Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 07-13-2011, 11:17 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,824 Times in 987 Posts
Default How to make potatoes sprout

Advertise Here

I thought about growing potatoes too late this year to get potatoes seedlings from a nursery. Someone suggested getting organic potatoes from a grocery store which I did as I am just experimenting anyway. Next year (if there is one) I will plan ahead.

I assume organic ones do not have inhibitors sprayed on them to prevent sprouting.

So then I researched how to get them to sprout.

There seems to be very conflicting advice on the internet.

I thought potato/vegetable cellars were cool, dry, dark places whose purpose is to among other things, keep potatoes from sprouting.

But some advice on how to get potatoes to sprout is to put them in those conditions. Such advice does not make sense.

So I have put a few potatoes in several different conditions and combinations of them to see what works (sunny vs dark, warm vs cooler, moist vs dry).

As for the moist ones, I stuck some wooden matches in them and suspended them just above some water. I do not have any with the potato actually touching the water.

As for sunny, I do not have any in direct, hot sun.

What is the best method to get them to sprout?
Old 07-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Hiker

From reading various articles, my understanding is that potatoes from a grocery store have been sprayed with something to inhibit sprouting. That's the difference between grocery potatoes and "seed" potatoes. We've had no problem sprouting the seed potatoes. We leave them in a paper bag on the floor in our store room until they sprout. Not particularly dark or cool.

That being said, we have no problem with potatoes sprouting right there in the kitchen storage basket. It takes a while, but they eventually sprout or begin to rot.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grandad Prepper For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Survivor

I am not an organic nazi so I know little of the rules as to what's permitted or not with organic products, but spraying something that is organic with a chemical that inhibits sprouting would not seem to my every uneducated view as complying with what I thought an organic potato would be.

I guess one other question I have is this idea a bad one? Am I risking contaminating my soil with a potato disease by not using seed potatoes from the are in which I plan to grow them?
Old 07-13-2011, 11:40 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,795 Times in 578 Posts

My gramdma use to grow potato's in the cellar.

She buried potato's that had 'sprout' ....

I wish I would have paid attention more.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:42 PM

make sure when you plant them to turn they "eye" upwards.
The Following User Says Thank You to ky_Dave For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2011, 11:35 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 9,061 Times in 4,508 Posts

I can't keep them from sprouting. Seems just looking at them makes it happen.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:57 AM
Recent Blog:
Hunter

Thanked 1,579 Times in 786 Posts

If they are in a cool, dark place (could be a paper bag) they will eventually sprout but if you are in a hurry they will sprout faster in a warm, dark place. I grow potatoes in my yard. I buy organic seed potatoes but I always have a few potatoes left over from the year before that begin to sprout when the basement begins to get warmer. I plant them in a separate area just in case. As to the inhibitors, they usually wear off but I never plant those commercial potatoes because I don't want to risk contamination. Organic doesn't mean that they were grown in disease free soil, just that it was done following organic methods.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldparanoia For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2011, 07:55 AM
Survivor

How long do potato diseases typically last? Just one growing season? Would a cold, hard Maine winter kill the diseases off? Or does the soil get contaminated for multiple years.

(No one else is growing potatoes for miles around so contaminating a neighbor is not an issue.)

I am just experimenting at this point to learn how to grow them. I only have about 10 to plant (although I guess they could be cut up in smaller pieces).
Old 07-15-2011, 08:14 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,039 Times in 2,615 Posts

Iv had shop brought potatoes successfully sprout while loose in a carrier bag in the cupboard by the back door.
The Following User Says Thank You to Purdy Bear For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2011, 08:27 AM
Survivor

I guess I should clarify that what I was seeking was how to speed up the sprouting process as I would like to get them in the ground in time for them to blossom this fall as I am in growing zone 5b or 6.

Sometimes I have had non-organic potatoes quickly sprout and other times they have not just left in the transparent plastic bag in which they came sometimes in room window light and other times in a dark place. I suppose if they were treated with an inhibitor that makes a difference.

I am expecting that ones labeled organic should not have an inhibitor sprayed on them.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:15 PM
phantom raspberry blower

Thanked 25,209 Times in 10,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANSTAF1 View Post
I thought about growing potatoes too late this year to get potatoes seedlings from a nursery. Someone suggested getting organic potatoes from a grocery store which I did as I am just experimenting anyway. Next year (if there is one) I will plan ahead.

I assume organic ones do not have inhibitors sprayed on them to prevent sprouting.

So then I researched how to get them to sprout.

There seems to be very conflicting advice on the internet.

I thought potato/vegetable cellars were cool, dry, dark places whose purpose is to among other things, keep potatoes from sprouting.

But some advice on how to get potatoes to sprout is to put them in those conditions. Such advice does not make sense.

So I have put a few potatoes in several different conditions and combinations of them to see what works (sunny vs dark, warm vs cooler, moist vs dry).

As for the moist ones, I stuck some wooden matches in them and suspended them just above some water. I do not have any with the potato actually touching the water.

As for sunny, I do not have any in direct, hot sun.

What is the best method to get them to sprout?
Plant them.

Just give them a good wash and get them in the ground asap.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:27 PM

Cut them up, one or 2 eyes per cut, let them dry a couple days, plant them. They don't have to sprout first.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,459 Times in 797 Posts

Seems late for this year, even if they're already sprouted.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:51 PM

Plant now and you will have potatoe this fall. I planted early and have pulled some already.