Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 07-18-2011, 05:00 PM

Default New AR Upper, Colt, DD, LMT, Palmetto State Armory or BCM

Advertise Here

Well, I've been trying to decide on what upper receiver to get for a new build I'm doing. I was planning on getting a BCM Midlength 16" upper. I can't see any advantage to going with Colt, DD or LMT over BCM. BCM seems to be as good as these other brands but at a lower cost. Other people's feedback seems to back this up as well. Anyone recommend something other than BCM? Why?

Something else I came across is Palmetto State Armory (PSA). They offer a midlength upper with a 16" stainless steel wylde barrel for a little over 400. According to their specs, they do all the same stuff that the Tier 1 manufacturers do and its even cheaper than BCM. My only hesitation is that I don't know much about the company. I plan on calling them in the morning but I wanted to see what others thought first.

I have about 550 to spend on an upper. Right now I'm leaning towards the PSA upper. It's a great deal, its a wylde 1/8 twist SS barrel which seems to be a great concept.

I always get nervous before making a large purchase like this so constructive opinions would be greatly appreciated. If getting the PSA upper I described would not be the best choice, please tell me so and tell me why.

Thanks in advance for the help.

LR
The Following User Says Thank You to Lone Ranger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Prepared

Well let me put on my flame resistant suit for what this thread will probably turn into before I answer.

I bought a BCM middy light weight a couple of months ago. I'm happy with it. It did cost a bit more than I wanted to spend but I didn't feel like waiting around for the regular light weight barrels to be in stock. The cold hammer forged barrel was in stock the regular one was not, cost was a bit more but having one in hand meant more to me than the extra cost.

I've never ordered from PSA, but can't remember hearing anything bad about them either. When you call them ask who makes the barrels for them or if they make their own ask who supplied the barrel blank. Then research the maker of the barrel/blank to see if they have a good reputation.

hth
The Following User Says Thank You to spcinc For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcinc View Post
Well let me put on my flame resistant suit for what this thread will probably turn into before I answer.

I bought a BCM middy light weight a couple of months ago. I'm happy with it. It did cost a bit more than I wanted to spend but I didn't feel like waiting around for the regular light weight barrels to be in stock. The cold hammer forged barrel was in stock the regular one was not, cost was a bit more but having one in hand meant more to me than the extra cost.

I've never ordered from PSA, but can't remember hearing anything bad about them either. When you call them ask who makes the barrels for them or if they make their own ask who supplied the barrel blank. Then research the maker of the barrel/blank to see if they have a good reputation.

hth
I appreciate your thoughts. Yeah, I'm hoping this doesn't turn into a battle over "Tiers" of ARs, I just really want to hear some honest and experience based feedback on these brands and who is better and why. I really want the PSA but I haven't heard a lot of people say they've put them through hell and were impressed so I'm kinda hoping for some feedback along those lines.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:20 PM
I sell US Military MRE's

Thanked 6,064 Times in 2,458 Posts

As I mentioned in your other post about PSA... their cold forged barrels are made by FN. One of the two suppliers to the US Military (FN and Colt). Same top specs as the others but a better deal. It is over $100 cheaper than the exact same Spikes upgraded upper (with same FN barrel).
Old 07-19-2011, 12:17 AM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 2,967 Times in 1,685 Posts

BCM and Wilson makes a good barrel for decent money.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:51 AM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 6,984 Times in 3,331 Posts

Personally I would rather have a Chrome lined Moly barrel than Stainless. Forget the Wyle chamber marketing hype and stick with a standard 5.56 chamber.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeffrey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2011, 11:12 AM

Ok, I went ahead and ordered the PSA. I talked to them on the phone before I ordered. The upper weighs 5lbs with a 16" SS 223 wylde barrel. Wilson makes the barrel so....again, I can't believe they are selling this for 530 with the BCG. It looks like as good a product as BCM but for a couple hundred bucks cheaper. Time will tell.... I had to give them a shot though. When they said Wilson makes their SS barrels that sealed the deal for me. I will post pictures when I get this upper and give a range report to let others know how it does (initially). Just an fyi, their CHF barrels are made by FN so it looks like they spare no expense when it comes to the barrels.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Prepared

BCM all the way....

- Clint
Old 07-19-2011, 01:54 PM
I sell US Military MRE's

Glad things worked out for you. Nice to feel good about getting a deal. PSA is a good place to buy ammo aswell.
The Following User Says Thank You to NHP1127 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2011, 07:59 PM
Prepared in NH

Thanked 3,608 Times in 1,982 Posts

Definitely interested in hearing about the PSA upper.

Please keep us in the loop on your experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to NHCraigT For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2011, 08:44 PM
Dirty or clean.Wet or dry

Thanked 1,870 Times in 858 Posts

I'm interested in the $399 4140 upper as a beater upper for the range.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:56 PM

Ok, I got the upper, PSA has been GREAT. Their customer service so far is excellent. I had an issue with UPS (go figure) and PSA bent over backwards to make sure that the UPS issues were all remedied. I have taken the PSA upper out to the range twice now on my S&W lower. I am in the process of buying parts for the lower half of the rifle and collecting average samples of 100m shot groups. I will post some pictures and give a full review once i have a decent amount of data collected. I will say right now though that this is the nicest upper half that I have ever shot! More to follow in the next week or two.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:12 PM
I sell US Military MRE's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
Ok, I got the upper, PSA has been GREAT. Their customer service so far is excellent. I had an issue with UPS (go figure) and PSA bent over backwards to make sure that the UPS issues were all remedied. I have taken the PSA upper out to the range twice now on my S&W lower. I am in the process of buying parts for the lower half of the rifle and collecting average samples of 100m shot groups. I will post some pictures and give a full review once i have a decent amount of data collected. I will say right now though that this is the nicest upper half that I have ever shot! More to follow in the next week or two.
Right on! It is amazing how much I've been seeing threads on all the different forums on this upper. Best deal around IMHO.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:11 PM
Have gun,will travel

Thanked 6,710 Times in 2,635 Posts

Just got my Palmetto the other day. So far I'm very impressed with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to *Paladin* For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Paladin* View Post
Just got my Palmetto the other day. So far I'm very impressed with it.
I feel the same way about mine so far
Old 08-06-2011, 11:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,067 Times in 4,956 Posts

I can confirm that my Colt Upper does not fit on the RRA complete lower...I plan on RRA with RRA but I wanted to test it.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:37 PM
Dirty or clean.Wet or dry

Thanked 1,870 Times in 858 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepping View Post
I can confirm that my Colt Upper does not fit on the RRA complete lower...I plan on RRA with RRA but I wanted to test it.
What's the issue?
Old 10-21-2011, 12:47 PM

Default LMT upper

I bought my LMT upper for $430 at Tacticalsight.com. Assuming you want an upper that is milspec like harder barrel steel, chrome lining,5.56 chamber,m4 feed ramps, etc. it narrows the gap some but LMT uppers get high marks. Before I bought my LMT I was talking to a Ranger friend of mine and I asked him if he had a Colt M4 and he said no, everyone in his unit had an LMT. I just always assumed everyone had a Colt M4 in the army.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Prepared

CMMG Also makes quality uppers and completes. Never had any issues when i had mine.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:31 PM
Hiker

I drove over to Palmetto Armory a few months ago and picked up most of the stuff to build an M4gery. I got a lower, upper and BCG. I noticed the lower has the keyhole forge mark on the right side of the mag well. Some Colt M4's have the same forge mark in the same place. That alone is enough to tell me the quality is there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chili For This Useful Post: