.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to STREETREBEL For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2011, 07:56 AM
never quit

All of the dried beans should germinate just fine, especially after soaking. I grew great northern bean plants from dried beans I didn't want to eat, and they made wonderful green beans, and then of course if you let them grow and dry on the bush, dried beans again.
Sprouting dried beans is a cheap great way to get sprouts too.
Lentils make great tasting sprouts for egg rolls. (and of course mung beans)
Oh and quinoa is suppose to sprout as well, but I haven't tried it yet.
Google and follow 'sprouting' directions, you don't need a special sprout container either.
The Following User Says Thank You to miles2go22 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2011, 08:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,463 Times in 1,743 Posts

Woo hoo, I can grow small white beans? And Navy beans? Why didn't I ever think of just planting the bean?
Old 08-24-2011, 08:41 AM
never quit

Well, keep in mind, it works so much better if you soak them first, just like if you were going to grow sprouts.
Yea, it's a great savings, but please don't tell Monsanto!
Old 08-25-2011, 09:11 AM

Do pintos grow up poles or grow into bushes? Same question for kidneys.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:52 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishlore View Post
Do pintos grow up poles or grow into bushes? Same question for kidneys.
Funny you should ask. Since they were likely grown in a field crop atmosphere and harvested by machine, I reasoned that the grocery store pintos I planted would be a bush variety.

I was wrong.

I planted them along a section of square-wire fence, just in case, and boy I'm glad I did. They were a vine variety, and did quite well on the fence.

What was interesting is that they started flowering and putting on beans very low on the plant, and did so all the way up until the heat and lack of watering (my fault) killed them. It was just an experiment, but I feel confident in using my dry, store-bought beans to grow food.

Didn't plant any kidney beans, so I'm sorry I can't help you there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hideNseek For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2011, 09:59 AM

Good to know, thanks. I only ask because my bush variety this year grew like gangbusters. My pole varieties have done poorly. Bush varieties are much easier for me in a raised bed scenario so I was hoping to stick with bush varieties, but I like pintos so it's a toss up.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:05 AM
Prepared

I've done it with lentils from the store
The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppycake For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2013, 12:46 PM

I've heard that the beans get irradiated like potatos are to prevent the sprouting. It sounds like that must not be true for everybody. For everyone who has successfully sprouted beans from the grocery store, What brand did you buy?

Has anybody ever preserved pintobeans(young in the pod)?
Old 04-17-2013, 08:42 PM
I want a house.

Maypomatirka black eye peas. On sale for a buck a bag around Christmastime. We have ... a few ... left. lol We get Mr. Goudas here too.

Every other day I'd put a tablespoon or three into a mason jar with the cover off of it. I took some plastic window screen specially from the hardware store and gently 'screwed' the mason lid 'ring' onto it. Was pretty effective.

Rinsed them twice a day, kept them on an 45 degree angle in the dark upside down. Cooked them in a medium wok with the mustard greens and bird seed (millet) we were growing on the window sill. The little beans appreciate trying to 'hook' into the plastic screen, but easily solved. Rinse and rub. Everything can be hot soapy water and bleach rinsed for cleaning.

This was our 'winter garden' this year along with the pepper plant, the tomato plant and the potatoes in the patio window.
Tomato threw off all her flowers and her leaves got yellow spots on them. NO idea why that happens. Pepper grew on the pepper plant, and now it's red and ready to harvest.

We've done chick peas, cow peas, kidney beans (NOT recommended unless you like "BEANY" taste in a medium wok stir fry situation.)
Honestly, I think if you're willing to throw a couple of bucks at a bag of beans or peas, they'll grow for you. I'm hoping this year we can get some of these puppies to produce some more sprouts for us.
The spice section has a couple of things you can plant and grow too; sesame seeds (yummy protein AND oil), fenugreek, dill seeds, mustard seeds, etc.

To me, honestly, I think it costs more to irradiate things than to let them just sit in bags. I'd buy and try, but only buy the fun things that we use.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ewe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2013, 08:54 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,989 Times in 931 Posts

Pinto's are grown as bush beans by all the farmers round here, I didn't even know they could climb.

Last summer I grew a whole bunch of dry beans from seed I sorted out of a bag of 15 bean soup mix from the grocery. We're a little on the cool side for most beans here but I found a few that did ok. I think I learned why the locals grow pintos though. They were easily the best performers.
The Following User Says Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post: