Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Pistol and Revolver Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 07-19-2011, 11:29 PM
Anti-Communist

Default Serious question about best ladies gun

Advertise Here

I have a serious question about what is the best first gun for a woman and why?

I had been trying to get my mother involved with guns for protection for quite a long time and I have finally convinced her. It came down to her brother being robbed at his vacation house in Florida at gunpoint. Had a loaded shotgun pointed at his head, lived to tell the tale. Anyway this was enough to convince her. She has always had an aversion to guns because whe had never been around them all her life.

She has fired a glock 19 (comfortable) and a 26. She has also handled full size revolvers but cant get over the trigger pull. She has a hard time pulling back the slide on a lot of semi's. It seems we may have found something she can use. S&W 442 ultralights seem to have a lighter trigger, but I dont know if that is just the one I picked up or if that is typical. Anyone who has more experience with revolvers or semi's that can help with this aspect?

She was dead-set on the glock until a long-time friend who is also a prison firearms training instructor says he doesn't recommend a glock based on his own testing they did there at the prison. He says Sigs and the S&W M and P were the only guns to pass the test for reliability. The glock failed.

From my own research all I hear is praises of Glock reliability but dont know whether what he said could be accurate or not. He is a licensed gunsmith and firearms instructor outside the prison as well. I just dont know what direction to steer her towards. Her brother-in-law is an army vet and he swears by revolvers for their reliability.

To clarify:What gun is best for a woman who cant pull a strong trigger and cant rack the slide of most guns effectively?

Is the Glock reliability thing true in relation to sigs?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,938 Times in 1,686 Posts

Find a basic handgun class that is taught by a woman (if possible) for your mother to attend. Most indoor shooting ranges will have such a class or can recommend a good instructor.

A good class will have classroom instruction and range shooting instruction. The range portion should have a couple different pistols for the attendies to try.

There are 2 ways to work the slide on a semi auto pistol. One is to grasp the pistol firmly and pull back on the slide.
That method is usually difficult for women.

The other way is to grasp the slide and use the strong hand - arm to push the frame forward like a punch or jab. This method makes manipluting the slide easier for women.

Most women look at small guns to buy because they look cute and can fit easier in their purse. Small guns have more recoil are more difficult to shoot accurately without lots of practice.

Have mom take the class and try some full size guns.

I worked part time at a gun shop range for 5 years. We had a tinny asian lady that would come in once a week and rent our Stainless Kimber 45. She had taken our basic pistol class that was taught by the owner's wife and shot really well with the full size rental Kimber.

I have taught many a person to shoot my Colt Series 70 45 acp 1911. Even taught my friend's 55 year mother to shoot my Colt. She had never handled a firearm. After some hands on instruction, including safe firearms handling, breath control, sight picture, trigger control, stance, & grip she was shooting some really tight groups at 21 feet.

I find the 45 acp out of a full size steel 1911 has a gentle push to its recoil.

You might also look into a 22 pistol. Either full or midsize for her. The slides on the S&W semi 22lrs are really easy to manipulate.
The Following User Says Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2011, 01:05 AM

My mother who is in her mid 70s and lives in the secluded mountains of northern Arizona with my father also in his mid 70s , keeps a loaded Ruger 10-22 with a steel lips Butler Creek 25 round mag. loaded with Cci stingers within reach . She also keeps a S&W model 64 loaded with Cor-Bon +Ps handy while out and about on the property . She has arthritic hands and back and that is what works for her . Where I work 75% or more of the employees carry a Glock , not because they are cheaper than a lot of pistols its because after wearing it every day , all day , in all types of brutal conditions , they work its as simple as that .
The Following User Says Thank You to mrbeer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2011, 01:40 AM
coffee enthusiast

I think that the best firearm for a first timer or a woman with little experience is a revolver. Have her look at 38s. Smith and Wesson and Taurus are good places to start, and Smith and Wesson has a full line of weapons marketed for women. These are lighter, with a lighter trigger pull to assist a female shooter.

Automatics require a bit of training and practice to effectively clear jams, misfeeds, and stovepipes. In a life threatening situation, seconds can mean life and death. A revolver is easy to load/unload, and if you pull the trigger and it goes "click" instead of "boom" you just pull the trigger again and it rolls to the next one. A revolver can also be employed from within a coat pocket, whereas, it is likely that an autoloader would jam/malfunction as the slide actioned inside a coat pocket, etc. Just some food for thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to perdurabo7 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2011, 01:59 AM
Maximus

Thanked 13,588 Times in 6,078 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedchicken View Post
... S&W 442 ultralights seem to have a lighter trigger, but I dont know if that is just the one I picked up or if that is typical. Anyone who has more experience with revolvers or semi's that can help with this aspect?...
Smith and Wesson has a great trigger. But the 442 and other lightweights have a TON of recoil. I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner shooter.

If you like that trigger though, look at Smith and Wesson K frames. They have great triggers also. Old Model 64, 65 Model 66 or 67 etc. WONDERFUL triggers. Newer models 686 and such have good triggers also.

Another suggestion is to take it to a pro gunsmith and have the springs lightened and get a trigger job. That will also make it easier for the trigger pull.

My recommendation is a revolver. The reasons are:
  • She has a hard time racking the slide of a semi. Yes, I believe anyone can train enough to do this effectively, but will she put in the needed training?
  • There are a lot more complex moves to a semi-auto. Loading, unloading, safety, racking etc etc. Again, is she comfortable with the training and upkeep that entails.

If she decides to put the training in, then I would go for a semi-auto. But be honest and realistic. Do you think she will do that? Keep it simple for your mom until she gets more comfortable. Then if she is willing to put in the work, get her a semi-auto.

My vote is for a Smith and Wesson K-frame in .38 or .357 Get a lightened trigger pull and trigger job. Get some training and maybe some laser sights.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,082 Times in 4,084 Posts

I've read that Glock failed the "Frisbee" test for the FBI. Apparently they threw it like a Frisbee and the slide separated from the frame. This test is irrelevant too me. I own a couple Glocks and have been very happy with them.

I bought my daughter a Ruger LCR. IMO the trigger is manageable, maybe take her to a gun store and have her pull the trigger to test it.

The things I like about the revolver are reliability, ease of carry, and it's very simple operating features.

The only downside I see to the LCR is due to the fact that it so light, the recoil is bit stout. However I doubt that it would be noticed in a defensive situation.

Good Luck
Old 07-20-2011, 03:23 PM
American fearmaker

Thanked 19,876 Times in 6,756 Posts

The glock failed. Glock failed a state prison test? Which test was that? The one involving kickbacks to state officials? Glocks don't normally fail tests. I presently own 3 Glock pistols and plan to get at least 2 more. Glocks are reliable and practical. For a Glock to fail a test, the test has to be deliberately rigged against the Glock pistols.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:12 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,183 Times in 682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herd Sniper View Post
The glock failed. Glock failed a state prison test? Which test was that? The one involving kickbacks to state officials? Glocks don't normally fail tests. I presently own 3 Glock pistols and plan to get at least 2 more. Glocks are reliable and practical. For a Glock to fail a test, the test has to be deliberately rigged against the Glock pistols.
Yes it failed the FBI test. Now let me point this out because your a glock-o-phile but you know I do agree with you on stuff. I really am beginning to believe you know nothing about the history of your glock hows built etc.

The Frisbee test was done 10+ years ago and it made the glock fail and AD when tossed like a Frisbee, glock did a huge recall, along with its box of other failures it had which is natural for any gun.

It also was banned by California State police for a while due to manufacuters defect for a time, I happen to have a defect that glock fixed. Also the 4th Gens have been kinda ehhh.

Now most 3rd gen Glocks are decent so if you get a glock and like them look for 3G not 4G. Do some history searching please.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,778 Times in 1,304 Posts

I own 3 Glocks I carry a 17 in uniform and carry my 19 for E.P. work and never had a problem with none of them, if a Glock 19 feels good to your mother than she should buy it, and if the trigger pull is too tight on a revolver than have a trigger job done to whatever revolver she likes. I personally would get her a .357 and load it with .38's to begin with and then graduate to .357. Hope this helps, good luck.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:56 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 7,499 Times in 3,975 Posts
Default A friend of mine bought the S&W ultra lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedchicken View Post
I have a serious question about what is the best first gun for a woman and why?

I had been trying to get my mother involved with guns for protection for quite a long time and I have finally convinced her. It came down to her brother being robbed at his vacation house in Florida at gunpoint. Had a loaded shotgun pointed at his head, lived to tell the tale. Anyway this was enough to convince her. She has always had an aversion to guns because whe had never been around them all her life.

She has fired a glock 19 (comfortable) and a 26. She has also handled full size revolvers but cant get over the trigger pull. She has a hard time pulling back the slide on a lot of semi's. It seems we may have found something she can use. S&W 442 ultralights seem to have a lighter trigger, but I dont know if that is just the one I picked up or if that is typical. Anyone who has more experience with revolvers or semi's that can help with this aspect?

She was dead-set on the glock until a long-time friend who is also a prison firearms training instructor says he doesn't recommend a glock based on his own testing they did there at the prison. He says Sigs and the S&W M and P were the only guns to pass the test for reliability. The glock failed.

From my own research all I hear is praises of Glock reliability but dont know whether what he said could be accurate or not. He is a licensed gunsmith and firearms instructor outside the prison as well. I just dont know what direction to steer her towards. Her brother-in-law is an army vet and he swears by revolvers for their reliability.

To clarify:What gun is best for a woman who cant pull a strong trigger and cant rack the slide of most guns effectively?

Is the Glock reliability thing true in relation to sigs?

Any help would be much appreciated.
After spending some time at the range both our hands hurt , and I'm no wimp.
After firing my ruger security 6- .357 mag she bought one, not 15 muinest later.
(not mine )
The feather weight is strictly for CC not for training or fun shooting . It will turn a new be away.
What you might look into is a semi auto with Pera belum , a hammered semiauto ,so that wit one in the pipe ,all one needs is to draw the hammer back on the first round and the slide takes care of the rest . Beretta makes some nice guns this way .
I happen to have a .22 mod 21 A , nice little gun and a strait shooter.
A lever on the side snaps the barrel up to load or unload with out using the slide .not that it's hard but usually I'd load snake shot in the pipe as the first round ,while living on the desert. I'd have to work the slide because tha snake shot has too little kenitic energy to cycle the slide . it didn't need mini mags , just regular long rifle ammo . having a second mag is handy as well.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:58 AM

In my opinion you should stick with a semi-auto. Pick a Glock, do a $20 3.5# trigger job and add a tactical racker to help pull the slide (Hatfields Gunsmithing sells a great one).
Old 07-21-2011, 12:40 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 91,188 Times in 30,514 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

That post outta get the Glock fanboys all hot and bothered! I love it!

As for the "best" there is no such thing. One person's best can be another person's worst. Whatever she shoots best with is the best for her. You mentioned her having trouble with some revolver's trigger pull. That can be lightened on many models. If she is more comfortable with a revolver, it might be something to look into.

As for manipulating a pistol slide, Try having her change her technique. Instead of trying to pull it "back". Have her grip the slide overhand, hands facing each other. Then push the hands together. It's much easier to rack a slide that way. My own mother began having trouble racking the slide as she got older, and this technique worked well for her for years. Ultimately, she still ended up going with a revolver that I lightened the trigger pull on. But it's worth a try if she's not already doing it that way and having problems with that method too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,305 Times in 822 Posts

Smith and Wesson Lady Smith J frame... my first wife loved it. 38+P loads and a trigger pull she could easily manage.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:54 AM

My recommendation is a S&W model 60, 3" loaded with .38+P's, for these reasons;

1) Quality, dependable brand
2) All-steel construction will absorb some recoil
3) Sufficient caliber with moderate recoil
4) Simplicity of operation
5) Smooth, consistant trigger
6) Enough, but not too much barrel

She won't practice enough with a gun that is unpleasant to shoot, and won't have the confidence in herself or the gun that could be the life saving difference.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:11 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 9,061 Times in 4,508 Posts

Excuse me for interrupting the Glock convention. Try getting her a SW .32. Easy trigger pull. Easy to shoot. You could also go Tomcat in auto. Nice tip up barrel.

Your Glockophilia may continue. Just make sure to mop up on the way out lol.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:19 PM
"Fly birdies! fly!"

Thanked 18,642 Times in 6,274 Posts

This is a VERY simple answer...

...depends on the woman.

If she can fire the weapon, put the round where she wants, and has fun (practices a lot) then THAT is the weapon for her.

You can read reviews and listen to people to give you advice, but then you must actually " just do it" to see what you like (Or what she likes)

If she likes the G19, shoots it well and will practice - BAM that's your answer.

Many people say no on glock's because they lack an external safety switch.

My opinion: The chant is: "FINGER FIRES THE WEAPON" Just make sure she fully understands that. Cheers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grevlin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2011, 05:35 PM
Tough Chick

Thanked 3,324 Times in 1,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grevlin View Post
This is a VERY simple answer...

...depends on the woman.

If she can fire the weapon, put the round where she wants, and has fun (practices a lot) then THAT is the weapon for her.

Exactly this. No one else's opinion matters except the person who will be using the weapon. It doesn't make a bit of difference if every woman on the planet likes it. Have her take a class and test out several at a range where she can rent and choose what works for her and what she feels comfortable with. No other opinion matters.
The Following User Says Thank You to oktx For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2011, 09:36 PM

Does the Ruger get no love here? I have the LCR revolver, very lightweight. I opt for a revolver b/c I don't want to be in a situation & my auto jam. I was at a shooting range when this did happen to me. It was a new S&W 380. I still have love for it, but for me, being a woman, I want to be sure that doesn't happen in a dire situation. Plus, no casings left behind!(just kidding.) not really.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:07 PM
This site sucks

Thanked 2,071 Times in 825 Posts

After shooting a few, including my .40 Glock my wife went with a Walther PK .380. She had a hard time racking the slide on most of the others we tried.

NO, it was not my first choice for her but she likes it, she shoots it well and she is comfortable with it.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:21 AM
Super Saiyan Survivalist

Thanked 3,570 Times in 1,489 Posts

My suggestion is to get her what she wants.

If she wants a Glock, get her a Glock.

New pistol owners can give a crumb less what operator uses what. And if she likes it, she will shoot it more.

Only her opinion counts on this decision - that is the truth.