Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 07-13-2011, 02:46 PM

Default DIY Generator

Advertise Here

Does anyone know of any good DIY generator sites? I tried googling, but it seems that most of them are for old skool engines or Lister type of engines.

I ran across a killer deal(FREE) of this engine.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I want to mount a 10+kV genset head on it, but I would like to know the easiest way to do that. So if anyone can recommend a site or if they know how please let me know.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:08 PM

Here are a few sites:

http://theepicenter.com/tow02077.html

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3419295/Bu...-own-Generator
The Following User Says Thank You to Wanderingson For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2011, 03:20 PM

Thanks, but I was looking for something more along the lines of a full sized engine site or info. Picture might be deceiving but this is a full sized Cummins 6 cylinder diesel engine that weighs enough that I needed a forklift to get it on my truck. I was hoping to either do a direct driveshaft connection or maybe something like an alternator mount.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,283 Times in 5,751 Posts

Nice looking engine.
I assume you meant 10kW generator? Rather small for that size engine. However some things you would need to have to make it work are a governor (mechanical if you do not mind a fair amount of frequency variation, electronic if smoother needed) for the engine to maintain a rpm band that the generator is designed for and either a direct shaft coupler or a pulley to drive the generator head by belt.

Most direct connected generator heads will bolt up the engine using the coupler between the shafts. Since I do not know the bolt pattern of your engine block you might need a adapter plate to make that work out. Do not know if there are ready made ones out there for retail sale. You would need to go to a commercial generator shop.

If you go the pulley belt route make sure you know the ratio for properly setting the generator rpm. By doing this you can buy a fairly simple Generator head from the likes of northern Tool or others. Just google Belt drive generators (I noticed that Harbor freight has one at 10kW for 3600 rpm, motor minimum 16 HP for $399). You would need to be careful that your large engine did not overpower the gen set. Belt drive would allow for some give that might prevent damage.

Hope that gives you some thoughts. Good luck on the project.

Edited to add: I see it is a Cummings diesel. Contact you Cummings engine rep and he should have contacts on generators that will bolt up plus shaft couplers.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2011, 03:26 PM

Thanks for that info, gives me some direction at the very least and more ideas as well. And yes i meant 10kW not 10kV. heh. And i sorta figured that the engine was WAY bigger than I needed, but damn its hard to pass up FREE if you know what I mean.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,283 Times in 5,751 Posts

Sorry, but had to hit the old head a few times before the import of what you have posted to sink in.

If this is a working Cummins diesel 6 cylinder engine, you could get several thousand for it by selling it used. Google up its model number and you might get some input into its value. You could then use the proceeds to buy outright a very nice 10kW standby home generator unit.

Just a thought.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:07 AM
Knowledge means Thriving

I used this excellent book:

GENERATORS AND INVERTERS by Steve Chastain

http://stephenchastain.com/book6.htm
From the website:
This book should probably be called “The Small Power Generation Bible” If you have any questions about small power generation then this is the book for you! Whether you want to build it or buy it, this book has all the essential details for assembling a small power plant for full time or emergency use. See Steve convert a Ford Pinto engine into a reliable generator with a homemade propane carburetor and governor. Build an automatic or remote starter, so you don’t have to go outside to get your power going in bad weather! Build an engine protection device that turns the generator off in case of low oil pressure or high temperature. Find out how to safely isolate the engine vibration so that you wont crack your concrete slab. Learn how to make your generator as quiet your new car at idle!
Discover how to convert most of the engine’s heat into hot water for heating and home or see how Steve uses it to heat his pool!
Learn about transfer switches, 2 pole and 4 pole alternators and how to properly size your generator for reliable operation.
Learn about different fuels such as gas, diesel, propane, bio diesel, used oil, even sewer gas! Know if your fuel tanks will float in case of a flood and how to calculate “Adequate Separation Distance” from buildings, trees and people.
Get all the important details on batteries and battery back up systems. You get essential information on lightening basics…and more! This book pushes the limit for the amount of information that you can cram into one book If you have ever thought about generators or had a question about small power plants then you will want this book!

This book is in stock and ships same day
352 PAGES Price $34.95
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sirtomprice For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2011, 02:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,623 Times in 2,335 Posts

if you want a genset on a car motor get a nissan or isuzu diesel. attach a couple 10kw genset heads from hf. just remember to invest other money in batteries.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:17 PM
Prepared

my truck has a cummins IBT in-line six. That photo is in the V configuration.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:30 PM
shottist. Brit spelling.

Thanked 7,575 Times in 3,861 Posts

I've run across Chastain's stuff on Lindsay Books. His book on cupolas for casting iron is good, clear, concise and readable. If his generator book is anything like the other one, I'd grab a copy. Heck, I may grab a copy anyway, come payday....
Old 08-02-2011, 12:06 PM

Awesome idea! I agree with some of the other members... you should be able to get more than 10KW out of the power that your engine produces.

I have a Generac 7.5KW/13.5KW Surge generator.. It runs on a single cylinder 14 HP engine.. If I can get 7.5KW/13.5KW from a 14HP engine, you could probably get 40-50KW (conservatively) from your engine.

The key is to determine what RPM it should run at. Most portable generators run at 3600 RPM, but some more serious diesel backup generators run at 1600 RPM.

With your motor, you'll probably use up a lot of gas if you run it at 3600 RPM constantly. I'd recommend finding a generator motor that runs on 1600 RPM.

See if you can find an old generator that has a blown motor and just install your motor on to it.

I was thinking of doing a DIY generator out of a DIY turbine engine made from a turbocharger. DIY jet turbine engines from turbochargers are nothing new. The problem is extracting shaft horsepower from that and reducing it to the proper RPM to run a generator motor.

Once I have the turbine engine assembled and running, I was thinking of taking a second turbocharger, removing the "cold side" from the second turbocharger to leave the shaft exposed, and mounting the exhaust turbine portion of the second turbo to the exhaust of the exhaust of the engine. The exhaust from the engine will spin the exhaust turbine on the second turbocharger and I can then mount some sort of transmission to it to reduce the RPM from somewhere near 60,000 down to 3,600. I can then connect a standard generator motor from a run of the mill portable generator to the output of the transmission.

I could run it on propane, or set it up to run on liquid fuel. Neat thing is, it'll run on any liquid fuel.. gasoline, diesel, Jet A, vegetable oil, anything flammable. I am unsure of how efficient it'll run though. Doubtful it'll be as efficient as a run of the mill portable generator like I already have. haha.

Homer
Old 08-02-2011, 12:16 PM
The end is,,,,,

Thanked 9,332 Times in 3,954 Posts

Man that would comsume alot of fuel. Would the pay off be worth it?
Old 08-02-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerB View Post

With your motor, you'll probably use up a lot of gas if you run it at 3600 RPM constantly. I'd recommend finding a generator motor that runs on 1600 RPM. r
Without knowing the model I would almost bet that thing won't rev to 3600. 3k is asking alot of a diesel. Some of our trucks started redline at 2400.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,156 Times in 499 Posts

First you need to know the engine horse power. It takes roughly two engine HP to make 1000 watts at the generator. So a 100HP engine will pull a 50kw head! That is if it is direct drive. On that engine, I would suggest using a step up gear ratio so your gen-head spins at 3600 while your engine spins at 1600 to 2000rpm. It wont pull as large a head but will be more efficient. Like for example using the 100hp figure, look for a 25-30kw head. You can get all the mechanicals you need from here. www.surpluscenter.com.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Suburban Cowboy

You should bolt up a gear reduction drive and turn a 50kw pto generator head with it.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:08 AM
Hunter

look at EBAY , they have lots of generator heads that are belt driven of all KW sizes !
look for any WINCO heads , you can come across gensets that will need a new engine from time to time !
Caterpillar is a major player when it comes to the larger generators !

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R4...All-Categories

also check out ONAN http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/html/...ets/a-1538.pdf
THIS PUTS OUT 20KW with 40 horse and your 5.9 puts out 140HP !
if that engine is in good shape you might try selling it or trading for a smaller diesel !
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cj06 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2011, 03:49 PM
Prepared

Be very cautious of used generators. I don't know about portable gennys but generators the size that you're talking about can lose output capacity by just sitting idle.

don't ask me why or how, but I DO know that to be the case. that's why generators used for life-safety loads in buildings must be exercised and load tested frequently.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ConservaBill For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2011, 09:43 PM
shottist. Brit spelling.

Thanked 7,575 Times in 3,861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseracing View Post
Without knowing the model I would almost bet that thing won't rev to 3600. 3k is asking alot of a diesel. Some of our trucks started redline at 2400.
A good genset will peak at 1180 RPM or thereabouts, from the ones I used to use in the oil patch. Most of these were 45-75KW, though, for use on a drilling rig.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:47 PM

try to find a used military gen ,most need engines,
Old 08-06-2011, 09:12 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 5,503 Times in 2,612 Posts

I think you want a 10kWatt not Volt. You should examine your load. Since your diy consider pulling the heat off the cooling system and exhaust for space heating. Diesel stores better but cost more than gasolene, propane last forever if you can keep it in the can. 1800 and 3600 are common rpm's for gen heads, there are others. Pay attention to noise and vibration when selecting location for placement. Also Engines stink when working.