Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Food and water
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 07-24-2011, 01:55 AM
Custom User Title

Default Potted Meat Recipes

Advertise Here

Potted meat is a food product that many people find rather unappealing. Can't say that I blame them as for a time I swore I would never touch the stuff again. I say again because I basically grew up eating it and any time we had an outing and such, potted meat sandwiches were the standard go to food. After years of enduring the potted meat, I got to the point where I would rather eat my shoe then another potted meat sandwich.
Fast forward twenty something years to now and for whatever insane reason, I find myself liking that salty spread again. I guess my discovery of deviled ham was the gateway that led me back to the potted meat. Despite my foresworn oath of abstinence from the potted meat, I find myself once again indulging that forbidden tin of meat byproduct.
So my question is this.... Does anyone have any recipes for the potted meat that does not involve using it as a spread, paste, on bread, cracker, etc.? The tried and true sandwich/cracker method is soooo old and tired that I am looking for something, anything that can change the way we (I) look at the potted meat as a protein source.
The reason I am asking, is I found a sale on the stuff and I picked up 12, 12 can flats. I plan on picking up more to replenish to my meager, yet budding food storage collection and I would like to know if anyone here has some good ways to utilize the stuff other then the usual means.

Thanks,
Swampdaddy
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Swampdaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2011, 03:12 AM
Raider

Thanked 3,103 Times in 1,347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampdaddy View Post
Potted meat is a food product that many people find rather unappealing. Can't say that I blame them as for a time I swore I would never touch the stuff again. I say again because I basically grew up eating it and any time we had an outing and such, potted meat sandwiches were the standard go to food. After years of enduring the potted meat, I got to the point where I would rather eat my shoe then another potted meat sandwich.
Fast forward twenty something years to now and for whatever insane reason, I find myself liking that salty spread again. I guess my discovery of deviled ham was the gateway that led me back to the potted meat. Despite my foresworn oath of abstinence from the potted meat, I find myself once again indulging that forbidden tin of meat byproduct.
So my question is this.... Does anyone have any recipes for the potted meat that does not involve using it as a spread, paste, on bread, cracker, etc.? The tried and true sandwich/cracker method is soooo old and tired that I am looking for something, anything that can change the way we (I) look at the potted meat as a protein source.
The reason I am asking, is I found a sale on the stuff and I picked up 12, 12 can flats. I plan on picking up more to replenish to my meager, yet budding food storage collection and I would like to know if anyone here has some good ways to utilize the stuff other then the usual means.

Thanks,
Swampdaddy
no recipes but for some insane reason i have found myself just like you indulging in it also. must be the chemtrails in my area.
The Following User Says Thank You to spectre68 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2011, 01:37 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 94,928 Times in 31,381 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I can't stand the canned stuff. But real potted meat was a survival staple for many cultures. The meat was cooked thoroughly and packed into a crock while hot. Then boiling fat was poured over the top to seal it away from bacteria. Done right, the meat would last well for a long time. I've seen a few recipes for making it but have never tried it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2011, 01:44 PM
angel waiting

Thanked 5,592 Times in 2,079 Posts

I swore to God I would never touch the stuff unless I absolutely had to but we stock it as a prep so a few months ago we busted open a can. It wasn't a Delmonico steak but it wasn't half bad either. We just fried it up and I put honey mustard on my with our eggs in the morning. While I don't think I will be eating it every day of the week I do find I crave it every once in awhile.
The Following User Says Thank You to tadbitangelny For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2011, 01:48 PM
Political Watchdog

Adding anything to potted meat only makes it better. That stuff is like one step above dog poo!!! I would personally rather eat grass and dirt before that stuff, however, if I run out of dirt and grass I will head your way to trade as I am sure that will be the last food item in your reserves.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:04 AM

Funny I just had some of this yesterday. I was at work and starving so I busted open a can and put it on ritz crackers with tabasco. Was pretty damn good.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Liveitloud For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2011, 08:15 AM
Durkas gonna durk...

Thanked 10,309 Times in 3,777 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

- Google "scrapple" and see what the yankees do with leftover pork meat. Mix cornneal, a few spices, and potted meat and you really got something there.
- I have used potted meat and corn meal to make a polenta of sorts and fry up the potted meat. Tastes better than you might imagine.
- I use it in grits.
- I like it in stews and soups
- I have baked it in a rolled up bisuit sort of like a calzone.
- You can add a boatload of spices and make a pretty good dip for chips and tortillas.
- I like it with eggs, onions and cheese to make a "corned beef".

I like potted meat, but like you I ate too much of it as a kid and kinna avoid it unless required now.

Don't ever ask me to eat spam. Spam is only good for baiting traps and as a target on skeet, pistol, bow, rifle, slingshot, etc. ranges.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cool Hand For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2011, 09:00 AM

So spam sushi would be out of the question for you?

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Liveitloud For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2011, 09:02 AM
Recent Blog:
Semper Fi

Potted meat is worse than eating pre 1968 ( Ham & Lima Beans ) C-Rats! I'll ship u any I run across. Semper Fi
Old 07-25-2011, 09:23 AM
Just the facts, Ma'am.

Thanked 2,648 Times in 1,173 Posts

The first thing that came to mind was Potted Meat Poppers. Get you some large Jalapenos and cut the cap off, gut them out and back fill with potted meat and cream cheese. Don't blend them and fill, rather put the cheese on one side of the inside and the potted meat on the other. Dunk in egg wash, then seasoned flour, back into the wash and finish in panko. Then deep fry those bad boys until medium golden brown. Drain and salt.

Or, how about making Potted Meat Dumplings? That would require experimentation, but I imagine mixing potted meat, flour, egg and seasonings and maybe a 1/2 tsp of baking powder mixed and boiled in broth might work.

How about Potted Meat Ravioli? Make some pasta dough, fill with a potted meat mixture and seal as ravioli or other stuffed pasta. make a cheesy white sauce or your normal Italian gravy for it.

There's a ton of stuff you could do with potted meat if you put your mind to it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Doc Simonson For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2011, 10:39 AM
Durkas gonna durk...

Thanked 10,309 Times in 3,777 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liveitloud View Post
So spam sushi would be out of the question for you?

That looks like it would make good bait to catch some sushi with....
Old 07-25-2011, 10:58 AM

Yeah it does doesn't it.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:37 AM
What Would *I* Do?

Chop it finely, add mashed taters, little bit of butter in the frying pan. Serve with malt vinegar and hot-sauce :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to HeadOnASwivel For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2011, 11:42 AM

I like Spam it just doesn't like me. Eveytime I eat it I can't put my ring on for 2 days. Gotta love that sodium blast.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:53 PM
Grain of sand

Thanked 6,255 Times in 1,829 Posts

My mother-in-law mixes it with some finely chopped onion and miracle whip. I guess I'm not what you would call a picky eater-I love the stuff.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gypsymoonfarm For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2011, 08:30 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,460 Times in 1,741 Posts

Google the recipe, it's easy to find. I've never made it myself, but I do stock it. Hubs likes spam sandwiches, ugh, but I usually use it in eggs or make fried rice with it. I knew a guy a long time ago that made this stuff with potted corned beef and canned green beans. He'd serve that over rice, it was pretty tasty actually.
The Following User Says Thank You to wyldflwr For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2011, 08:35 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,318 Times in 1,724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liveitloud View Post
I like Spam it just doesn't like me. Eveytime I eat it I can't put my ring on for 2 days. Gotta love that sodium blast.
Potted meat is not Spam. Spam is a pretty good breakfast meat, potted meat is scary.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 94,928 Times in 31,381 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelations View Post
Adding anything to potted meat only makes it better. That stuff is like one step above dog poo!!! I would personally rather eat grass and dirt before that stuff, however, if I run out of dirt and grass I will head your way to trade as I am sure that will be the last food item in your reserves.
I think the stuff is nasty too. It's the scraps that nobody else in the meat-byproduct industry will buy. And they have the nerve to price it about the same as steak when you figure price per pound for stuff that they won't even put in hotdogs. Even if I loved it, I wouldn't buy it. I refuse to support something like that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2011, 01:54 PM
Just the facts, Ma'am.

Thanked 2,648 Times in 1,173 Posts

I always thought of potted meat as a poor man's pate. Unfortunately, the price doesn't reflect the fact that it isn't made out of select cuts. Still, it can be used creatively, and you could make it yourself and control what goes into it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Simonson For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2011, 02:01 PM
I love this forum

how about the time.....I fried up a can of "corn beef"...scrambling it into pieces....added it to a jar of "Prego" with a dash extra garlic....served over pasta...all this I put away for the "2000" year millinum debacle....all this done on the back of a boat on the gas grill.....those that got a taste....and more wanted than I had prepared....all declared it quite tastey!!

btw.....this was last fall.....2010....