Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 08-23-2011, 09:45 AM
Cautious Optimist

Default Your Target Amount of Rice for One Person / One Year

Advertise Here

I know this has probably been discussed before (as someone is surely to remind me). However, after three searches I grow weary of sifting through the thousands of threads already on the site.

Instead, I now appeal to the expertise of all those who are reading the boards today ...

What is a good "target" for rice storage for one person, at purely a survival rate, for one year? In pounds.

Understand that I am prepping multitudes of other food items. Water - yes. Guns and ammo - yes. Everyone seems to have their own prepping peeves.

So, without the usual lectures about needing other stuff , can you give me your personal recommendations for my rice question?

Gracias

Last edited by Gunner65; 08-23-2011 at 12:48 PM..
Old 08-23-2011, 10:00 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,932 Times in 1,728 Posts

50 pounds for adults and 25 pounds for children under 7
The Following User Says Thank You to rugster For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 10:02 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,029 Times in 397 Posts

Depends on if it is white rice or brown rice. No matter which one you pick you will be called a racist.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hackroutetracer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 10:17 AM
Hiker

If you do a search for foodstorage calculator you will get many hits that'll give you figures for most things at least one even includes fruits and veggies.

The best way I have found is to track it yourself for a month. I do this by planning a months worth of food and then buying it all at once. I try to not go to the store and keep a list of what I ran out of. This takes some planning and commitment on a daily basis but you will have a much better idea of how much you need of each item for you and yours.

Keep in mind diets change somewhat with the seasons ie we tend to eat more sandwiches then soups, stews, and chili's during the summer.

Try shopping for everything for a month and you will find the holes in your planning and storage for not only food but everything else you need reguarly.

Once I get this down I will move on to planning cooking and such if this or that happened. This month was an utter fail in my planning due to lack of daily planning for meals. Thus I learned something valuable. I also due to neck and back injury's found that I need to look for alternatives for times when I'm not able to do my normal baking.

So basically the answer is not just a figure somewhere someone can give you and have it be correct. Keep in mind the calculators usually plan for the minimum food you would need and doesn't account for increased calorie needs during an emergency.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 31,600 Times in 6,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackroutetracer View Post
Depends on if it is white rice or brown rice.
Brown rice does not store for long periods of time. The oils in the rice wil make it go rancid in just a few months.

As for the OP, my goal would be to have at least 100 pounds of rice stored.

As for "per person", I can not plan like that. I do not know how many of my kids and grandkids will show up needing food.

My wife has 3 grown children that live locally, and then we have 8 grandkids through those 3 grown kids. If I said 50 pounds of rice per person, that would be 5 X 50, or 250 pounds of rice for my wife, myself, and 3 grown kids, then another X amount of rice for the grandkids.

With those numbers, your talking an easy 300 or 400 pounds of rice. I just do not have "that" much room that I can dedicate to just rice.

I would like to have 100 - 150 pounds of rice stored in mylar bags. I think that is a reasonable number.

If you have a question about the forum, please post it in this section.
General questions sent through private messages will be ignored.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 10:22 AM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 24,102 Times in 7,315 Posts

I have 200# of white rice and 60# of Basmati rice. My intent was to have food for a year for four people, and I think this exceeds that amount. It all depends on the menu you're planning on using, but for me, this is a staple and having almost 3/4 of a pound of rice per person per day is a sufficient amount, IMO.

Of course, I have a ton of other food stored (literally), so this isn't all I have. Wheat berries, beans, popcorn, lentils, oat groats, pasta (spaghetti), split peas, potato flakes, flour--they're all there as staples.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,541 Times in 3,302 Posts

200#'s is about what I have for two people for a year and I'm not sure if it's enough. But then I guess it's what you make of it. My wife and I like it as a side dish with many meals.

Like so many other grains there are multiple ways of serving it.

And like others we also have all sorts or other grains stored too.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:46 AM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 31,600 Times in 6,681 Posts

Anyone thinking of stockpiling a lot of white rice needs to read this thread:

The danger of stockpiling white rice for SHTF <-- click the link

The more white rice you eat, the higher your risk of developing diabetes.

If you have a question about the forum, please post it in this section.
General questions sent through private messages will be ignored.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 11:06 AM
Cautious Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post

Kev, it's like anything else ... if used in moderation and as part of balanced meals & diet, then white rice is an excellent source of carbohydrates. The key is to have a meal with a good balance of fat and protein. You actually need the carb calories from a complex carbohydrate like rice to break down the proteins in meat and beans.

Balance ... all things in moderation.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to digger65 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Cautious Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackroutetracer View Post
Depends on if it is white rice or brown rice. No matter which one you pick you will be called a racist.
Too funny ...
Old 08-23-2011, 11:34 AM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 24,102 Times in 7,315 Posts

Quote:

The Chinese must have an incredible rate of diabetes, then.

I agree w/ Digger--in moderation it's fine.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:43 AM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugster View Post
50 pounds for adults and 25 pounds for children under 7
That may work in some homes but we go thru twice that much when we have other choices. We ususally go thru about 5 lbs a week for two of us.

My suggestion is to track your useage for a month, then multiply by 18 (12 months X 1.5 times your useage.) just to be on the safe side.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:48 AM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,632 Posts

Quote:

This is all conditional on your activity level as well, if you are active your body needs more carbs than a couch potato. Just look at some of the distance runners chowing down 2-3 times the normal carbs. After SHTF there will probably less sitting around watching TV and more working on surviving, gardening and things that will burn extra carbs and calories off.
The Following User Says Thank You to KCChimneyman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 11:52 AM
It is what it is

One of the best food calculators is provided by the LDS:

http://lds.about.com/library/bl/faq/blcalculator.htm

An adult needs about 500 pounds of food per year. Of this, maybe half or more could be rice. But you should try to have even proporations of staples like rice, beans, oats, wheat and canned goods just to stay healthy.

Don't forget a case each of honey, maple syrup, iodized salt, pepper and vegetable oil.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brad in Seattle For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Hiker

I prep rice and beans at about 1:1 ratio per unit of volume. I'm prepping the rice, beans and vitamins as an absolute most basic for survival and from my calculations given 8 150 calorie servings of rice per day will use a 50 lb bag of rice in 2 months per person. All the other types of food in my preps will result in the rice/beans lasting longer but I don't calculate them into the survival time--I just go off the amount of time my rice/beans/vitamins will give us.
The Following User Says Thank You to thelaststand For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 12:22 PM
Self-sufficiency or bust

mine would be based on 2oz per day so 21kg per person per year.
as i was a chef so i use that ( 1kg = 17 x 2oz,s.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:47 PM
Prepared

Most say 50 lbs per adult along with your other stored foods...I store 75 lbs to 100 per adult simply because I like rice and it won't hurt to have more...rice goes with just about everything and makes a good filler.
Twice this month I've found sales on 20 lb bags for $7.00..so I grabbed another 6 bags (120 lbs) for a mere $42. That will help feed another 2 to 3 people or I will have an extra 2 years worth for myself by storage standards.

Stew over rice
Vege's over rice
Chili over rice
Chicken & gravy over rice
Soup with rice
Pork & Beans over rice
Ramen over rice
Tuna over rice
Spam and rice
Beef gravy over rice
Rice pudding
etc. etc etc.

Last edited by Jules64; 08-23-2011 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: sp
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jules64 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 91,748 Times in 30,659 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

It depends on the caloric needs of the person you're storing for. Since rice isn't the only grain I store, I can only give you a guesstimate of all grains, rather than just my rice.

The LDS recommendation is roughly 250-300 lbs of grains and 50-70 lbs of beans yearly if I remember right. And that's just about what I store. But I store more wheat than rice, along with barley, oats and corn. Variety is important, not only for meal versatility, but also for nutrition.

The general recommendation for grain to bean ratio is generally about 2.5-3 parts grains to 1 part beans. This is for optimum balance of complementary amino acids. Changing that ratio too much wastes amino acids that could have been combined to make whole proteins.

Beans and grains are just the backbone of food preps though. You still need other foods to go along with them. Dairy, veggies, etc. And preferably some form of fresh veggies. Whether from a garden or from sprouting. This is another reason I choose to store wheat. Not only is it more nutritious than the typical white rice that most of us store, but it can be sprouted to provides greens and live enzymes. It can also be planted to grow more wheat. Beans can also be sprouted, but still need cooked before eating to neutralize a somewhat toxic enzyme that beans have.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 02:12 PM
Sua Sponte

Thanked 2,441 Times in 617 Posts

I figure, just talking calories, that one pound of rice is pretty close (bit low, but close) for one person one day. So if I wanted to stock rice only just to meet only the strict calorie requirements I would look at 365 pounds per person. However, I wouldn't do that.

At most I'd look at 300 pounds per person (or one twenty five pound bag per month) with other calories coming from other sources. Beans, meats, canned food, that sort of thing. And honestly, that is probably pushing it.

By the way, you can get about 250 pounds (ten 25 pound bags) of rice into a 45 gallon trashcan. Just thought I would toss that in.

Anyhow, if you threw in a twenty five pound bag per person per month I think you would probably be on your road. While you want other foods, from wheat to beans to meat to just about anything really, you should probably start with calories first.

And, of course, don't forget the vitamins.

The thing is this. Don't get wrapped up in the details. If you got calories coming in, it will be a long time before you die. Stock some food and figure out the right balance of 'this with that later' on. Just don't stock rice and stop. Stock a bunch of rice and then add other stuff.

I would not be concerned either with the diabetes issue. Asian countries have notoriously low rates of diabetes, and eat rice like we eat nothing else. This is an example of someones study disproving reality. Some Asian countries are only just now starting to have diabetic problems - now that their diet is going from traditional to American. Which is to say, from rice and towards fast food.

YMMV,
Chad
The Following User Says Thank You to GoblintheCat For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 06:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,457 Times in 795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules64 View Post
Most say 50 lbs per adult along with your other stored foods...I store 75 lbs to 100 per adult simply because I like rice and it won't hurt to have more...rice goes with just about everything and makes a good filler.
Twice this month I've found sales on 20 lb bags for $7.00..so I grabbed another 6 bags (120 lbs) for a mere $42. That will help feed another 2 to 3 people or I will have an extra 2 years worth for myself by storage standards.

Stew over rice
Vege's over rice
Chili over rice
Chicken & gravy over rice
Soup with rice
Pork & Beans over rice
Ramen over rice
Tuna over rice
Spam and rice
Beef gravy over rice
Rice pudding
etc. etc etc.
I like to think of myself as an old Asia hand, but this is innovative!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mule Skinner For This Useful Post: