Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Pistol and Revolver Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 07-09-2011, 10:07 AM
Target Shooter

Default Best .45 Caliber Semi Auto

Advertise Here

Glock,springfield XD, 1911, whatever. discuss your preferences pros/cons ext here. Lets have some legitimate discussions. This is not a ****ing match, id just like to hear other peoples opinions on various .45 caliber handguns. what model do you prefer, what company, ext. Ill start off with my experience between 2 different models.

Way back in when id worked a summer job in middle school and decided it was time for me to make my first handgun purchase ever. Me and my dad drove up to Buckeye Outdoors, and they pretty much have everything. So im looking over all the various guns, and i narrow it down to 2 guns. I knew i wanted a .45 Semi Auto and i narrowed it down to the Glock21 and a Smith&Wesson Stainless Steel 1911. Now back then at the time, both guns were pretty damn close in price, this was back before prices got ridiculous. The smith was about 100 Dollars more than the glock, but it didnt matter cuz i had 800$ spending money.

My dad swore by the 1911, and Smith And Wesson, but that Glock...it just looked SO COOL. and it held 14 rounds as opposed to 9. Dad tryed to discourage me from buying the Glock, calling it a Foreign Piece of ****. But at the end of the day i walked out with the G21.

We took it out to the range and i couldnt even print a single shot on a 3 foot by 3 foot piece of cardboard with a bullseye in the middle at 25 yards, and i was generally very accurate with all the other guns ive ever shot. So needless to say i was pretty ****ed. We couldnt even tell where the hell the rounds were going because it wouldnt print on paper, so i ended up standing at like 10 feet and fireing 13 shots, none of which hit paper. SO i went o the local gun store and purchased a 200 dollar lazer sight, one of the ones that clips onto the accessory rail. After sighting it in i was able to score hits but the problem was...the laser wouldnt hold zero. he first shot would hit dead center, the second shot would shoot 10 inches high and right, followed by the next shot going way off somewhere else, and upon visual inspection of the position of the dot in relation to the sights it was obvious that with every shot, the dot was knocked way off from where it was the previous shot.

The next step was to buy a fully adjustable target sight and just try different settings until i could print paper at close range and go from there.
Now i cant remember exactly what the result was, but i know how we fixed the issue

the gun was shooting WAY off. I ended up having to move the sight all the way to the right as far as it would go, and crank it up as high as it would go as well. the end result, at 15-25 yards i could score perfect head shots 100% of the time, every time, sadly though, by the time i got it sighted in properly id fired over 1,000 rounds!

Anyways, after that the gun served me well for 7 years, its never jammed or malfunctioned, and my dad has sense purchased one as well as my grandfather, their guns shot exactly to the point of aim out of box. no idea what was wrong with mine. But now im having the same problems, one time ill shoot and be dead on, next time i cant even hit a steel plate at 15 yards, the sight isnt holding zero anymore.

GLOCK 21
PROS-
Best Safety system ever. Theres absolutly nothing to mess with. Pull the gun out aim and pull the trigger. No Decocker, No Safety switch to screw with. Just point and shoot! Looks Awesome
Extremely reliable, no jams/malfunctions in 7 years. High ammo capacity, extremely simple to take apart and clean/maintenance. Requires little cleaning to function, Went 2K rounds thru it without cleaning and it still never missed a lick. Thats with lead reloads not FMJ's.

CONS- Accuracy Issues, I dislike the sights, Trigger takes some getting used to

Now moving on to my experience with the 1911 Platform.

I have fired the 1911 many times from the following companies. Colt, Smith and Wesson, Charles Daly, Taurus, and Springfield armory.

The Colt tended to have alot of stovepipes, and accuracy was pretty poor, i believe it shot 6 inches high and 3 inches to the left, stock militay sights so you couldnt adjust it.

The Smith and Springfield were very good guns, no jams, accurate, and had really nice triggers, Better than the glock imo

The Taurus had some problems with jams,fails to feed ext, accuracy was very good, but i didnt care particularly for the finish...had a pakerized typelook/feel to it more than gun blueing

Now for my favorite. The Charles Daly. It has standard military sights, but it has all the fancy bells and whistles. Beavertail grip, amibi safety, extended slide release switch, hollowed out trigger/hammer ext. The factory mags that came with it were total garbage. jammed the gun up every time. threw them away and replaced them with McCormick mags and have never had a jam since. Very reliable, although around the 1.5-2K mark it did start to fail to go into full battery until i cleaned it. Extremely accurate, i can consistently shoot empty shotshells off a wooden table with it at 15 yards. Extremely nice trigger, i shoot this gun faster and more accurate than any gun ive ever shot, i can empty the 9 round mag in no time at all with 90-100% accuracy every time on 8X8 steel plates at up to 20 yards, farther away i have to slow down and use my sights, and im accurate at up to 50 yards with it slow aimed fire. Ive had alot of practice though.

PROS-A nice classic gun, extreme accuracy for a semi auto, Very fast to shoot,very reliable but does need cleaned after about 1K rounds, Supperrior Sights

Cons-They tend to be quite overpriced IMO as compared to other models like the glocks,springfield XDs, and smith M&Ps
Your limited to 9 rounds. Its possible that extended mags exist but i havent looked into it. Not necessarily a con...i can score just as many kills with 9 shots in a 1911 as i could with 13 in my glock due to the better accuracy
No accessory rail, might be a con to some people, i personally dislike Rails allover my guns, and i dont need all that Tacticool **** anyway.

Conclusion, its my opinion that the 1911 is the best, though its just my personal favorite, just because it works for me doesnt mean it will for you. Some people don like the low ammo capacity. But i really like the ergonomics of it and how it feels in the hand. For a Civilian Concealed carry gun id prefer the Glock, but for a SHTF/TEOTWA id want the 1911 all the way. I just cant stand not being able to tag a target at 50 yards consistently with a sidearm and the Glock doesnt do it for me.

As they say in Deadliest Warrior....EDGE, 1911! lol.

Lets hear from you guys now. remember this is not a My PP is bigger than Your PP Match, Serious educated discussion backed by facts and personal experience only. Opinions welcome but please do so in a respectful manner.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Realist

My only ownership experience with the 1911 was a Llama that I bought cheap 15 years ago for $200 and as the saying goes I got what I paid for. Frequent failure to feeds, had the ramp polished and had fewer failure to feeds lol. Last year I bought an XD-45 and love it. I already had an XD-9 for a few years so I had a good idea what I was getting. Love both of them and have never had any sort of malfunction. They eat every thing I feed them without question and I love the higher capacity. Both are every bit as accurate as I need in a pistol (for longer engagements I'll be working my way to a long gun). For some reason the Springfield XD's just feel right in my hand, more so than my Glocks and any other 1911's I have fired. And that fact can mean all the difference when it comes to accuracy as well as combat functionality.

I think part of the debate between 1911, Glock, and XD is a mater of personal comfort we are all made a bit differently and firearms will feel different in each of our hands so it will be rare that anyone's mind is ever changed on the subject. Thats ok because it is more important that you are comfortable with the firearm and it works well for you than following someone elses idea of what is comfortable and works well for them. I have fired several other 1911's and they were a much better expereince than the Llama, but they were also much much more expensive and the owners had a lot of aftermarket work done on them. My XD's were great right out of the box. I'll just end by saying that if a 1911 feels right to you don't go cheap without a great deal of research.

P.S. Still have the Llama. I never let any firearm go even if it is a poor performer.

Last edited by Ranger72; 07-09-2011 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-09-2011, 11:18 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger72 View Post
My only ownership experience with the 1911 was a Llama that I bought cheap 15 years ago for $200 and as the saying goes I got what I paid for. Frequent failure to feeds, had the ramp polished and had fewer failure to feeds lol. Last year I bought an XD-45 and love it. I already had an XD-9 for a few years so I had a good idea what I was getting. Love both of them and have never had any sort of malfunction. They eat every thing I feed them without question and I love the higher capacity. Both are every bit as accurate as I need in a pistol (for longer engagements I'll be working my way to a long gun). For some reason the Springfield XD's just feel right in my hand, more so than my Glocks and any other 1911's I have fired. And that fact can mean all the difference when it comes to accuracy as well as combat functionality.

I think part of the debate between 1911, Glock, and XD is a mater of personal comfort we are all made a bit differently and firearms will feel different in each of our hands so it will be rare that anyone's mind is ever changed on the subject. Thats ok because it is more important that you are comfortable with the firearm and it works well for you than following someone elses idea of what is comfortable and works well for them. I have fired several other 1911's and they were a much better expereince than the Llama, but they were also much much more expensive and the owners had a lot of aftermarket work done on them. My XD's were great right out of the box. I'll just end by saying that if a 1911 feels right to you don't go cheap without a great deal of research.

P.S. Still have the Llama. I never let any firearm go even if it is a poor performer.
im not a big fan of aftermarket parts. like my grandpa always says "the 1911 has always been a very good reliable gun, its when people start adding extra parts and **** to it that things get screwed up"

that being said, im a big fan of the Looks of a Compensator, not much to offer functionally, but it gives it the look of a long slide and i can take it off whenever i want. Guess i watched The Punisher too much.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Experiment 626

Thanked 3,046 Times in 1,084 Posts

After years of carrying a 1911 in the military, I was a firm believer in it and the .45acp. I was highly prejudiced against any glock... until I tested one. I love 1911's, and would always feel well equipped with one. BUT, that being said, my everyday carry is a glock 36. It is as small as the subcompact 1911's and since it is a singlestack magazine, nearly as thin. It has been 100% reliable and I don't have to worry about cleaning and oiling it every week.

Now, before you think that the glock is now my favorite .45, let me tell you about my HK USP .45 Tactical... If I could only keep one handgun, that would be the one. It has a great recoil reduction system, is 100% reliable, has all weather resistance of the glock, has a 12rd magazine, and is threaded for my .45 blackside suppressor.

So the HK USP Tactical is my all time favorite. I like 1911's for the range and glocks for carrying... and the HK for when SHTF.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Trapper

I've had a XD-45, Glock 21SF, Rock Island 1911 Tactical, and have a Kimber TLE/RL currently.

Only thing I didn't like about the XD was the trigger. Had issues with double tapping due to light trigger. Glock 21SF was a timing thing. Liked the gun but without having a external safety (kids in the house) I opted to get rid of it. Loved the mag capacity of the XD and the glock. If I had to get another one I'd get the XD-45 Tactical because of the ergonomics and steel mags.

Had a Rock Island 1911 but sold it to a buddy and kept my G21SF until my youngest was born. Bought a Kimber 1911 and LOVE it. Had a chance to shoot my old Rock Island and my Kimber together and was suprised at the comparability of the two. Now I aint getting rid of my Kimber for a Rock Island but will recommend them to some one that wants a 1911 and just can't afford the big names.

Just my experience and 2 cents worth.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Target Shooter

Does Rock Island make a model of 1911 with the beavertail grip extended slide release and ambi safety and all that stuff? im looking at picking up a 1911 and so far this is the one ive narrowed it down to http://www.americanclassic1911.com/c...-ii-model.html
Old 07-09-2011, 12:32 PM
Target Shooter

I ended up going with a Sig P220. Went into the gun store in search of a .45. The choice came down to either the Sig or a Ruger P89. Both used. The Sig just felt right, and I knew that was the top factor in choosing the right pistol. I have fired probably close to 1000 rds. through it and by now I'm very effective with it.

The pros:
Very accurate. I can cover 5 shots with my hand at 25 yards with 230 ball. Better with handloads.
Very reliable. The only jams that happened were 1 when it was filthy, once with a non-factory mag. Mine won't feed semi wadcutters though. Otherwise it has never let me down.
No external safeties. Just my preference though; they always seem to get in the way for me.

Easily field stripped, which is more than I can say for my friends Kimber Pro Carry.

The cons: Factory mags cost $37.
Semi wadcutters don't load properly as mentiond above. Mine is an older generation, so they may have improved in this area.

I know there is no "perfect" .45, but I like to think mine is pretty darn close.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Experiment 626

Thanked 3,046 Times in 1,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone997 View Post
Does Rock Island make a model of 1911 with the beavertail grip extended slide release and ambi safety and all that stuff? im looking at picking up a 1911 and so far this is the one ive narrowed it down to http://www.americanclassic1911.com/c...-ii-model.html
The good thing about Rock Island 1911's is that they are to spec. You can modify them with parts from other manufacturers as you choose. I paid $350 for a new RIA government model and love it. I bought a stronger recoil spring for it for $12, which eliminates any feeding problems you might have.

Rock Island 1911's are one of the best deals on the market in my opinion.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 102,181 Times in 32,995 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

There's no "best". There are a lot of really good pistols on the market. Whichever one you shoot the best with is your "best." For me, that's a 1911.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2011, 03:24 PM

Two glock 30SF have replaced 1911's. sorry.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,575 Times in 639 Posts

We have 6 45's, 2 1911's that my girl loves so they are hers, 2 S&W 4506's that were my primaries for a long time but are heavy. And lastly 2 G 21's which are now my primaries, Glocks take getting used too I couldn't hit for a damn with them either when I fist got them back in the early 00's. Now I can hit very well with my G21's, more ammo, simpler design, lighter weight, what's not to like but if you can't hit with it, it's worthless. I'm no fanboy and I looked long and hard for a replacement for my 4506's, and a Glock was it, they are the AK's of the handgun world. Tough, simple and they just plain work.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:33 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,034 Times in 798 Posts

1911 fits my hand the best, it feels natural. John Moses Browning gets my vote.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you want a RIA Tactical model.

http://www.m1911.org/ezine/RIATactical.htm

I have a RIA Tactical. But it's the compact model with a 3.5'' barrel. It's been a great little gun.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Rock Island does. Its there tactical model whitch is the one I had. Looks almost like the one your looking at. Check out gunbroker. they usually have several for sale.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:19 PM
Expect No Mercy!

I have a lot of 45 handguns, most all of the major platforms. My most used are the Kimber's, a S&W 1911, and Springfield XD's.
The 1911 shape just fits me, and the XD is higher capacity.
The Glock 21 totally does not fit in any way shape or form of my hand. They are great guns for the folks with large hands.
As for your gun changing sight picture and tracking all over? You can't blame a gun for poor operator function? Also loose the lead ammo and try that.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:59 PM
PaPaKAPture

I have seen a lot of personal bias on a few gun forums I'm on.

For me, it's the Smith & Wesson M&P 45. I wanted a compact, and I will get a compact as soon as I get my conceal carry license.

This is a personal choice IMO. Go put a few in your hand and see how they fit and feel.

Also, IMO, stay away from unknown manufactures. Go with one of the big name pistol companies (Glock, Ruger, S&W, SA, Colt, Sig, etc.).
Old 07-10-2011, 09:04 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckidokie View Post
I have a lot of 45 handguns, most all of the major platforms. My most used are the Kimber's, a S&W 1911, and Springfield XD's.
The 1911 shape just fits me, and the XD is higher capacity.
The Glock 21 totally does not fit in any way shape or form of my hand. They are great guns for the folks with large hands.
As for your gun changing sight picture and tracking all over? You can't blame a gun for poor operator function? Also loose the lead ammo and try that.
if it wont shoot accurately with lead reloads its not of much use to me. all i can afford. as for the sights. thats not operator error. the sight clearly doesnt hold zero, it moves after every shot lol. dont get me wrong it been a great gun, but im just stating flaws.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:17 PM
Kickstand

Thanked 2,452 Times in 438 Posts

My "go everywhere" pistol is the Sig P220. It's an older model, and I've installed both night sights and the LaserMax internal guide rod laser. Laser's not much use, but it does up the "nifty" factor.
The 1911 just has never fit me right...don't know why, it just doesn't. And several years ago, I was looking at the G30, and took my wife to the gun store to show it to her. Well, she liked it enough that she got it instead of me. So, I'll just stick to my P220 and be happy. It feeds and fires everything that I load and cast for it, whether it's round ball FMJ or 200gr SWC's.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:49 PM

Smith-Wesson M&P45 is 10rds legal in all 50 states and is very accurate.

Shoots both jacketed and cast lead bullets just fine.

It does need a trigger kit to get to where an H&K is at, but, from the factory is pretty much on par with the G21 as far as action goes.

Not as simple to take down, but, again, I prefer its trigger over the G21 as well as the grip size.

If I were to pick the most reliable and easy to shoot, it would be the Ruger P90, as its dirt simple to take down. Shoots both single and double action. Built like a tank. Magazines are way overpriced for what you pay, but, talk to an H&K owner if you want to hear stories of overpriced mags.

Just my $.02
Old 07-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Recent Blog:
Happy to be here!

Thanked 8,431 Times in 2,044 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 2

I own and have owned numerous handguns. Where I'm at right now is a toss up between the Glock .40 and Kimber .45 as primary SHTF pistol. I guess we'll just see what my hand comes out of the safe with that fateful day.

If I had to pick a .45...hands down my Kimber. It was given to me by my Father, giving it tremendous sentimental value. I also like the 1911's heritage. It works every time, aims intrinsically, feels right in my hand, is wicked accurate, has a good trigger, and packs plenty of punch. I definitely trust my life to that Kimber.

The Glock also has reliability going for it, and the reassurance of a high round count, although it's about half as accurate as the Kimber. I like that I have a Glock rail light and tritium sights on it too, which may tip the scales for the SHTF choice. The .45 Glock does not fit my hand well, and I choose not to own it for that reason.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WILL For This Useful Post: