Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 07-27-2011, 12:06 AM
Prepared

Default Ruger Blackhawk Convertible Opinions

Advertise Here

Ruger Blackhawk Convertible Opinions? Can handle three ammo types 357. 38, and 9mm. Perfect SHTF setup?
Old 07-27-2011, 01:35 AM
"Everbody has a plan . ."

Thanked 1,242 Times in 540 Posts

Well, of course there's the old saying abour fearing the man with only gun; cause he knows how to use it ! ! !
"Perfect SHTF setup". Well, we've got some pros & some cons with this.
The Ruger is a VERY dependable, rugged, & well made gun that should provide years of service. Ruger revolvers are MASSIVELY overengineered & my old Blackhawk survived being dragged around in the woods for years. Fishing trips, hunting small game or finishing off head shots on larger game if needed, just plain camping trips where you wanted a gun, but not a "gun safe queen" that might come home with some more dings, dents, or a little more cosmetic damage . . . the Blackhawk was a relaible companion.

As I'm sure that most everybody knows, shooting .38 Specials & .357 Magnums out of the same revolver is standard. Any .357 Magnum WILL fire any .38 Special ammunition placed in it. One way street, though & doesn't work with the opposite combination.

A revolver chambered for .38 Special will NOT chamber or fire any .357 Magnum ammo. The case is too long to fit the chamber. So your Blackhawk already isn't doing anything that any other .357 already does too, Firing 9mm ammo in it does require taking out the regular cylinder and replacing it with the one 9mm.

Because of the headspace and rimmed vs, unrimmed cases, you CAN shoot all three calibers out of the same gun, just not without a cylinder change. Which may make it just a little less attractive as a "do it all pistol".

Another issue is that the Blackhawk is single action only . . .i.e. the hammer must be cocked before each shot is fired and then recocked for each individual shot thereafter.

I'm not a spray & pray shooter, so that feature doesn't bother me too much, but it is a factor that each individual must consider if they're gonna go this route.

The late Mel Tappen divided handguns into two distinct catagories. He wrote that semi-autos were better for defense and that revolvers, because of things their ability to utlize different ammo (even shot shells) placed them into the working catagory.

Read ""Survival Guns" by Tappen & then give the Blackhawk a try. Maybe it'll fit all of your needs & maybe not. Please share your experience with all of us, so we can benefit.
To me that's half the fun of preparing . . . testing different gear, concepts, etc. & finding what works best for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to 6471 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2011, 02:49 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,170 Times in 4,315 Posts

I have a 44 mag black hawk, I enjoy very much BUT,
After reading the article "man kills bear in self defence with a a .454 casull" I believe that the better choice is a double action revolver ,not a single .
I like wheel guns because one can load them exactly how theuy are expected to be used .
I lived on the desert ,anticipating rattlers , so the first round was always snake shot . Semi autos do not cycle snake shot rounds .
Second and third, was usually standard medum grade rounds for fallow up .
And the rest were mag level rounds should the job require it .
Semi autos don't generally accept much beyond their standard rounds .
Each weapon has it's level of sacrifice for something and conversly it's advantage as well.
IF 9mm ammo was cheap, I mean a lot cheaper than .38 special is to reload at home , I might actually be tempted to go with a convertable , its one of my own ideas any way,(probibly not the originator)
All I need is an excuse to get another gun .
Old 07-27-2011, 06:12 AM
"It's never over!"

I've always felt that the best survival handgun would be one that can accept multiple cartridges. There was a double action revolver built a while back called The Madusa that claimed to be able to use 38 cal. revolver, and auto cartridges through the same cylinder. Do more research, I think some S&W 357 double actions will accept 9mm moon clips. This will be faster than changing cylinders.

You can actualy use 38 Long Colt, 38 Short Colt, and 38 S&W in a 357 Mag. They are not very common cartridges anymore. But who knows you may run accross them if you are scavenging for ammo.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:20 AM
ill prepared

We do have a firearms forum for these questions.

ETA: http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=173861
Old 07-27-2011, 06:40 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,755 Times in 1,314 Posts

There is no perfect shtf setup but , IMO , the Ruger blackhawk convertable is an excellent choice . It's more important that you like the gun and it fits your needs and less important what everyone else thinks . If you like it , get it ! Practice and get good with it !
If I could afford it I'd get one . I've considered selling my GP100 and getting the Ruger convertable .
Old 07-27-2011, 10:20 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,002 Times in 974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc1 View Post
Ruger Blackhawk Convertible Opinions? Can handle three ammo types 357. 38, and 9mm. Perfect SHTF setup?
I prefer the 45colt/.45acp conversion only because I like bigger holes.