Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum > Edible & Non-Edible Plants
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 08-21-2011, 12:05 PM

Default Edible wild plants in Florida?

Advertise Here

I have seen books about edible wild plants. But, I want to know if there is a book or online information that teaches what wild plants in Florida.
Thanks,
Kathy
Old 08-21-2011, 12:25 PM
I love this forum

Here's a website.

Problem here is there seems to be very little that is edible.

There's wild grape vines everywhere - but they almost never actually fruit anymore (different than when I was young. They fruited then, now they almost never do. Most people don't even recognise they are grape vines). Black berries, same deal. Pine nut seeds are abundant and edible but take a lot of work. Flatwoods persimmons have a lot of fruit, when you can actually find a tree, which seems rare.

There's wild cherries and crabapples too but most of the time its too hot for them to fruit. Last summer was the first time our crabapple tree ever fruited because the winter before was so cold,and the summer before was so wet. You have to wait until the fall frost to soften them up and make them edible and then you have to get all of them you plan on taking because they go bad fast and birds start eating them.

Actually, the most plentiful fruit I've found in the wild here is oranges. Some fruit all year, the ones along rivers I've found tend to become ripe in November and they never turn from green to orange, but they are delicious.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:22 PM
Wild Edibles Expert

Thanked 9,784 Times in 4,220 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 3

Go to my website, which will also be changing in a couple of weeks. I'm in Florida.

eattheweeds dot com.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,419 Times in 1,455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalcalm View Post
Here's a website.

There's wild grape vines everywhere - but they almost never actually fruit anymore (different than when I was young. They fruited then, now they almost never do. Most people don't even recognise they are grape vines). Black berries, same deal. Pine nut seeds are abundant and edible but take a lot of work. Flatwoods persimmons have a lot of fruit, when you can actually find a tree, which seems rare.

There's wild cherries and crabapples too but most of the time its too hot for them to fruit. Last summer was the first time our crabapple tree ever fruited because the winter before was so cold,and the summer before was so wet. You have to wait until the fall frost to soften them up and make them edible and then you have to get all of them you plan on taking because they go bad fast and birds start eating them.

Actually, the most plentiful fruit I've found in the wild here is oranges. Some fruit all year, the ones along rivers I've found tend to become ripe in November and they never turn from green to orange, but they are delicious.
You forgot blueberries, strawberries, and, if youre lucky enough to stumble across an old farm homestead, pear trees, pecan is also very common on the homesteads.

Unfortunately I havent come across many resources that cover edibles here in Florida. Ive given half-hearted searches in the past myself and came up with less than stellar results. Apparently wilderness survival around here is a crap shoot if you dont/cant hunt and fish.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:31 PM
Wild Edibles Expert

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLICK75 View Post
You forgot blueberries, strawberries, and, if youre lucky enough to stumble across an old farm homestead, pear trees, pecan is also very common on the homesteads.

Unfortunately I havent come across many resources that cover edibles here in Florida. Ive given half-hearted searches in the past myself and came up with less than stellar results. Apparently wilderness survival around here is a crap shoot if you dont/cant hunt and fish.
You need to go to my webstie, eattheweeds dot com. I also have 129 videos on You Tube
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Straight Razor For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Retired Army

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Razor View Post
You need to go to my webstie, eattheweeds dot com. I also have 129 videos on You Tube
Trust me. Go to his website. I love your vids SR.

Al
The Following User Says Thank You to Al Diehl For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,419 Times in 1,455 Posts

Quote:
Checking it out now. Thanks.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:03 PM
Savage intellectual

Thanked 1,474 Times in 722 Posts

And if you get a chance, check out taking a class with SR in person. I did it last month and it was great. 4 solid hours of green plants you get to meet and eat.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Let us reason together

Thanked 7,271 Times in 3,244 Posts

Quote:
Love your videos. I am subscribed.
Love your site too. Great info! Thank you.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Wild Edibles Expert

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Here's a website.

Problem here [Florida] is there seems to be very little that is edible.
On my website I have hundreds of edible species in Florida, 'cause I'm in Florida.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Do you smell that?

Thanked 48,341 Times in 3,179 Posts

Quote:
Here's a website.

Very little that is edible? Have you done any research? There are edibles every season of the year. As for grapes, they are everywhere, some fruit, some dont. We collected gallons from one vine this year. You can dry them into raisins, or make jelly or whatever. Like SR's site will show, there are hundreeds of edibles across the state. Some are very regional, some statewide. Many are escaped cultivated varieties. I love sampling the wild eats, so do my kids. Its a lot of fun to them.

My youngest daughter caused a woman at her bus stop to almost have a heart atack when she pulled the growing tip from a Greenbrier and ate it. She asked me if I was worried about her doing that and I said "hell, I encourage it!". We work on one plant at a time and she isnt allowed to eat anything when Im not around. But she knows the Greenbrier and cattails, Palmetto and few others that are very distinct.

Learning the edibles in your area is fun and rewarding. I only wish I had SR's knowledge.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:27 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeryamerican View Post
Very little that is edible? Have you done any research?
Yes.

There's not much where I live/work. Ex. grapes. Like I said, the vines are everywhere, they never fruit around here (and I've seen the vines every day for the past ten years all over the woods and fields). I've seen one with grapes in ten years.

I don't regard things like beggar's ticks plants and pine needles really, the two most common things around here that would get on a list of edibles, because they're both pretty nasty. If you were starving and ate them it would make no difference either.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:05 AM
Wild Edibles Expert

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Yes.

There's not much where I live/work. Ex. grapes. Like I said, the vines are everywhere, they never fruit around here (and I've seen the vines every day for the past ten years all over the woods and fields). I've seen one with grapes in ten years.

I don't regard things like beggar's ticks plants and pine needles really, the two most common things around here that would get on a list of edibles, because they're both pretty nasty. If you were starving and ate them it would make no difference either.
Are you in Florida? I have hundreds of edibles species in Florida (over 800) because there is where I am based.

As for beggars ticks (Bidens Alba) they have twice the nutrition of spinach, they store well raw or cooked, you can have them resinous in flavor or not, they are available nearly year round for free, the seeds can be ground up and used as a pain killer, the older leaves are good for a sore throat, and the seeds are also used to treat prostrate issues. If you are in Florida and you think there are no edibles you need to study my website. Eattheweeds dot com.

Re pines (read pinus.) A pound of inner bark has the same nutrition of 9 cups of whole milk. The female and male cones can be eaten when young, particuarly the males cones. The needles make a good tea with vitamin C. The sap has many uses, as a cough medicine, a chewing gum, various cements and glues depending on what it is mixed with, an antiseptic, fuel for fires, torches and lamps, even the pollen is a substitute for testosterone. The pine is a tree to know well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Straight Razor For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2011, 12:09 AM
Wild Edibles Expert

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Yes.

Native grapes, Vitis munsoniana and V. rotundifolia are very erratic in fruiting. More reliable are the escaped cultivars such as V. aestivalis or V. shuttleworthii. They are around, you just have to find them.

You say there aren't many edible in Florida. I make my living teaching about the hundreds of edibles in Florida.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:44 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Native grapes, Vitis munsoniana and V. rotundifolia are very erratic in fruiting. More reliable are the escaped cultivars such as V. aestivalis or V. shuttleworthii. They are around, you just have to find them.

You say there aren't many edible in Florida. I make my living teaching about the hundreds of edibles in Florida.
Well, looking back now, I said: Problem here is there seems to be very little that is edible.

I didn't say what you're saying I did - I gave my perception ("there seems") about my locale (all of Florida is not the same), I didn't make a matter-of-fact statement about the entire state.

I didn't say this tampered version in your quote:
"Problem here [Florida] is there seems to be very little that is edible."
Old 09-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Wild Edibles Expert

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Well, looking back now, I said: Problem here is there seems to be very little that is edible.

I didn't say what you're saying I did - I gave my perception ("there seems") about my locale (all of Florida is not the same), I didn't make a matter-of-fact statement about the entire state.

I didn't say this tampered version in your quote:
"Problem here [Florida] is there seems to be very little that is edible."
I added "Florida" in case new readers did not know where you were referring to. Sorry if that was too general. As for your area, I don't know where you are in the state but I teach all over the state and always find dozens of edible species in every possible environment, upland scrub to swamps to downtown.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:57 PM
Recent Blog:
Hunter

Thanked 4,825 Times in 1,165 Posts

[QUOTE=Straight Razor;3209091]Native grapes, Vitis munsoniana and V. rotundifolia are very erratic in fruiting. More reliable are the escaped cultivars such as V. aestivalis or V. shuttleworthii. They are around, you just have to find them.

You say there aren't many edible in Florida. I make my living teaching about the hundreds of edibles in Florida.[/QUOTE]

Where do you do this at SR and how does one get involved? Also, age limit?
Thanks,
Bob
Old 10-01-2011, 09:59 PM
Wild Edibles Expert

Awards Showcase

[quote=charlindabob;3284205]
Quote:

You say there aren't many edible in Florida. I make my living teaching about the hundreds of edibles in Florida.[/QUOTE]

Where do you do this at SR and how does one get involved? Also, age limit?
Thanks,
Bob
My teaching schedule is on my website, except this week I am shifting from one site to another, have hits a few bumps. I teach on weekend all over the state. Last week I was in West Palm Beach, today I was in Daytona Beach. Next Saturday I will be in Jacksonville. Later this month Gainesville and Port Charlotte. I also usually have something near Orlando every weekend.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:00 AM

Default Pine seeds, Pine needles, and Beauty berries.

I recently started a club here in florida that does outdoor gear reviews and bush-crafting. I have found the following plants to be edible in florida:
Palmetto berries
Palmetto hearts
Pine seeds
Elderberry
Beauty Berry
Persimmons
Wild potatoes

Here are a few reviews we did on concerning some of the above listed items:

This one mentions and shows us making pine tea:

Hope that helps.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:47 PM
Wild Edibles Expert

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSage View Post
I recently started a club here in florida that does outdoor gear reviews and bush-crafting. I have found the following plants to be edible in florida:
You should visit my website... and exactly what "wild" potatoes are you referring to. By they way I should have a class in Tarpon Springs in a few weeks.