Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 07-28-2011, 08:14 PM
Answer Is No

Default Changing a Mora handle

Advertise Here

I've always liked my Mora knives, specificaly the red painted wood handle model with the half gaurd, and although the handle realy isn't an issue I started thinking recently of the knife that I have actualy used and carried the most in my life.
It is an old OKC Aircrew Survival Knife dated 5/94 on the nutt. It is heavy, not well suited to chopping or most so called bush chores but I love the raw stacked leather handle. The only issue I have ever had with this knife is that it is bloody heavy (ok not ESEE 5 heavy, but still chunky), it has faithfully skinned, cut and chopped everything I have ever given it since early 1995 when I purchased it.
The wieght is actualy what made me recently pull out one of my Moras once again and although I like the wooden handle I couldn't help but think a leather washer handle would be sweet on one of these knives, as well as a custom leather scabbard with fire steel spot and all that.
I already have a leather worker lined up for the scabbard so my question is, has anyone ever changed the handle on a wood handle Mora and if so how/what is the best method?
Thankyou all for your time once more.
Cheers
Old 07-28-2011, 10:23 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 2,804 Times in 1,435 Posts

Might be a bit more than you'd like to do but there's two methods I've used. #1 is for short tangs. Pick up some half inch outside diam stainless tube off of Ebay. I buy/bought it in 7" lengths so I have some to cut off when done. I use wad cutters to cut out the leather disks with half inch holes in the middles, spread some tung oil between the disks and stack them on the steel tube. Use a stout steel screw in each end of the tube, use washers to adjust the crush force, and let the stacked disks dry over night. Once dried, remove the end screws, sock it up in a bench lathe, and turn the leather down to your liking. I like to tung oil the handle heavily at this point. Once done, trim one end of the steel tube so it fits flush to your guard and epoxy it in place on the rat tail tange. For the pommel, I use turned bolts, turn the faces off the bolt head til it's round and sock it down in the tube end. Last step is to use sandpaper on a block and shape the top end so it fits your guard perfectly. Oil, polish, admire your handywork.

The second method is for threaded tangs. Use the same pipe, oil, stack, dry, turn, trim etc. Fill the tube with epoxy at the guard end and stick the tang through the tube. Washers and turned nut on the threaded end. Last step is to file, sand, polish to your liking.

I've used the tube method on a lot of knives. It's easier than having to fit each leather disk to a flat rat tail tang that varies in width over its entire length. Allows me to make several handle blanks at a time and fit them to a knife as I go along.

If you aren't up to the milling of the steel nut pommels etc, you can buy old, trashed knives off Ebay and reuse the hardware. Done that a few times, too.

Hope that helps.

rich
Old 07-28-2011, 11:08 PM
Contego Libertas

Thanked 10,260 Times in 4,038 Posts

Something to keep in mind is the various and sometimes very different tangs on Mora's. Here is an X-Ray of some......

Now I'm NOT trying to discourage you, just trying to let you know what you might be getting into. Actually I hope you do it and are successful and that you do a WIP for this modification.
The Following User Says Thank You to pocomoonskyeyes For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2011, 11:23 PM
Answer Is No

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocomoonskyeyes View Post
Something to keep in mind is the various and sometimes very different tangs on Mora's. Here is an X-Ray of some......

Now I'm NOT trying to discourage you, just trying to let you know what you might be getting into. Actually I hope you do it and are successful and that you do a WIP for this modification.
Oh I am well aware, the old 612's that I use have a full tang right to the end, I am partly just curious if the keeper is crush fit or threaded. I just don't realy want to destroy the wood when I take it off.
Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to Turtlewolf For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2011, 11:25 PM
Closed.

Thanked 26,095 Times in 10,994 Posts

Poco if he's on about the same (red wooden handle) model as mine its a full stick tang and clearly visible, might make it easier.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blackthorn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2011, 11:27 PM
Answer Is No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge View Post
Poco if he's on about the same (red wooden handle) model as mine its a full stick tang and clearly visible, might make it easier.
Yup Smudge, it's a half gaurd model and the tang goes all the way. The 612 model is longer and heavier than the old S1 and has been a favorite of mine for ages.
Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to Turtlewolf For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2011, 11:30 PM
Contego Libertas

Thanked 10,260 Times in 4,038 Posts

Cool! Then I look forward to a WIP hopefully!