Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 07-16-2011, 07:35 AM
Cautious Optimist

Default Source for IV Fluids and Kits

Advertise Here

What is a good source to purchase IV fluids and infusion kits for a trauma kit?

Obviously, minimum expense and maximum shelf life would be nice.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:04 AM
Blessed

I found this place www.atlanticmedsupply.com. I haven't ordered from them but I can't find where you need a medical license unless you are buying IV fluid that is some sort of admixture.

If you order from them, please let me know how it goes. I want to get a few things.

Suzanne
Old 07-16-2011, 08:16 AM
Prepared

Try http://www.drsfostersmith.com/. they are a veterinary supplier, and they sell different types of IV electrolyte fluids, IV systems, needles and syringes. I don't think that you need a license to order from them, but don't take my word for it because I've never ordered that kind of stuff from them.

Also, since I don't know anything about human medicine, I'm not sure what types of solutions you'd want to buy.

solutions

drip kit

potassium chloride concentrate
Old 07-16-2011, 10:21 AM
Afraid for my country

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger65 View Post
What is a good source to purchase IV fluids and infusion kits for a trauma kit?

Obviously, minimum expense and maximum shelf life would be nice.

PLEASE have training before you decide to do this. From your profile, I didn't see anything but you may have not put it there. It is as easy or easier to kill someone with IV fluids as it is to do them good. Also from your profile, if we were closer, we would probably be good friends, lots in common. Well, I do still have all my hair
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to motorcycledog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2011, 10:58 AM
HANDY MAN

Thanked 1,486 Times in 635 Posts

Keep in mind, they train the dumbest of the dumb military guys/girls to give IV's. Dont listen to all the badge guards. Its not difficult.

Im not saying for someone to just "wing it" but its not that difficult after short training.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dirtyape For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2011, 11:16 AM
...all out of bubble gum

Thanked 1,202 Times in 434 Posts

There is a thread on getting "free medical supplies" in the "Discount Survival Gear Hunters" group.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kevinthenurse For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2011, 11:18 AM
...all out of bubble gum

If you are going to buy I.V. fluids.......... Stick with NORMAL SALINE! Other fluids could be dangerous without proper training.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kevinthenurse For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2011, 11:26 AM
...all out of bubble gum

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyape View Post
Keep in mind, they train the dumbest of the dumb military guys/girls to give IV's. Dont listen to all the badge guards. Its not difficult.

Im not saying for someone to just "wing it" but its not that difficult after short training.
I'm not going to dispute the first responder training, comment. But I WILL say there is more to it than just "stick & run fluids". The initial venipuncture isn't the most difficult thing in the world, but infusing anything other than "Normal Saline", could be dangerous or life threatening.

I try to explain to anyone without medical training; All fluids aren't the same. You wouldn't put baby oil, olive oil, or peanut oil in your vehicle. There are different oils for different situations. Using the wrong one for the wrong job could be disastrous.

And for GOD'S SAKE..... NEVER mix your own IV fluids.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to kevinthenurse For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2011, 12:23 PM
Blessed

I ditto what Kevin has to say, especially with Potassium. You will definitely kill someone with that.

Suzanne
The Following User Says Thank You to SuzanneTx For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Cautious Optimist

Actually, my daughter is an RN. I'm helping her pimp out a massive first aid / trauma kit for home, as well as a smaller one for her car. I would like to get hold of IV stuff just for emergency hydration.

She knows her stuff. And she's right at the top of my "bug in" list.
The Following User Says Thank You to digger65 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2011, 12:28 PM
...all out of bubble gum

Check some vet supply places. I've seen many people successfully purchase from some.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinthenurse View Post
If you are going to buy I.V. fluids.......... Stick with NORMAL SALINE! Other fluids could be dangerous without proper training.
As a RN I have to agree. Please please think twicw about what you stick in someones veins if you don't have the training!
The Following User Says Thank You to Branwen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2011, 03:46 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,058 Times in 470 Posts

I agree with dirtyape, don't be afraid of IVs. They're not complicated at all and the "badge guards" do indeed want to protect their skills. Even IV drug users are competent enough to find a vein and use it.

That said, I'm surprised that people are so well stocked that they would move onto this type of prepping. I'm so far behind on food, that I'll be happy to get antibiotics in the next 6 months, let alone IV fluids!

My 2 cents are to use oral electrolyte solutions (e.g. http://pedialyte.com/), because it solves the situations we'll encounter more easily than IV fluid would. Sure if you get shot or lose a lot of blood, IV fluids would be invaluable, but chances are we'll need these fluids for simple diarrhea before trauma.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aletoledo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2011, 04:31 PM
Remember The Alamo

Thanked 5,493 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:

BS most military medics are highly trained and very intelligent, I live because of one of thoses dumbest of the dumb
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Tenfeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2011, 05:43 PM

Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aletoledo View Post
I agree with dirtyape, don't be afraid of IVs. They're not complicated at all and the "badge guards" do indeed want to protect their skills. Even IV drug users are competent enough to find a vein and use it.

finding the vein and poking the needle into it is not the hard part of using I.V. fluids. it is knowing which type of fluid to use and under what circumstances. there are 9 different types of I.V. fluids that i know of, all used for different reasons

There are several different types of fluids used for IV therapy. Depending on their specific type and makeup, IV fluids can cause the shift and redistribution of body water between the intracellular and extracellular compartments. Therefore, it is important for anyone who plans to use them to have a basic understanding of the different IV fluids and to choose the fluid most appropriate to the patientís needs. Administering an inappropriate IV fluid can result in undesirable complications, as well as a less than optimal patient outcome.

not mention that all the ones that i have seen have a very short shelf life any ways. OP, if your daughter is a nurse, she should be able to find a good place to pick them up through people she works with. where does she work, and where do they buy their stuff from?
The Following User Says Thank You to lorky For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2011, 06:44 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,058 Times in 470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorky View Post
finding the vein and poking the needle into it is not the hard part of using I.V. fluids. it is knowing which type of fluid to use and under what circumstances. there are 9 different types of I.V. fluids that i know of, all used for different reasons

There are several different types of fluids used for IV therapy. Depending on their specific type and makeup, IV fluids can cause the shift and redistribution of body water between the intracellular and extracellular compartments. Therefore, it is important for anyone who plans to use them to have a basic understanding of the different IV fluids and to choose the fluid most appropriate to the patient’s needs. Administering an inappropriate IV fluid can result in undesirable complications, as well as a less than optimal patient outcome.
This is a good point, I agree with you. A prepper would have almost no reason to choose anything other than normal saline. If there was any other purpose than maintaining blood volume (after a trauma), then it would be meaningless to use IV fluid as a supportive treatment. Any condition requiring a specialized IV fluid isn't going to do a prepper much good, since IV fluids alone are not going to solve these unique problems. In addition, these specialized fluids would require lab diagnostics to help monitor the patient, so a prepper isn't going to have the capabilities of such highly calibrated diagnostics.

Even in the case of diarrhea, where a patient might not be able to take in any fluids by themselves and you want to replace lost fluids, without lab diagnostics, it would be safer to use normal saline.

So I'm curious to hear why anyone would believe a prepper should have anything other than normal saline?
Old 07-16-2011, 06:48 PM
HANDY MAN

Thanked 1,486 Times in 635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenfeathers View Post
BS most military medics are highly trained and very intelligent, I live because of one of thoses dumbest of the dumb
LOL not BS! Im talking about 11b's (I was one) not medics. I trusted my medics completely.

Relax Rambo.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:20 PM
Remember The Alamo

Thanked 5,493 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
LOL not BS! Im talking about 11b's (I was one) not medics. I trusted my medics completely.

Relax Rambo.
Read your own post that is not what you said
No reason to call me names either.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:17 PM

Default My $0.02

I have been in Emergency Medicine for 19 years. I would highly suggest one knows what they are doing before using these products, with that being said, allied health professional in EMS and Military type medics are highly skilled individuals - talented folks.

I too only stock Normal Saline. In a true survival situation, Isotonic versus Hypo/Hyper tonic means little, filling the vascular space to maintain diastolic pressure for the heart means every thing. If one did have access to a trauma facility at some point- they could use that line 18ga or larger (preferred) to run blood in a quicker fashion. Keeping in mind that if there is no access to a higher level of care - no crystalloid fluid carries oxygen and does nothing to prolong the onset of Hypoxemia . Stock up on a good supply of basic trauma stores, and know your basic care, that will be the life saver.

I would stay away from animal or cattle grade fluids, if you are going to stock these items here is a good place to look, no RX required for fluids and set ups etc....

http://dealmed.com
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sticks440 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2011, 10:28 PM

Thanked 1,105 Times in 492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks440 View Post
Stock up on a good supply of basic trauma stores, and know your basic care, that will be the life saver.
This.