Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 07-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,173 Times in 1,385 Posts
Default Penicillin Allergy/ Alternatives

Advertise Here

I didn't want to hijack another thread with this.

My 16 yr old son is allergic to penicillin. As a result, most of the antibiotics we stock, right now, are off limits for him.

Are any of you, here, allergic to penicillins and what are you stocking for yourselves as an alternative? Is there something that we can get like Fish Cillin for penicillin allergic people?

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Trapper

Generally avoid cephalosporins/any Beta-lactams as a general rule.

erythromycin is a good alternative. but i would go and see his Dr. to discuss.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:56 PM
We are at DEFCON 1

Thanked 8,210 Times in 3,533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaciRich View Post

My 16 yr old son is allergic to penicillin. As a result, most of the antibiotics we stock, right now, are off limits for him.

Are any of you, here, allergic to penicillins and what are you stocking for yourselves as an alternative? Is there something that we can get like Fish Cillin for penicillin allergic people?

Thanks!
LaciRich,

I to am allergic to Penicillins so I take Kaflex (do not have a stock pile, but I am able to get 30 every 6 months from my LDS Dentist). I also take Cipro (My stock pile is Fish Flox from Lambers Vet Supply).
Old 07-10-2011, 06:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,173 Times in 1,385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by felicia View Post
LaciRich,

I to am allergic to Penicillins so I take Kaflex (do not have a stock pile, but I am able to get 30 every 6 months from my LDS Dentist). I also take Cipro (My stock pile is Fish Flox from Lambers Vet Supply).
Awesome! Thanks! I have heard that some can take the cephalosporins and some can't. I think my best bet is to have him tested for allergies to those.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,510 Times in 2,125 Posts

I use erythromycin almost exclusively. I also have problems taking Kaflex as well.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:33 PM

First you need to ask why you are stockpiling a product that has a shelf life of less than a year.

Unless he's immune compromised it's unlikely a 16yo would need any anti-biotics.
The immune system of the body is an amazing thing and in an otherwise healthy 16yo giving antibiotics could prolong his illness by allowing him to breed antibiotic resistant strains in his body. Additionally since antibiotics tend to be indiscriminate killers, they are likely going to wipe out his good bacteria too leaving him wide open for other infections. Either of these could compromise your whole family.

I know you don't want to see him suffer, but the use and overuse of antibiotics is why we have to keep coming up with strong and stronger antibiotics.

That's the bad news, now here's the good news.
Most people who are allergic to penicillin are not allergic to sulfa drugs.

Here's even better news.
Many of the sulfur compounds in garlic in the presence of HCL will become sulphonamides
which form the basis of the Sulfa drugs.

Now here's the best news.
The largest source of HCL you have handy is in your stomach, this means eating garlic will naturally produce sulphonamides, thereby assisting the body in clearing a bacterial infection by allowing the body to get ahead of the bacteria.
Therefore eating garlic when sick ought to help.
What do you know, it appears it does! http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19929845

Make sure it's fresh and, take 1 clove every 4 to 6 hours, (grind it up in food or make a soup etc) up to 4 cloves daily, for 2 weeks. Only use if something green colored is coming out of him and it hasn't cleared on it's own in 2 weeks (otherwise it's not helping it's harming).

*Disclaimer* This information is not intended to be construed as medical advice. Furthermore this information is for educational purposes only and is not intended to treat or cure any disease. This information has not been reviewed or approved by the FDA, however the National Institutes of Health have. Please consult your medical professional before starting or stopping any drugs or changing diet as there may be adverse reactions with many classes of drugs.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,095 Times in 759 Posts

I am allergic to penicillin and right now they have me on vancomiacin, flagel and sephtrioxone.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:44 PM
Research, Learn, Share

Quote:
Originally Posted by felicia View Post
LaciRich,

I found out that I was allergic to penicillin and cephalosporins by having an anaphylactic reaction to Keflex.

The antibiotics I can use are erythromycin and any of the tetracycline family, including, doxyxycline (Vibramycin), Cipro, azithromax (Z-pack). There are others like Bactrim that are also OK for me.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:55 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,182 Times in 1,148 Posts

I am allergic to pen. and sulfa antibiotics.

I think having one allergy makes one suspectible to having other reactions.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:00 AM
Prepared

I'm allergic to Pen too and the Cephalosporin cross-reactivity in a penicillin-allergic patient is reported to range anywhere from 5% to 18% of patients. For my doc, this is not an acceptable risk outside of a monitored situation.

For minor grade infections, I usually take Doxycycline and Clindamycin for more severe. On a rare occasion, I will be prescribed Azithromycin but my doc rarely prescribes it now due to Group A streptococcus (including strep throat) resistance from over-prescribing around the world. Another thing to remember, people with penicillin allergy are at higher risk of developing an allergy to sulfa antibiotics..unfortunately, I'm one of those people now. I had hives the size of grapefruits.

PS...Don't let people scare you from Clindamycin if your son needs a strong antibiotic, the C. difficile is much more common in people taking big gun Pen's like Augmentin/Amoxicillin. If your doc won't prescribe for storage, you can get the IDENTICAL drug here:
Old 08-22-2011, 01:14 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaciRich View Post

Thanks!
Please, please don't take medical advice from this message board. Your son could die. Half the posters here believe in voodoo. Talk to your medically trained doctor.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:33 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,182 Times in 1,148 Posts

I second this, as I am battling allergic reactions of an unknown cause -- I almost died twice last week, and that was in a staffed and stocked hospital. Don't mess around with anaphylaxis as it feels 10x worse than it looks.

I wish you all the best in finding an allergist for your son.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:03 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio_survival View Post
Please, please don't take medical advice from this message board. Your son could die. Half the posters here believe in voodoo. Talk to your medically trained doctor.
I second this

ask your doctor

and even if he told you what the alternatives are theres a pretty good chance you cannot get that stuff without a prescription (least not in the USA) and it has a shelf life

me i stock penicilin and terramycin but i also get it for $40 for a big ole bottle of it 500ml bottles $70 for the terramycin
(having livestock gives you acess to alot of that stuff its different brand name than people meds but its the same chemical)

and even if you have it you need to know your administering it for the proper medical problems (reason we have super infections like MRSA is people being antibiotic happy) so you can use your meds and if you dont know much about how to treat it you can give too little and not kill it all and then still have the bug but its now more resistant to the drug

and the tetracyclin family of drugs cipro terramycin and the like are very powerful antibiotics that should be used very sparingly as they also have some interesting possible side effects

talk to your doctor and do some serious reading i recomend getting maby some old clinical nursing school books and give em a read or maby some med school books and pick up a physicians medial dosage guide as well before you play DR

Last edited by FarmerJohn; 08-22-2011 at 05:23 AM..