Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 07-16-2011, 10:45 AM
Resident Gun Nut

Default Staph Infection

Advertise Here

I recently had a staph infection and, being poor, was unable to go to the doctor to take care of it. I realized that I needed to add something to my FAK for staph infection in the event SHTF. There are a few over-the-counter remedies for MRSA and I thought I'd share their effectiveness with you. Remember, the best way to deal with a staph infection is to lance the wound and drain the infection, but you should only do so if you are well-trained and use sterile instruments. Lack of training and/or failure to use sterile instruments could result in worse infection.

Staphaseptic - This was the first thing I tried since it has staph in the name. It's an antibiotic but it didn't help. The makers of Staphaseptic claim that it's for PREVENTION of MRSA only. It won't help if you already have a staph infection, but if you get a cut or scrape and put some of this antibiotic on it, it will help prevent a staph infection with 99% effectiveness. For that reason alone I recommend getting some for your FAK.

Draw Out - Found this stuff at Rite-Aid and it's also called Drawing Salve, Black Salve, Bear Grease, etc. This stuff worked great to draw out the infection. Just apply some to a bandage then bandage the wound. It works for infections of all kind, and even draws out splinters. I highly recommend you get a tube of Ichthammol, the active ingredient in drawing salves.

Epsom Salt - Making an epsom salt compress helped relieve pain. Dissolve epsom salt into hot water, then soak a wash cloth in it. Hold the hot cloth compress on the wound for 5-10 minutes. Repeat. A hot compress followed by a bandage with Draw Out made me feel better. My research on epsom salt also shows it helps relieve itching due to herpes, if you have that problem

By using the epsom salt compress followed by the drawing salve, I was able to get rid of my staph infection within 5 days, relatively pain free and without lancing the infection. I realize that a lot of you already know what you should do in the event of an infection. However, for those of you who don't, I hope you find this information helpful. MRSA is very serious, and can even lead to death if it enters the blood stream, not to mention it is HIGHLY contagious. And with approximately 25% of Americans carrying staph, it just makes sense to prepare for inevitability of someone getting it in a SHTF situation.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rokitoes For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2011, 10:48 AM
I love this forum

i had staph infection and i found out the wasp , bees, spiders and scorpions all carry staph infection . i got mine from a wasp bit on my arm i got the stinger out then the welt around it kept growing and growing finaly a week later i was fourced by my wife to see a doctor and they said that if you wait too long it could have to be amputated
Old 07-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,333 Posts

Thanx for the epsom salt for herpes tip. I can't take my herpes meds due to a potential toxic effect when combined with my A.I.D.S. meds.
The Following User Says Thank You to agonies creep For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2011, 11:04 AM

Well not all staph infections are MRSA (methicillin-resistant staphylococcus) MRSA is a specific kind of staph infection that is resistant to antibiotics. It is highly unlikely that you cured yourself of MRSA considering our best medicines are ineffective against it. In fact trying to treat a staph infection yourself sets you up even more for it to develop into MRSA. I think you are giving off the impression that you can easily cure staph with a few things from RiteAid.
If you believe you have a staph infection you should go to the doctor if at all feasible. I can tell you from experience you really don't want to know just what a serious MRSA wound looks like. For the curious google "Necrotizing Fasciitis".
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CrazyRatLady For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2011, 11:10 AM
I love this forum

yea staph is not some over the counter cure . who diagnosed you with staph infection ? heck i tried everything over the counter and it did nothing to even slow the redness down i got stung on my upper fore arm almost at the bend . and in a week my wrist was swollen also . ohh and i was diagnosed by a doctor. i thought i was just having a bad reaction to the wasp sting .
Old 07-16-2011, 11:15 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG33 View Post
i had staph infection and i found out the wasp , bees, spiders and scorpions all carry staph infection . i got mine from a wasp bit on my arm i got the stinger out then the welt around it kept growing and growing finaly a week later i was fourced by my wife to see a doctor and they said that if you wait too long it could have to be amputated
Staph is also a normal flora in and on humans.. In the nose, GI tract, on the skin, etc
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SouthernBell For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2011, 11:19 AM

I was hospitalized with msra and its is some bad crap! I got celulitis (sp) 2 months after having my knee replaced and was really close to losing the knee. It is something that really scares me if I was to have to have another surgery. Luckily cleanliness does help keep it at bay and that is one the most important things I think about if shtf.

Randy
Old 07-16-2011, 11:21 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 4,637 Times in 1,472 Posts

Along those lines, I just read an article that states coffee and tea drinkers are more resistant to MRSA and staph.

OP, I'm glad things worked out for you. However, if you get a recurrence, do yourself a favor and see the doctor. Would hate to see a simple infection evolve into something life changing...

http://healthland.time.com/2011/07/1...tible-to-mrsa/
Old 07-16-2011, 11:26 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,941 Times in 1,728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRatLady View Post
Well not all staph infections are MRSA (methicillin-resistant staphylococcus) MRSA is a specific kind of staph infection that is resistant to antibiotics. It is highly unlikely that you cured yourself of MRSA considering our best medicines are ineffective against it. In fact trying to treat a staph infection yourself sets you up even more for it to develop into MRSA. I think you are giving off the impression that you can easily cure staph with a few things from RiteAid.
If you believe you have a staph infection you should go to the doctor if at all feasible. I can tell you from experience you really don't want to know just what a serious MRSA wound looks like. For the curious google "Necrotizing Fasciitis".

What she said!

I think if you really had MRSA there's a good chance you'd be dead right now
Old 07-16-2011, 11:37 AM
...all out of bubble gum

Thanked 1,201 Times in 434 Posts

Staphylococcus is on EVERYONES skin. Most boils tend to be from a "Staph infection". MRSA is usually best treated with heavy duty antibiotics, sometimes IV Therapy is required to get rid of these strains.

99% of these "super bugs" came from people that didn't complete their antibiotic regiments.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:08 PM
Resident Gun Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRatLady View Post
You're right. Not all Staph is MRSA, but about 70% of it is. I didn't claim to have cured myself, only that the wound has healed. MRSA is treated on two fronts: through antibacterial medicine and through lancing the boil and draining it of the infection. If the infection were to spread or get worse, I would have gone to the doctor, cost be damned. I definitely don't want to see necrotizing fasciitis...
The Following User Says Thank You to rokitoes For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2011, 01:02 PM
Kibitzer

Thanked 3,327 Times in 2,039 Posts

Had a spot on back of hand that got infected.
Swelled up and oozed big time. Skin was peeling off like a sunburn.
Tried everything you listed, no help.
Even took some RX left over from surgery, no help.
Went to doc and got three big shots and new RX.
Shots were over $100.
If my hand didn't get better doc was gonna put me in hospital with drip line.
Lucky hand got better, hospital costs $Ks.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Prepared Firebird

Thanked 9,878 Times in 2,741 Posts

You were very very VERY lucky.

My daughter also got a staph infection (during a hospital stay for another reason). She ended up in the ICU for over a month. Had a combo of 13 (no, that is not a typo) different antibiotics going in thru 3 IV lines......and STILL nearly died from it, before the infection slowly began to respond to treatment.

Staph is NOTHING to fool around with, trying a do-it-yourself treatment with OTC products from the drugstore. It's highly dangerous, and a lot of people die from it, every year.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,420 Times in 2,291 Posts

My wife the nurse is always seeing seeing people come in with "spider bites". What it usually is a minor staph infection with a bit of necrotizing fasciitis. People jump to the conclusion they've been bit by a brown recluse which are extraordinarily rare out here.

Sorry ma'am. That's not a spider bite. That's ordinary flesh eating bacteria.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:58 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,058 Times in 470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitoes View Post
Draw Out - Found this stuff at Rite-Aid and it's also called Drawing Salve, Black Salve, Bear Grease, etc. This stuff worked great to draw out the infection. Just apply some to a bandage then bandage the wound. It works for infections of all kind, and even draws out splinters. I highly recommend you get a tube of Ichthammol, the active ingredient in drawing salves.
I've never heard of this stuff before and my son recently had a splinter I couldn't get out (it eventually came out itself). How does this stuff work and when you say it drew out your infection, what exactly do you mean?
Old 07-16-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitoes View Post
You're right. Not all Staph is MRSA, but about 70% of it is. I didn't claim to have cured myself, only that the wound has healed. MRSA is treated on two fronts: through antibacterial medicine and through lancing the boil and draining it of the infection. If the infection were to spread or get worse, I would have gone to the doctor, cost be damned. I definitely don't want to see necrotizing fasciitis...
It sounds like you are giving ways to cure a boil, which is usually staph, but can be MRSA. Some might get the idea that you can easily cure staph and MRSA with your means. Before lancing and draining anything you should first try warm compresses because this might bring it to a head. Lancing it only opens the boil further for infection and should only be used if the compresses aren't working.
The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyRatLady For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFenix View Post
You were very very VERY lucky.

My daughter also got a staph infection (during a hospital stay for another reason). She ended up in the ICU for over a month. Had a combo of 13 (no, that is not a typo) different antibiotics going in thru 3 IV lines......and STILL nearly died from it, before the infection slowly began to respond to treatment.

Staph is NOTHING to fool around with, trying a do-it-yourself treatment with OTC products from the drugstore. It's highly dangerous, and a lot of people die from it, every year.
My daughter had it last year. She had a small red spot the size of a quarter on her thigh when going to bed. We thought it was an eczema spot. At 6am she woke up with a 103 degree fever and half her thigh covered in a bright red inflamation. She spent the next 6 days in the hospital. No matter what they pumped into her, the infection would not improve. She was finally sent home with a prescription for zyvox. All the treatments at best kept the infection from getting worse.

I think if we didnt have access to modern medicine and outstanding health insurance provided by my work, she would have died. It gave me a lot to think about concerning just how bad things will be if society were to completely collapse.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeerandGuns For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2011, 08:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,060 Times in 961 Posts

I had a MRSA infection when I was on vacation in northern California back in May - I saw a doctor there and he gave me two strong anti-biotics - cleared up the infection pretty quick - or so i though. As soon as I got back to NYC i went to my doctor -someone i have been meaning to replace for some time. He praised the doctor i went to and said I shouldnt have any lingering effect. A week later i am breaking out in boils!
I finally found a good doctor and showed him copies of all the blood work that was done in California - he said I was still infected and would need more anti-biotics and monitoring for a long time to come. I am on Septra DS now - one of the meds the California doctor gave me - and it seems to be working again - side effect SUCK!
Old 07-16-2011, 08:46 PM

MRSA is your own bodies inability to fight an infection. Staph as other have said is a normal bug in your body. The best way to not get MRSA is to be very clean with plain old soap and water. Limit the use of antibiotics and if needed take the entire prescription. Anyone who doses themselves or buys animal antibiotics are setting themselves up for MRSA or worse.
Antibiotics will do more to hurt our society than any terrorist attack!!!!
Old 07-16-2011, 08:49 PM
One of the Good Guys

There are literally dozens of causes of cellulitis, commonly called "staph infection" by the lay population, so my question to you is, --Did you get a wound culture to determine the etiology of the infection?

Other organisms that cause cellulitis in varying forms and situations include but are not limited to:

Haemophilus influenzae type B
Streptococcus pneumoniae
gram-negative rods (eg, Pseudomonas, Proteus, Serratia, Enterobacter, Citrobacter)
Helicobacter cinaedi
Fusarium species
Cryptococcus (rare)
Capnocytophaga canimorsus
Eikenella corrodens
Pasteurella multocida
Streptobacillus moniliformis
Aeromonas hydrophila
Pseudomonas and Plesiomonas species
Vibrio species
Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae
Mycobacterium marinum
V. vulnificus

Sorry just a pet peeve of my that people seem to always assume they have MRSA or a staph infection. You very well may have had a form of Staph and I am glad it is better. And I agree that antibiotic treatment and Incision and Drainage are the appropriate treatment steps if there is an abscess present. If no abscess, no incision. Abscess present, you almost always need an I & D with irrigation and packing if it does not open and drain on its own.