Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 07-09-2011, 06:15 PM

Default Use of HAM radios during disasters today

Advertise Here

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/h...706-1h135.html

This is in today's Sydney Morning Herald. I was especially interested in how important HAM radios were in informing residents about the progress of bushfires. Fires move so fast that the emergency services could not relay accurate info quick enough. Those families with HAM radios had access to better information.

Maybe they run courses at the local community college? Will investigate.
The Following User Says Thank You to sydneymum For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2011, 06:21 PM
Keeper of Tomes

Thanked 1,663 Times in 743 Posts

Every city of decent size has a HAM club. Thats were to start.
The Following User Says Thank You to urban For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2011, 07:36 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 12,612 Times in 4,643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneymum View Post
http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/h...706-1h135.html

This is in today's Sydney Morning Herald. I was especially interested in how important HAM radios were in informing residents about the progress of bushfires. Fires move so fast that the emergency services could not relay accurate info quick enough. Those families with HAM radios had access to better information.

Maybe they run courses at the local community college? Will investigate.
The ham radio folks here in the states have been heavily involved in helping our first responders during crisis events. Many hams just live for this.

It's not that the police, fire, and medical folks don't own radios, they just don't have a clue how to set them up and use them once the grid power goes down.

Hams many world wide contesting events and a yearly field day event. Read up about the amateur radio relay league. Study, take the test for your license, and buy your self a radio.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2011, 09:53 PM

My father has his HAM license and when all the ruckus of Y2K was running rampant. The police, fire, and rescue in our podunk town had ask the local HAM club to set up shop in the fire and rescue squad buildings in case the grid went down. They were all more than happy to do it, but it goes to show you how important local comms can become in a state of emergency.
The Following User Says Thank You to LostInSpace For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2011, 09:59 PM
AN, DE & MCA

Thanked 4,522 Times in 1,229 Posts

I am studying for mine now. In the states i am shooting the the Tech/General test at the same sitting. This will give me privileges on most all high Freq bands where long distance comms take place.

I don't know what the Lic Req are down under, but there is a comm forum here under the Urban section where you can ask questions. Also check out http://www.qrz.com for a website totally geared to HAM radio. Lots of info there.

Check this out ham in oz. From the quick look I had get at least the Standard Lic.
The Following User Says Thank You to Armordude For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2011, 09:59 PM

During Katrina it was the only form of communication that still worked.. During Gustav and Ike cellphones for the most part worked.
Its worth getting the license!
The Following User Says Thank You to Supressed223 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2011, 11:48 PM

Because of the broad range of frequency operation that hams like myself enjoy, there's always a band that is open well enough for some mode of operation, be it voice, key or data. Its quite a bit easier to obtain a license now (than it was for me 30 years ago). During the year your local ham club will hold Saturday classes that will not only cover the fundamentals you need to know to pass the test, but they will administer the test to you the same day via volunteer examiners. I got my wife to take a Saturday class and she has kept her tech license up to date since. Communication will be as important as water during a crisis. And Hick Industries is right, some hams live for the potential disaster, but then they will always be the first ones there to help, too.

Get your license then get a rig and tune in to your surroundings. You just might enjoy it at the same time. Ham radio saved my sanity when I was stationed overseas a couple years for my company in the 1980's. I strung-up a 20m bazooka dipole antenna at the gasthouse I was living at and worked the world from my bedroom practically every night. My code speed increased dramatically and I lost count of the number of friends I made. It's very comforting knowing there's always someone on some frequency to talk to whenever you need or want to.

Do it now and be way ahead of the game when the SHTF.
The Following User Says Thank You to eagleout For This Useful Post: