Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 08-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Trapper

Default Ontario Kukri ???

Advertise Here

I was reading the "Which Kukri to buy thread" and came across the Ontario one mentioned. I remeber seeing some quite a while back and still can find them on the web. Has anybody ever used or owned one??? In put thought on them??? I have one of the Kabar's but this struck an interest with me. Thanks (like I need another knife )
Old 08-08-2011, 10:55 AM
Answer Is No

I am pretty sure they are out of production, but are very common on Ebay and a few sellers sights still. They were good 1095 steel, 1/4 inch thick and shaped more like the classical Nepalese blade than any other American made version.
Mostly the only issue I've ever heard was the scabbard, it is cheap and sucks.
cheers
Old 08-08-2011, 12:45 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,198 Times in 559 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselrunner View Post
I was reading the "Which Kukri to buy thread" and came across the Ontario one mentioned. I remeber seeing some quite a while back and still can find them on the web. Has anybody ever used or owned one??? In put thought on them??? I have one of the Kabar's but this struck an interest with me. Thanks (like I need another knife )
This knife is not in the current online Ontario catalog so I'd guess they didn't sell well enough to keep making them.

I have one I bought a long time ago to try the kukri blade shape. It's a really nice knife for the money but I would sell mine today in a heart beat since I need to thin my collection.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:25 PM

Thread revival!!!!!

the Ontario Knife Company's Kukri is still in production and available all over the web. I just bought one form Chestnut ridge knife co. Been chopping stuff for a few days now; ever since i got it.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila. View Post
Thread revival!!!!!

the Ontario Knife Company's Kukri is still in production and available all over the web. I just bought one form Chestnut ridge knife co. Been chopping stuff for a few days now; ever since i got it.

Welllll ??? how is it doing ??? and how is your hand holding up ??
Old 10-06-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselrunner View Post
Welllll ??? how is it doing ??? and how is your hand holding up ??
Chops like any good machete should, and since it is a kukri, its doin even better due to the weight (1/4" spine at the grip but towards the tip it tapers to <1/4"). its only been 2x4s, boxes, and such, but so far so good.

i noticed that the black epoxied coating on the blade is coming off (slowly) after chopping through a 2x4 of pressure treated pine.

the edge provided stock is not "sharp" by pocket knife standards (i prefer an edge that will shave arm hairs with minimal effort). the 1095 is of course doing well. it holds an edge well enough for a chopping tool. i will be sharpening it to a keen edge, but don't know the heat treating of the blade, so it may not retain the edge for long. i did notice that the grind on the cutting edge is not the same along the span of the cutting surface. turns out (may just be coincidence) that the grind on the last ~3" (at the tip) and the first ~4" (from grip) is a more acute angle (more like a pocket knife again). i suspect this is because those areas are not the intended chopping section. or it may be poor production practices that yielded a cool feature. when chopping kindling, the ~4" section by the grip is convenient even in its stock sharpness as it will split the wood along the grain quite nicely with very light tapping on concrete. the tip (~3") cuts nicely if you mean to use it (discovered while destroying the box it was delivered in ). it has a slashing effect up there instead of chopping and the grind is conducive to such cutting action.

the biggest problem i have found is the dam sheath. its been noted countless times that the sheath is absolute rubbish. this is a fact. Ontario Knife Co (OKC) said they've had discussion with 2 other manufacturers about production of better sheaths, but nothing has come of it yet. i even called them both and neither had any developments. so in light of them sucking, i researched how, found materials, ordered kydex making tools, and have designed what i feel is going to be a great sheath. i built my simple kydex press today and will be receiving my materials on tuesday (hopefully). i'm looking forward to a cool new hobby and skill in kydex working.

until the kydex stuff gets here and the sheath idea comes to fruition, i have replaced the 10" shoe lace (total length so actually about 4" when passed through pommel hole and tied) from the hole with hemp twine. i made two loops on the end. one (closer one) for my thumb (to wrap around hand and then i grip it) and one that will allow for the blade staying more securely in the sheath by passing the button strap through the hole and then buttoning the sheath shut. Its does the trick quite well, but i'd rather simplify things by just using a secure sheath to begin with.

pictures:
(with silly shoe string which is too short to wrap around hand)

(hemp twine is temporary but works well. will replace with nicer later)

i'll probably have more to comment on and will be taking more pics later. hope this helps. once the sheath is done, i'll post pics for sure... well, if i remember...

oh, and my hand is fine! the kraton handle is comfy though it can fit a very large hand! i wear XL gloves mostly due to finger length, but this grip could fit a MEATY XL hand no prob. with the strap around my thumb, its very secure.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila. For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2012, 10:12 AM

well deserved too. they should have seperate ratings for the blade and the sheath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaqhama View Post
Mostly 5 star reviews of the knife at Amazon.com

Amazon.com: Ontario 6420 OKC Kukri Knife (Black): Sports &amp; Outdoors
Old 10-07-2012, 10:40 AM

alright, i said i'd get some more photos, so here are a few to help describe the blade.

first is my solution for the looseness when clipped in the sheath.

next is a pictoral description of the edge grind (and black epoxy coating coming off slowly)

one thing i forgot to mention in initial description is the grind from 1/4 stock before putting the edge on the blade wasn't done perfectly. there is a crescent swept out on either side of the blade which i am pointing at in these two pics. the crescent on the right side of the blade terminates at the spine about 0.5" farther down than the left side crescent. its really not a problem, just something i noticed. these may be hand ground, leading to differences between blades.

and thats all i have for today. next reply will be once i have the sheath done (need to finish before the weekend for a road trip where i'll be showing it off to my brother ).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila. For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2012, 08:52 AM
Just reboot 3 times...

Thanked 1,710 Times in 760 Posts

Quote:
alright, i said i'd get some more photos, so here are a few to help describe the blade.

first is my solution for the looseness when clipped in the sheath.

next is a pictoral description of the edge grind (and black epoxy coating coming off slowly)

one thing i forgot to mention in initial description is the grind from 1/4 stock before putting the edge on the blade wasn't done perfectly. there is a crescent swept out on either side of the blade which i am pointing at in these two pics. the crescent on the right side of the blade terminates at the spine about 0.5" farther down than the left side crescent. its really not a problem, just something i noticed. these may be hand ground, leading to differences between blades.

and thats all i have for today. next reply will be once i have the sheath done (need to finish before the weekend for a road trip where i'll be showing it off to my brother ).
Great info and thorough review! I like that you focused on the usability as well as pros and cons! Thanks for posting!
Old 10-09-2012, 09:40 AM

I bought one, a few months back. Well worth the money. I looked a a bunch of different Kukri's. Traditional, and Commercial. I looked into Kukri House, and Cold Steel, and KABAR, Ontario. I almost bought one from Condor Knife and Tool. Not the Machete version. Bang for the buck. The Ontario came in on top. Pro's : Good steel, and Well Tempered, Rubber handle with thong hole. Con's: The Sheath, falls short a little. Though functional. I got it through Amazon.com, free shipping, and only 59.00 dollars. Fair price.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:11 PM

so here is the beginning of the sheath making process:

here's my press with my sv650 motor. i sat on it for extra pressure during the molding process.

and here is the end (almost). i have to get a belt sander or do it by hand to truly be finished with it, but good for now.

so here's the blade securing thingy. push with thumb to the left to let blade out.

then just pull it out

being my first fixed blade sheath and also first time working with kydex, i think i pulled it off rather well. i shall improve as time goes on. i may one day just redo this sheath completely, but i am more than satisfied with it. last thing i need to do is figure out how to carry it. i can strap or get a techloc as i spaced all but one hole 1.5" which is the appropriate distance for techlocs.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to attila. For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,907 Times in 2,942 Posts

attila -- Great job on the sheath!

Here is the catalogue link on Ontario's site:
http://www.ontarioknife.com/catalog/item/319
The Following User Says Thank You to SeekHer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2012, 10:12 PM

Thanks! its my first sheath making experience. it's quite fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekHer View Post
attila -- Great job on the sheath!

Here is the catalogue link on Ontario's site:
http://www.ontarioknife.com/catalog/item/319
Old 10-11-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Thanks! its my first sheath making experience. it's quite fun!
Dude, you deserve to start your own thread for that! Looks great, especially for a first attempt at something.

Start a thread on that! I'm sure it would get more attention, feedback, praise, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. America For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2012, 07:37 AM

i may start another thread on it in the coming days, but i gotta get some real work done first!

i'll be making more sheaths and i guess such a thread could detail the developments in my new-found hobby. good thinking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. America View Post
Dude, you deserve to start your own thread for that! Looks great, especially for a first attempt at something.

Start a thread on that! I'm sure it would get more attention, feedback, praise, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to attila. For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2012, 10:33 AM
Adventurer

Thanked 9,385 Times in 1,283 Posts

At last, a use for a SV 650 Suzuki motor!
Old 10-15-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaqhama View Post
At last, a use for a SV 650 Suzuki motor!
hey now! thats a wonderful little motor. its been good to me until i dropped it hard on the track. oops...

great track bike and great sport tourer.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:08 PM
Cover me, I'm Reloading!!

Quote:
so here is the beginning of the sheath making process:

here's my press with my sv650 motor. i sat on it for extra pressure during the molding process.

and here is the end (almost). i have to get a belt sander or do it by hand to truly be finished with it, but good for now.

so here's the blade securing thingy. push with thumb to the left to let blade out.

then just pull it out

being my first fixed blade sheath and also first time working with kydex, i think i pulled it off rather well. i shall improve as time goes on. i may one day just redo this sheath completely, but i am more than satisfied with it. last thing i need to do is figure out how to carry it. i can strap or get a techloc as i spaced all but one hole 1.5" which is the appropriate distance for techlocs.
congratulations man! That looks very good, I would definitely buy one from you in a heartbeat

I tried doing a kydex sheath for my Gerber LMF II and failed miserably
The Following User Says Thank You to InsaneDOM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2012, 10:00 PM
Adventurer

Thanked 9,385 Times in 1,283 Posts

Quote:
hey now! thats a wonderful little motor. its been good to me until i dropped it hard on the track. oops...

great track bike and great sport tourer.
I like twins the best.

My old BMW 650 twin boxer has 400K on it.

We're partial to Kawasaki's at my place.
Wife's got a Sherpa and I've got the KLR 250
Had dozens of bikes over the years.

I hear good things about the SV motor, although I heard a whisper the later models were manufactured at a Japanese factory in China or Thailand?

Does the V-Strom use the same motor? That's a great all roads tourer.

Love your knife sheath, by the way.

I need to make something like for my Tracker knife.

Cheers: Jaq
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaqhama For This Useful Post: