Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 08-04-2011, 03:37 PM

Default Food storage in desert climate

Advertise Here

I live in Las Vegas. Its very dry but over the summers the temperature consistently hits over 100 degrees for a couple months. In the winters it gets very cold, down to about 30.

I have read that high temperature and drastic temperature change is bad for stored food. However I have also read that dry weather is good for stored food.

I am planning on using 5 gal buckets with mylar bags and O2 absorbers. One chart I saw said that at 90 degrees the shelf life of stored food drops to about 18 months. Would this be true even in a very dry climate? Are their certain foods I should avoid?

Thanks
Old 08-04-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjack View Post
In the winters it gets very cold, down to about 30.
LOL, I thought you said "cold".

Underground storage would be the best bet if you don't have a cool climate-controlled place. I'm in a desert environ too, not *quite* as hot as you (but also a lot colder), but close... my basement stays a pretty cool 55-65 year-round and seems to work pretty well.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,604 Times in 1,275 Posts

MREs will go bye bye. YOu can eat them but nutritional value is gone quickly in that kind of heat. Store them in very cool place. Never carry MRE in your car.

Dry is good for lots of things but temps will kill you. Inside your house in closets, under beds, in pantry. Never in attic or garage or storage shed.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:45 PM

Underground isn't an option, I don't have a basement, and I don't have money to tear up my backyard and put a shelter in... yet.

I can keep it in a closet or in my garage, both of which will be out of the sunlight, but it will heat up.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:12 PM

I'm in Vegas too, so I know what you mean. Yes, dry is really nice for so many things, but the extreme temps make it tough. We have a basement, so I keep temp sensitive items down there. Other than that, anything that I don't want to get destroyed stays in the house and never out in the shed or garage. Unless you never run AC, your house has got to be cool enough, right? How much is your closet heating up?