Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival > Communications
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 08-20-2011, 06:26 PM
Communications Bunker

Thanked 1,028 Times in 432 Posts
Default Baofeng UV-3R

Advertise Here

I received my UV-3R in the mail today. I have been getting familiar with it and working with its various features for the past couple of hours and overall I am satisfied with the radio. It will work well for its intended use. Doing some basic testing on both the 2M and 70cm bands, I have received good audio reports and the receive audio is clear, although the size of the speaker is not optimized for lower audio frequencies. The radio is about the size of a typical FRS radio. It offers 99 programmable channels and automatically switches band based on the channel contents as its tuned. Overall, this seems to me to be a good, low cost radio for anyone who is on a budget and wants to become active with radio communications. This is also a good radio for portable use and can be recharged using a modified solar iPod charger or a USB cable. The radio is comparable in size to the Yaesu VX-3R. It has a SMA antenna jack and any standard SMA adapter can be used to connect it to any external antenna system. It will accept a Yaesu style external speaker/mic and accessories for the radio can be had cheap.

While this radio isn't the same caliber as a Yaesu or Motorola or other name brand radio, it is a good entry level radio for the prepper on a budget.

Cost, including shipping and USB programming cable is less than $70.

The Following User Says Thank You to KF4LNE For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2011, 08:47 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,528 Times in 501 Posts

WOW less than $70 almost makes that a disposable item! It's even less than the Woexum (spelling?) that's going for about $100 or so. Where did you get it from?

I might get one or two just to have as spares! Thanks for the tip!
Old 08-20-2011, 09:56 PM
Communications Bunker

I got it from an ebay source. just do a search for the UV-3R and you can find all the radios and accessories. They also come in red and blue.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:58 AM
VIP Member

I think I remember reading a review of this radio. I think the power output is two watts, IIRC. I have a box full of Puxing PX-777 radios that I've been happy with (VHF) and I still really like my Wouxon KG-UVD1P dual band radio - now setting that one up to work AO-50.

The 'big three' are taking a hit on HT sales, I'll bet.

-bob
Old 08-21-2011, 12:07 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF4LNE View Post
I got it from an ebay source. just do a search for the UV-3R and you can find all the radios and accessories. They also come in red and blue.
Thank you!

I googled it and found it for $59 but that was from some vendor in Hong Kong. Another place was US-based but wanted too much money. There was nothing at all on Amazon. I will check eBay.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Communications Bunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tevin View Post
Thank you!

I googled it and found it for $59 but that was from some vendor in Hong Kong. Another place was US-based but wanted too much money. There was nothing at all on Amazon. I will check eBay.
To get them the cheapest just order direct from China. The UV-3R doesn't appear to have a FCC certification so you may not be able to find a lot of selection from US suppliers.

As far as the "Big 3" taking a hit, I would bet they are taking a hit on handheld sales. I see more new hams with Chinese brands of radios than I see of the common Japanese brands of radios.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:22 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF4LNE View Post
To get them the cheapest just order direct from China. The UV-3R doesn't appear to have a FCC certification so you may not be able to find a lot of selection from US suppliers.
Yeh, all of the eBay sellers offering these are Asia-based.

It seems the most visible eBay seller is "radioshop888". When I did a google search for this radio, independent website www.radioshop888.com was at the top of the search results.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:23 PM

Default Baofeng uv-3r

Yeah, in early august I bought mine for 59.95 at pagedeskradio.com. They shipped it that same day as well! I really didn't like buying the radio from overseas, and these people were very courteous.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:37 PM
Target Shooter

This is a cheap knock off of the vx-3r made by yaesu. Yet, I have heard great reviews with chinese radios. Maybe this will force yaesu to lower their prices as well.