Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 08-04-2011, 02:01 PM

Default hatchet vs machete

Advertise Here

I'm not asking which I should get. This is different and wouldn't fit on the title line. I read on another thread this comment - "A hatchet is just as essential in some parts of North America as a machete is in South America".

I agree with this totally. What I've been thinking about is I live in Alabama and we have a lot of heavy brush, bamboo, kudzu - all kinds of crap you need a machete for and can't handle with a hatchet and then I can't imagine trying to make it in these woods around here without a hatchet.

Leaves only one conclusion - Sometimes you just need both. Blazing trails and camping are 2 examples of different jobs on the same trip.

Just wanted to here your views.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jsanders420 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2011, 09:45 PM
2Day Never Happened B4

Well, you could certainly take both! You could also pair a machete with a saw and you'd be in good shape as well. I myself living in the great and cold dairyland state could never imagine an outing without a hatchet (especially since I value my axes over a knife in my kit any day). Hatchets are the backbone of my gear, but this is because of where I live and for you it is going to look very different. Try different combos out and see how they work. But whatever you do, don't be that guy who goes out with just a Junglas and thinks he's ready for everything! Be a smart Bushcrafter and build your kit specifically to meet your needs and not a TV-loving survival guy who handicaps himself!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to engle's-wilder For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2011, 09:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsanders420 View Post
I'm not asking which I should get. This is different and wouldn't fit on the title line. I read on another thread this comment - "A hatchet is just as essential in some parts of North America as a machete is in South America".

I agree with this totally. What I've been thinking about is I live in Alabama and we have a lot of heavy brush, bamboo, kudzu - all kinds of crap you need a machete for and can't handle with a hatchet and then I can't imagine trying to make it in these woods around here without a hatchet.

Leaves only one conclusion - Sometimes you just need both. Blazing trails and camping are 2 examples of different jobs on the same trip.

Just wanted to here your views.
k-bar heavy bowie is nice. get the big one.

Last edited by snowie; 08-04-2011 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Old 08-06-2011, 12:06 AM
Prepared

A machete is more versitile, and can do what a small hatchet can so.......machete
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I be he For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2011, 12:23 AM
Answer Is No

In your AO I say get a good machete, in my AO I'll keep my hatchet/mora combo. Your AO dictates your gear.
Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to Turtlewolf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2011, 12:33 AM
...all out of bubble gum

Thanked 1,199 Times in 434 Posts

I DON'T agree that machetes and hatchets are interchangeable. If you have a tree trunk any larger than your forearm (especially hardwood), a machete is not up to the task, its just too thin. On the other hand, bushwhacking isn't for hatchets, its too heavy and narrow. Each serve their own purpose. The closest I have found to an "in-between" is a "Woodman's Pal". its thicker than the machete for chopping wood, and has a wide blade with a hook-like end for bushwhacking. If I could only grab one of those 3 items, in a mad dash, it would probably be the Woodman's Pal. If I had time, I'd pack the hatchet and Woodman's Pal.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kevinthenurse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2011, 12:39 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,994 Times in 4,932 Posts

In Panama I've seen them cut trees thicker than a man's forearm with machetes and we made some stuff with some pretty thick wood. I've also seen them flick and cut a blade of grass with the same machete. It's interesting to see them out in the jungle but also back doing grounds maintenance. They did pruning, edging and other tasks with the machetes.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:10 AM
ruralist

Quote:
Originally Posted by engle's-wilder View Post
You could also pair a machete with a saw and you'd be in good shape as well.
This is my second chete, serrated this time. The other is lost under a sand dune somewhere

I use that with a thick glove for sawing. a real saw is faster but it works. For a while I contracted with a national park to spray invasive plants in what was very thick bushland. Often the team's formation would break up and resort to following the easiest path so I later came with the (first) machete and used it when necessary to keep on track. The obstacles were tall extremely thin trees covered in vines, spaced by as little as a few centermeters. worked a treat but required a massive swing and that can get tiring. Mostly I found it is better to just push them aside or actually climb over it if its that thick. Also worked on a bananna plantation solely cutting down trees with machete. The wood was moist tho and it does not work the same on a fallen down tree trunk for example.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Answer Is No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepping View Post
In Panama I've seen them cut trees thicker than a man's forearm with machetes and we made some stuff with some pretty thick wood. I've also seen them flick and cut a blade of grass with the same machete. It's interesting to see them out in the jungle but also back doing grounds maintenance. They did pruning, edging and other tasks with the machetes.
It seems (just heresay) that even hardwoods in a jungle environment grow fast enough that they aren't realy very hard and a machete should have no issue with them. Now a hardwood in a more temperate climate is very hard and most machetes are not suited to the task of chopping them at all.
Cheers
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Turtlewolf For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2011, 09:50 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,659 Times in 726 Posts

If you can carry them all then, small foldable saws weigh next to nothing, small hatchets are good for bigger items but also turn them over and good for bashing in stakes etc, and the Machete would be far better for clearing a small area for a camp and tent, and the longer blade comes in handy for keeping our fanged friends at a safe distance, that can be Zombies, Vamps, and snakes of course
Old 09-29-2011, 10:32 PM
"Dragons?!" he says...

Tried my Cold Steel Kukri machete ( the largest one ) on a downed tree out of curiosity.
OUCH. No fun at all. Lots of shock and very slow progress.
Awesome for chopping down the thistles in a buddy's field. Not so good for solid wood.
I do believe if I had to chose, it would be a good hatchet.
Forested Middle Tennessee.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,088 Times in 4,519 Posts

This gets asked ALOT. They are two different tools. I am not going to be chopping firewood with a machete.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Survivalguy72 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Levers and wheels

Preface: I agree that your gear should match your AO every day of the week. A fishing pole does little good in the deserts of Nevada.

With that said, I've got a 12" machete from Ontario Knife Co., a hatchet, a camp ax (3/4 length ax), and a 3lb chopping ax. If I could pick 2, it'd be the OKC machete and the camp ax. If just one then the Machete. The reason is I have a heavier, very solid machete which can handle the lighter hatchet-work. I highly recommend the Ontario Knife Co. machete, and unlike previously stated, a hatchet does just fine for firewood when you're not making a bonfire.

I just finished putting a Redwood handle on my machete since the one that comes with it is blisteringly uncomfortable. The quality of your gear makes a big difference. Get something heavy-duty enough to accomplish the task you need it to do, know its limits, and practice using it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hersheygear88 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2011, 10:06 PM
Levers and wheels

"Book of Eli" = machete wins. lol
The Following User Says Thank You to hersheygear88 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2011, 12:18 AM
Keeping my Oath.

well, i think if you choose the correct Machete, you can eliminate the hatchet. That isnt to say that you wouldn't need an axe for jobs bigger than you would want a hatchet for. My personal reccomendation would be a decent 11.5 inch Khukri. The one made by KA-Bar is fantastic. VERY strong and thick, and the Khukri shape and sharp was making cuts deeper than i usually do with a hatchet. i used it many times to cut branches and trees as big as my leg above the knee. ive never used the cold steel one, but the one i handled at the store looked like garbage to me.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:36 AM
Demon of the Midwest

Thanked 6,852 Times in 2,403 Posts

I have both, but the machete is part of my kit before the hatchet. its a good tool and weapon, but I can throw the hatchet better than the machete.
The Following User Says Thank You to TinmanIA For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2011, 03:13 AM
Happy Celtic Warrior

Default I always carry...

I always carry my American Tomahawk Emerson CQC-T:

http://www.americantomahawk.com/products/cqc-t.htm

If I think I'll need a machete, I have one designed by Datu Kelley Worden, made by Ontario Knife Company:

http://davesknifeworld.com/browsepro...w-Sawback.HTML

Frankly, my Emerson CQC-T is a "must" for any ops or scenario I can envision. Add to this my Ontario 9418BM Ranger RD 9 Ready Detachment Knife, Black Micarta, PlainEdge, and I'm edge satisfied:

http://www.osograndeknives.com/Ontar...s/OK9418BM.jpg

I have a few others, but those I won't talk about... Got to have a few aces up my sleeve...

OA, out...
Old 10-02-2011, 09:34 AM
Answer Is No

Quote:
Originally Posted by largewhiteguy View Post
well, i think if you choose the correct Machete, you can eliminate the hatchet. That isnt to say that you wouldn't need an axe for jobs bigger than you would want a hatchet for. My personal reccomendation would be a decent 11.5 inch Khukri. The one made by KA-Bar is fantastic. VERY strong and thick, and the Khukri shape and sharp was making cuts deeper than i usually do with a hatchet. i used it many times to cut branches and trees as big as my leg above the knee. ive never used the cold steel one, but the one i handled at the store looked like garbage to me.
I have the Kabar Khukri as well and find it much more difficult to do detail work than with my Fiskers hatchet. I find the hatchet gives up very little chopping ability to the khukri, is much more versatile in many ways and gives up nothing in ease of use despite what the idiots on Youtube would have you beleive. Long knives are much more "specialized" than a good traditional hatchet/tomahawk, are more dangerous to use and require a lot more skill.
That said I like my Khukri and like machete's that I own but they are specialized tools.
Cheers
Old 11-11-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engle's-wilder View Post
Well, you could certainly take both! You could also pair a machete with a saw and you'd be in good shape as well. I myself living in the great and cold dairyland state could never imagine an outing without a hatchet (especially since I value my axes over a knife in my kit any day). Hatchets are the backbone of my gear, but this is because of where I live and for you it is going to look very different. Try different combos out and see how they work. But whatever you do, don't be that guy who goes out with just a Junglas and thinks he's ready for everything! Be a smart Bushcrafter and build your kit specifically to meet your needs and not a TV-loving survival guy who handicaps himself!
machete jr it is good for cutting down things
Old 11-14-2013, 09:29 PM
swamp rat

I own the large Cold Steel kukri and its junk. Such a bastardized design that it doesn't work as well as a real kukri or as well as a plain machete. It chips a lot, has a lousy grip and the edge retention is crap. Othet than that its great.
My point is Pur1138, that if your only experience with a machete-like tool is that Cold Steel monstrocity, then you have not experienced a machete at all.
As for a real kukri, it gets real heavy swinging away at grasses, small vines and other sub-tropic bush compared to a machete. Not a good jungle tool.