Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival > Vehicles & Transportation
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 07-18-2011, 07:16 PM
Hunter

Default M1009 cucv

Advertise Here

Hey,
Does anyone on here own one of the 80s military Chevy K5 blazers? I've been considering buying one because of how many low miles they have and the price $2000-3500 in my area with less than 100,000 miles. Lift kits are cheap, dana 44 solid axle, diesel, etc. Seems like a good weekend/BOV truck.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brettboat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Hunter

From what I hear, they are slow(4.56 gearing) and loud, but are pretty solid machines. Kind of like a 4WD brick on wheels. Lots of aftermarket stuff for them.
The Following User Says Thank You to talon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 07:26 PM
Prepared

Default M1009 cucv

I own a 1986 M1009. I use it as a daily driver and with the 6.2 diesel it gets good MPG. I priced lift kits the other day and most were around 600 to 700 which is cheap. The M1009 comes with chevy 10 bolt axles.

You need to remember though that if you get the military M1009 it does not have a radio or a/c. But I still love mine. If you want more info go to www.steelsoldiers.com and just search the forum.
The Following User Says Thank You to spacelarry For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Hiker

And they operate on a 24V electrical system.

-Nate
The Following User Says Thank You to redranger1 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 07:33 PM
Prepared

Default M1009 cucv

They are loud machines but you can quiet them down with some hood insulation. They are not fast but they will do 65 as for the gearing the M1009 is a 3.08 gear ratio the M1008 has a gear ratio of 4.56.

The electrical system is 24v but only really the starting system everything else is 12v. Plus their or slot in the fuse box if you want to add stuff.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spacelarry For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 08:22 PM

Had an M1009 CUCV military blazer back in the 1990s. The truck was low mileage with something like 28K on the odometer. Owned that thing for more than a year and in that time, it was only operational for about three weeks. Without doubt that Chevy M1009 was the most unreliable and worst piece of total junk that I've ever owned. It is the only vintage or military vehicle that I've lost money on.

Things were always breaking off and failing apart on that blazer. By design, the stock drive shaft is too light and too short and unbalanced causing the high torque diesel engine to destroy U-joints on a regular basis. Needed to have a heavy duty custom drive shaft made. The mixed 12/24 volt DC electrical system is another nightmare. One time a relay stuck and the starter refused to shutdown even with the ignition switched off. By the time I could get a wrench and disconnect the battery, the top wiring harness was cooked along with most of the relays. That cost a pile of money to have a new harness custom fabricated and installed. A common problem with those is that the 6.2 diesel shakes the drive train to pieces. Being a typical shoddy quality 1980s General Motors product, a bolt on the flywheel fell out and destroyed it by chipping off teeth. Was told that it was a common problem with those. Oh gee . . . that made me feel better. Went through two fuel injector pumps that failed. It went on and on and on with that vehicle. That CUCV cost me a bundle and I gave up trying to straighten it out and dumped that albatross for cheap bucks to the first sucker that came along.

About that time I bumped into an old friend who was a well known New England military vehicle collector and dealer. We'd previously bought, sold and swapped a number of military vehicle including M37 trucks and assorted military jeeps. This guy knew his army trucks! Asked him about the M1009 CUCV that I'd seen him driving a couple of months before. Seemed that I pushed the right button as he started ranting about it being worst vehicle he'd ever owned. He said that parts like the tailgate crank and apparatus just fell apart in his hands and the window crashed into the pocket. Mine did too so I went to a junk yard and got a civvy power tailgate. Seemed that this guy got rid of his M1009 about the same time I did mine. Nobody that I knew liked their CUCV Blazers or kept them all that long.

Do yourself a favor and buy something else . . .anything else. With that said, should some unfortunate soul acquire an M1009, I still have a radio mount platform (used with RT524/R442) with support legs and fits along the side wall next to the rear seat. It's out in the garage here knocking around someplace . . .

Will see if I can find a photo of that M1009 and post it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mugwump For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 08:32 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelarry View Post
They are loud machines but you can quiet them down with some hood insulation. They are not fast but they will do 65 as for the gearing the M1009 is a 3.08 gear ratio the M1008 has a gear ratio of 4.56.

The electrical system is 24v but only really the starting system everything else is 12v. Plus their or slot in the fuse box if you want to add stuff.
If I get one I'd probly convert it over to an all 12 volt system using the starter off a normal civi 6.2. From what I've read EVERYTHING except the starter is 12 volts, everything is ran through a reducer of some kind. Seems easy enough. I'd just life to be able to draw directly off the batterys for things like offroad lights, a stereo (i gotta have music on long drives alone ), etc.

I think the lift kits are cheap because it's a simple suspension system. A whole kit is doing but some new U-bolts, a few small bushings, new leaf springs and shocks... Easy enough, that's only like 4 hours of work if you got a friend or two with you and have no idea what you're doing.

And y'all are right, they do have 10 bolt axles. They look nearly exactly the same, so that's my mistake. Relatively speaking they're about the same strength wise so I probly wont be going over a 35 inch tire because of it.

I'd be fine to not riding with AC, that really doesnt bother me. I hardly ever drive with it on anyways. Might be a problem when its raining in the summer and the window steams up. But that's something I can deal with.

I'll be tottaly honest, I feel kinda like a whore for wanting to get a Chevy. I'm a Ford man and I've always been a Ford man but considering the cost to do something like a Cummins diesel swap on my truck, swaping to a solid axle, custom lift kit... Just a pain.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brettboat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 09:56 PM
avoidance & deterrence

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,064 Posts

I used to own one and I loved it! But the engine seized and was like $6000 to replace so I junked it. This is not unusual. The Army does engine oil analysis and sells them when Babbitt metal from the bearings show up in the oil predicting an on comming failure. Your best bet is to get 2, one for a runner and the other for parts.
The Following User Says Thank You to George Newbill For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 10:05 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Newbill View Post
I used to own one and I loved it! But the engine seized and was like $6000 to replace so I junked it. This is not unusual. The Army does engine oil analysis and sells them when Babbitt metal from the bearings show up in the oil predicting an on comming failure. Your best bet is to get 2, one for a runner and the other for parts.
$6000? Sounds like someone tried to rip you a new one. I can get them for $2000 tottaly rebuilt all day long.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:16 AM
Learning

Thanked 3,621 Times in 1,862 Posts

I rebuilt a 6.2 myself for $1,500...pistons, rings, machine work, crank kit, etc. Now to do the entire swap & rebuild I wouldn't doubt a shop would quote you $6,000. I did the swap & rebuild myself for about $3,000 and that was into a 98 suburban with 100 times more electrical stuff that a cucv (that included, many new parts, rebuilt IP, new intake manifold...mine was cracked, etc.). For $6,000 you could have put a Cummins in there.

It is unfortunate that mudgump had some many issues with his m1009...but that is the thing, especially if you purchase an item directly from the DRMO. It is a crap shoot, you never know what you will get. If you purchase them from a private individual you get to test drive them, etc.

I've driven one, it will go 85 mph. They are loud, but simply cleaning and painting the undercarriage (including wheel wells) with a product like chassis saver and then putting truck bed liner over that would quiet it down immensely.

Sometimes you can search around for a civilian diesel blazer from the same era and it will be cheaper! Then get a military grille guard and paint it up like a cucv.

They are sweet trucks and I would have one, but I alreayd have a m35a2, m818 and a 1998 diesel suburban (I know where 1 is for sale right now, but the wife would shoot me!)
The Following User Says Thank You to Preacherboy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2011, 04:06 PM
Hunter

Now I'm somewhat on the fence about getting one. I guess if I do and the 6.2 is is a pain in the ass I'll just do a 6BT Cummins swap and call it a day, they're cheap these days.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:51 AM
Learning

A 6.2 isn't a pain, they can be had for $200...you just have to look around. I didn't have time to search. A friend just sold his perfect 6.2 engine for $1,600 to a guy rebuilding a hmmwv...

6bt Cummins can be had for around $2,500 and you'll usually get a whole truck with it! There is nothing wrong with either engine, I thought I would go with a Cummins in my sub, but someday it will get the 6.5 AMG block with 18:1 compression, built at Peninsular diesel. Hopefully, my current engine lasts a good 250,000 miles though.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:26 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,367 Times in 2,006 Posts

You want to settle your mind about getting one just watch the many You tube videos where people are having a blast with them. Also you can get all the technical manuals (TM's) off steel soldiers for maintenance. Top speed of 80mph, less if you lift it and put on bigger tires. I personally would lift it and change its center of gravity, I would just throw on some 33 inch tires and be done with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to paramilusmc For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2011, 11:05 AM
Prepared

I like the M1008 if you can get a pickup truck. then you get the 4.56 gears, 14 bolt rear axle, and a Dana 60 front. the truck will easily hold 3000lbs in the bed(1 1/4 ton while off road), plus weight behind it.

with the m1009, you get more passenger capacity and comfort, but sacrifice load capacity and strength.

both are going to be easy to work on, the 24v system is not to bad. pulled the rear drums on a m1008 a couple days ago, it was really easy, just be ready to buy a few special tools. 14 bolt hub nut socket, and a dana hub nut socket. need to pull the hubs to remove the brakes.
The Following User Says Thank You to LandOLakeS For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2011, 09:06 PM
Prepared

Default M1009 cucv

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandOLakeS View Post
I like the M1008 if you can get a pickup truck. then you get the 4.56 gears, 14 bolt rear axle, and a Dana 60 front. the truck will easily hold 3000lbs in the bed(1 1/4 ton while off road), plus weight behind it.
I also love the fact that the M1008 comes with a 14 bolt rear and Dana 60 front. The gearing not a fan of but could deal with. For that reason I am looking to upgrade my axles.

As for rebuilding the engine on a 6.2 diesel it doesn't cost anymore then any other engine. In fact you get engines cheap online.

But I will say this if you get one ex military vehicle you will want more I know I do.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:26 PM
Philosoprepper

Thanked 5,407 Times in 1,724 Posts

I might have a key laying around if you need an extra; they were all keyed the same
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChapNelson For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2011, 10:01 PM
One of the Good Guys

I have one and dig it. I don't do any heavy offroading with it, just mainly for hunting. Haven't had any troubles with it and got it with 100k miles on it. Mine came out of Arizona so rust was miniscule. Got all the tech manuals off of steelsoldiers.com as others mentioned. I don't regret it...yet hehe
The Following User Says Thank You to bdc For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2011, 06:45 PM
Prepared

Default M1009 cucv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChapNelson View Post
I might have a key laying around if you need an extra; they were all keyed the same
That is true why I went and replaced my cylinder ASAP.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:14 PM
Learning

My friend has a m1008 with the 4.56 gears, he just re-geared to 3.73 and got 24 miles per gallon. He also used to have a m1031 and regeared it to 3.07 with a 6bt Cummins and he got 35 miles per gallon! Yes, believe it, 35 mpg!! He sold the truck for $20,000 and the guy drives it everyday...if the oil companies knew they'd probably hire someone to smash into it and total it.

With 4.56 gears your top speed with stock tires is about 55, the 3.08 gears in the m1009 will allow it to go 85 easy.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:49 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacherboy View Post
With 4.56 gears your top speed with stock tires is about 55, the 3.08 gears in the m1009 will allow it to go 85 easy.
The M1009 came with 3.08 gears. As for doing 85 it is not likely due to the transmission.