Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 07-17-2011, 08:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,746 Times in 1,788 Posts
Default How to seal a tire bead that won't seal

Advertise Here

I lend out my rototiller to a number of people each year and none of them seem capable of adding air to a low tire.

As a result they have destroyed both of my tubes, I did not want to buy more tubes so I just set them up without tubes, I could not get the tires to contact the seat and air up even with 100 psi so I used grocery bags stuffed in beside the rim and tire, it was just enough to get them seated.

This is a handy and simple way to seat a problem tire in an emergency .... or cheap.... situation....

Hope this is helpfull to someone... sure was to me... not pretty, I wasn't able to get all of the bag material out, but it works that's all I care....
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mountain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2011, 08:54 PM
Recent Blog:
accumulative error

good idea. i know of a wheelbarrow that could use that remedy
Old 07-17-2011, 09:31 PM

I have sprayed starting fluid in the tire and threw a match in it. the little explosion will seat the bead. Be Careful ...... In a emergency only use this method.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to malcolm333 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2011, 09:34 PM
This site sucks

Thanked 2,077 Times in 825 Posts

I use a ratchet strap around the tire, just tighten it a little and it seals the bead up fine.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to fire65 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2011, 10:03 PM

great I have tried all kinds of different ideas. This WILL be next
Old 07-17-2011, 10:08 PM
Survivor

I tried the ratchett method, I cannot get it to work on these tires, without a tube in them as they are designed the inside wall of the tires go toward each other instead of out to the seat.

I tried using my usual standby of loading the rim with grease but I was still 1/2 inch from getting the front bead to touch even with a cargo strap on it, so I went with the last resort trick laying grocery bags in to block the air.

Wheelbarrow tires and rototiller tires designed to have tubes are a real bear to air up without a tube.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:08 PM

An old time grarge man told me to use brake fluid to soften the bead on old tires before trying to seat them. Soften the bead and use the ratchet strap, it works.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to schutzen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2011, 10:21 PM
Hunter

I use tire bead sealant and a ratchet strap.
http://www.ride-onshop.com/Products-Bead_Sealant.html
http://www.a1tireinc.com/tire-lube.php

Any rust on the seal area of the rim can lead to leaking and the bead sealant will stop leaking.

Does your rototiller have those cheap very thin tire that some rental places use?
They are crap but the rental places use them because they never wear out as they get damaged long before that and they can charge the customer for the replacement.

A good properly instaled tire should never need air unless it gets a hole in it.

No leaks then no one forgets to put air in them.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:38 PM
Survivor

I have the thick lugged tred tires, mine went flat because the tubes in them were leaking air, not a problem if you air up the tires before you use them, but as I mentioned the people I have lent the machine to have not put air in the tires before using and just ran them flat which ripped the air nozzle out of the the tubes.

I got it back with both tubes missing the air nozzle, so instead of buying more tubes I just decided to to run them without the tubes even though they are not designed for that.

The tire wall is about 2 inches apart where it seals and the seat on the rim is about 3 inches apart to get the sidewall started.

I did not figure it would be a problem to get these seated because they are a fairly heavy duty tire. But they turned out to be as hard as my wheelbarrow tire was. So I gave it the same treatment I did my wheelbarrow...

They are working great now, I rototilled about 200 square feet earlier and they are holding up great.

I think the best solution is to quit lending my tiller out to everyone. Though I would feel like a jerk to tell anyone who needs to use it no.

At any rate this works well for me in a pinch, maybe it will work for someone else in a pinch....
The Following User Says Thank You to Mountain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 11:49 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm333 View Post
I have sprayed starting fluid in the tire and threw a match in it. the little explosion will seat the bead. Be Careful ...... In a emergency only use this method.
I tried this method with a 44" mud tire, it would seat the bead but I couldn't get it to air up fast enough to hold..

It's a scary method, that's for sure!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leftyz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 11:55 AM
Always have an exit

Thanked 5,674 Times in 2,188 Posts

Quote:

lol, alot of Deuce and a half tires have been started this way.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tobkis For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Survivor

And here I thought that changeing split rimmed tires was the most exciting.... scary tire change....

I have never heard of that one.... spooky, but really cool....
The Following User Says Thank You to Mountain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 03:47 PM
Gangster of Love

Have them filled with foam
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dwb.usa For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 06:08 PM
Recent Blog:
Prepared

"I think the best solution is to quit lending my tiller out to everyone. Though I would feel like a jerk to tell anyone who needs to use it no."

You don't have to say no or sound like a jerk. Just tell them that you expect it to be returned in the same condition it was when they took it. That's what I have always done and if they return it with something broke, missing or torn up, I tell them they can either have it fixed themselves or give me the money to do it. If they won't go along with that, then the next time they ask to borrow it I tell them "sorry, the last time I loaned it to you it was brought back with (whatever was wrong) and you wouldn't do anything about it. And also, if I ever borrow something and something breaks, I always fix it before returning it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oldandcrotchety For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Smoke Eater

A little camp fuel around the bead (IT DOESN'T TAKE MUCH) and find something to light it with and something to put it out with (5 gallon buck of water) and a charged water hose nearby just in case. I've done this and it works just use extreme caution when doing this!
The Following User Says Thank You to CCFD1414 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 07:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,419 Times in 1,455 Posts

Quote:
I worked in a tire store about 15 years ago and we (somebody else) did this when people brought in mud tires or racing slicks. Its a handy trick to have up your sleeve but its one that can get nasty if not done properly.

We had a guy from a local p&b shop that would bring in tires off wrecked cars to be reseated. He saw us doing a racing tire one day and thought he would try it, so he takes his tires back to his shop and gives it a shot.

Two days later he brings the truckload of tires back to us sporting a set of fresh bandaging on his legs. Turns out he used too much starting fluid (multiple attempts), was trying to use a cigarette lighter to light it, all while wearing shorts. End of story, 2nd degree burns on both legs, no hair on his arms, and eyebrows and eyelashes gone. Definitely not a trick for the faint of heart or slow of reflex.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SLICK75 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 07:38 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,419 Times in 1,455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post

I think the best solution is to quit lending my tiller out to everyone. Though I would feel like a jerk to tell anyone who needs to use it no.
I know how you feel, Im much the same way when people need something. An alternative.. The tires are held on the axles with lynch pins (looks that way in the pic)? Keep a set of hard block tires on hand and put those on it when you lend it out. Sure, they dont ride through the dirt as nicely, but theyre a bugger to mess up and will never go flat.
The Following User Says Thank You to SLICK75 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 07:39 PM

Removing the valve core from the valve stem while trying to seat beads SOMETIMES helps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 95-FIVE-0 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 09:17 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,204 Times in 1,587 Posts

Charge the rental prices to make repairs and make them leave a cash deposit for your tiller.
XR750
Old 07-18-2011, 09:22 PM
Merry CHRISTmas !

Thanked 48,384 Times in 20,650 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

UH might be a silly question, how much can a spare tube be?