Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 07-10-2008, 10:08 AM

Default AES10B or Yugoslavian M72 RPK

Advertise Here

I've been looking into buying a heavy rifle for awhile now and have come down to
buying either the Romanian AES10B or the Yugo M72. Looking through prices the
Yugo is going to run about $150 more.

Some pros I've heard and can see from from the Yugo are that it has a better finish,
needs less work out of the box, longer buttstock, and correct RPK
bipod.

In the AES10B's favor, it has a chrome barrel, carrying handle, cheaper, and has a scope
rail. Although there have been more complaints of mags fitting loosely and the sites being
way off.

Have been researching the two all night and still can't decide. Anyone have any
experience with these rifles? Could use some help
choosing.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:58 PM

no one has any suggestions or advice?

Went to the gun store today and got to see both in person. The Yugo is defenetly a better quality build, but still not sure if it justifies the $200 more price tag. They both are a bit top heavy, but I was expecting that with the longer and larger barrel. One thing I didn't like about the AES10B was the short buttstock, might be hard to steady the rifle while standing up. But I figure if I save the extra 200 dollars, I could spend that on a stock extender or a new one all together. Could also buy a drum magazine, real rpk bipod, and more ammo.

Would probably look into finishing the rifle like this

Not exactly sure what he used, will have to do some research. Anyone ever coated a gun like this?
Old 07-10-2008, 09:28 PM
rogue agent

i would go with the yugo. i like there quilty better. they also seem to be a more reliable shooter in the long run. even with modern fire arms being made to be interchangable i have found the yugo stuff to handle mulitple parts swaping better, which is a must in a battlefield situation.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:11 AM

So after a lot of thought, I think I'm going to have to go with the AES10B. Yes the Yugo is a better quality gun over all, but I just can't justify the increased price especially with the lack of the chrome barrel. We can get some great deals on slightly corroded ammo around here, and I don't know if I would want to risk shooting it without the chrome lining or with a more expensive gun. The prices have already gone up on the Yugo sense I saw them last, and as of now I can't find one for less then $200 more then the AES10B. Was talking to a guy who has both and told me they both shoot about the same once they're both properly sighted in. Going to use the $200 I save to buy drum mag, ammo, and save for a nice AK47 I'll be buying next.

Once i get it, I'm probably going to sand down the stock and other wood peice and look more into applying some truck liner to it. Have seen some pictures and it looks pretty good to me

Here's the pictures of a guy's Saiga he used truck liner on

I'll be making a thread when I do it myself to let you know how it turns out
Old 07-15-2008, 01:23 PM
"Dolt"

Thanked 3,214 Times in 1,204 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeEagle12 View Post
Some pros I've heard ...
Leave the herding to the cowboys ...

Both will be working long after you and your children are gone . Just buy lots of ammo with it and shoot the crap out of it.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:17 AM

I though AES10B's did not come with chrome lined barrels? Maybe I am wrong.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:08 AM
"Dolt"

Thanked 3,214 Times in 1,204 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by caduckgunner View Post
I though AES10B's did not come with chrome lined barrels? Maybe I am wrong.
Not sure, the century kits have non-chrome lined if memory serves me correctly.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:41 PM

The AES10B does come with a chrome lined barrel
The Yugo M72 does not

Just got the gun yesterday, and spent the day cleaning it up. Starting to look real nice if you ask me. Very happy overall with the quality of the gun. Can't wait till I have some time to shoot it
Old 07-16-2008, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocYoung View Post
Leave the herding to the cowboys ...

Both will be working long after you and your children are gone . Just buy lots of ammo with it and shoot the crap out of it.
? don't understand what your saying, probably because I'm very tired and not thinking straight.

They both maybe last a long time, but overall if I can only have one of them, I'd rather save $200 and get a more durable barrel. Maybe I'll get the Yugo someday, but as of now I'm very pleased with my purchase.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:52 AM
Zombnado4:Goat, Sheep

Thanked 13,489 Times in 3,490 Posts

You did the right thing. Form and fit are not the same as function, however the yugo does not have the club foot and that is very desirable for this sort of bipod fired arm. These are sort of the opposite of the ak where you have a hand on the front end. With these you need to be able to pull up and in on that club foot. adding a brake that doesn't throw dust might also be a thought......

One more thing, you may want to pull the front wood handguards and line them with an aluminum heat sheald fashioned from thin sheet.

Last edited by Brew; 07-18-2008 at 02:17 AM..
Old 07-18-2008, 02:01 AM
Zombnado4:Goat, Sheep

Thanked 13,489 Times in 3,490 Posts

If I had the dough it would be the RPD with the 8-10 drum belt compliment. I just think the have 'cool' factor...

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/prog...asp?Prodid=391

Still the AES10 is a very fast drum change and no fumbling with belts or crews. I keep looking at the low tag but its not in the budget. :-(