Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 07-21-2011, 02:16 PM

Default BG Parang

Advertise Here

Ok before i ask i'd like to say im NOT a Gerber fan at all i've broke two gaterback machete and they are junk. i prefer a corn knife ive used one all my life and im confortable with it. I have a Condor Kukri as well i like it but i dont take it on extended trips.... now for the question... has anyone tried the BG parang? if so what do you think about it? this guy put it through a decent workout...http://www.youtube.com/user/mafundza.../1/WUXQ25gvQAg
i was looking at the Condor Parang (mentioned in the video) I like my Condor Kukri so i thought about giving it a try so... Same question^^^^ any feedback would be appreciated
BC
Old 07-21-2011, 07:57 PM
under construction

Thanked 4,110 Times in 1,334 Posts
Default simple solution

your not a Gerber fan.... so dont buy one, pretty basic.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:07 PM

I know where you can get a very, very good Khukuri~
The Following User Says Thank You to TacticalTaco For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2011, 03:13 PM
ERROR_SUCCESS

i just bought one to test and the sheath has 2 snaps. when i undid one of the snaps, the 'female' part remained stuck to the 'male'...the rivet had broken because they didnt compress the snap correctly when they made it...no biggy just put another snap on it but i get the feeling they are cranking these things out in china.

....but so far it chops like crazy...i am not that crazy about the rubber grip as i like to have the parang 'float' in my hand and i think i am going to carve a wooden set. the rubber handles also have a 'guard' at the end to keep your hand from slipping forward and touching the blade but if you cut by rocking the the parang in your hand the guards get in the way.....i guess if you wanted to grip th handle hard and go full force you know your hand wouldnt slip but it is like they are forcing you to hold the parang in only one way.

it also isnt as light as some of the 'real' parangs made by local people in thailand and it is also a bit large by about 20-30%....but for american woods it does work really well as far as brute force chopping.....i like it.
The Following User Says Thank You to 709hannah For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2011, 06:11 PM
Deus exsisto laus

Thanked 6,726 Times in 2,286 Posts

I too am not a Gerber fan. I solved that problem by never buying another Gerber product , or even LOOKING at a Gerber product. TP
Old 07-22-2011, 07:01 PM
Beans, Bullets, Bandaids

Thanked 1,122 Times in 618 Posts

The last good Gerber I had was about 25 years ago, when they used to come in boxes vs. clam packs. The decent reviews I have seen recently for a Gerber product where for the LMF knife.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Hiker

I bought the bg parang, and so far it has been decent. As others have mentioned, I don't like the handle, It is good when chopping hanging vines and branches off trees, but is uncomfortable to me when chopping dry branches that are horizontal. Since it has a full tang I'm planning to make a different handle for it.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:45 PM
Avid Indoorsman

While shopping I noticed that Gerber makes a range of quality. So you get what you pay for but they're capable of making good blades and tools.
The Gator was obviously a low-ender so I never even considered it.

Referring to the video, I don't get the concern for balance in a machete. I'm not going to throw it. Not on purpose anyway.
For a machete I want forward weight. The more that's away from hand, the less force that's coming from me when I impact the target wood or whatever I'm after.

I've watched 5 different demonstrations and every one is somebody wearing their arm out to get through some pretty easy wood.

This one, you can see and hear the poor kid working his tail off cutting a piece wood my Ka-Bar Kukri would gobble up in 4 or 5 shots.

No thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveMc For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2011, 10:19 PM
under construction

Thanked 4,110 Times in 1,334 Posts
Default i love Gerber, but jeeze!

i love Gerber, but jeeze! who ever thought up the idea that making a REVERSE blade of a Kukri would work AT ALL is just beyond me. the kukri works with weight forward and the shearing of the inside elbow of the blade. in my humble opinion, Gerber/ Bear Grylls really humped the bunk on this one. im thinking that , with the angles of the blade from the handle, wouldnt there be a higher risk of wrist injury? Any doctors/physical therapists here that would know?
Old 07-25-2011, 10:48 PM
Hunter

just get an ontario machete. They're as expensive as any other normal machete out there and the army uses them (says a lot about it).

There are plenty good kukri's out there like the ontario one or some hand made ones.

Problem with bear grylls machetes is that you're paying alot for the names on it. Gerber and bear's name.
The Following User Says Thank You to the cow For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2011, 11:21 PM

My friend has the BG parang and he says the opposite of what most say. He likes the rubber handle for when his hand is wet. He said the sheath is poorly designed.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:46 PM
Washington was right....

Thanked 9,976 Times in 3,479 Posts

a bit pricey... but nice..

Old 07-27-2011, 12:13 AM
Answer Is No

My concern is that it is stainless and evidently sold dull, not sure what that little branch was but pretty sure my Tramontina machete or Kabar Khukri would have chopped through in about 3 swings. A large peice of Chinese stainless to me makes me think it could chip pretty badly or even break if used hard.
Cheers