Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Food and water
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 09-10-2011, 05:09 AM
Old Git

Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,252 Posts

Advertise Here

One of the very best and affordable suppliers of ceramic filter candles I have used is AVONSOFT in Somerset UK

http://www.avonsoft.com/Treatment/filters/gravity.htm Gravity Filters

http://www.avonsoft.com/Treatment/fi...ndle_specs.htm Filter Elements

The replacement filter elements are very fairly priced
http://www.avonsoft.com/system/index.html

Probably cheaper to buy in the US though cos most things are cheaper there.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:14 PM

Just got two of the Black Berkey filters in this last month from distributor in Colorado, both leaked. Replacements same thing. Guess the issue is still not solved, still never did here where these filters are being made... China?? I had one more question if this base is glued on to the filter if you look how its made the purified water passes over this glue when going out the stem? Very poor design, I feel like I got ripped off, $330 for a water filter that does no good, if the filter leaks at the base what good is the rest of the filter? Are the ceramic filters from Berkfield, Doulton or some other source a better choice to put in my Berkey unit I purchased?
Old 10-23-2011, 10:48 PM

so if there is a bad batch of filters out there, how do we know if we have tem BEFORE we install them and use them for 2 months. Is there a batch number on the filter box ?
Old 10-24-2011, 02:45 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,234 Times in 660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedextech View Post
Guess the issue is still not solved, still never did here where these filters are being made... China??
I believe the black berkey filter candles are made in Texas. The stainless steel canisters are made in India.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:43 PM
Grevcon 10ⓖ & MGM20ⓜ

Thanked 9,021 Times in 3,702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedextech View Post
Just got two of the Black Berkey filters in this last month from distributor in Colorado, both leaked. Replacements same thing. Guess the issue is still not solved, still never did here where these filters are being made... China?? I had one more question if this base is glued on to the filter if you look how its made the purified water passes over this glue when going out the stem? Very poor design, I feel like I got ripped off, $330 for a water filter that does no good, if the filter leaks at the base what good is the rest of the filter? Are the ceramic filters from Berkfield, Doulton or some other source a better choice to put in my Berkey unit I purchased?
I own a filter setup with Doulton Filters. I would give them a A+.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:08 PM
Believe in Yourself

Thanked 4,816 Times in 2,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emergency Water View Post
I apologize for our industry. It is sad when you spend good money for something that doesn't work as it should. I will have a different source for a replacement filter for the current Berkey candle filters sometime in August of 2011. They are being manufactured to the same or better standards of the Berkey candles. If you would like me to tell you when the arrive just send me a e-mail and I will put you on the waiting list for our new quality product. Send it to [email protected] or visit my website and leave me a message on the Contact me page.

Once again I apologize for the poor quality control of this product.
Richard
Owner
www.Emergency-H2O.com
I looked over your site and the filter candles you mentioned I did not see a total gallons they will filter. Also are they made in the USA?
And why the limited time offer? It would be good to know if I like them I can get more?
Thanks
Old 10-24-2011, 04:33 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,272 Times in 544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alergyfree View Post
I looked over your site and the filter candles you mentioned I did not see a total gallons they will filter. Also are they made in the USA?
And why the limited time offer? It would be good to know if I like them I can get more?
Thanks
3000 gallons is what berkey says. I have filters going on three years with alot of life left.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:55 PM
Prepared

Just bought a Big Berkey for daily use to 'clean up' our tap water and expect it to arrive later this week--note that I either didn't see this post or read it long ago and forgot about the reviews... Also bought the black berkey filters(4). Was planning to test it out and then buy some extra black filters for back-up purposes stored in my prep closet.

Based on this post, it sounds like I'd be better off buying the Doulton Ceramic filters for back-ups, as they may not be used for quite some time and I would feel much better knowing that what I have in storage WILL WORK when an emergency presents itself.

Will keep an eye on this post and do some more research on my own.
Thanks!
Old 10-24-2011, 04:56 PM

I'm glad I ran across this thread. I purchased the expensive s/s Berkley 10-12 years ago for emergency use, never opened and still in the box. Guess tomorrow I'll open the box and see if it works before I actually have to depend on it. If memory serves, I think I read about the filter(s) I have that they can be washed, dried and used indefinitely. Does that sound right? Maybe after I open it up to check function I'll order a couple replacement filters. I've always heard Berkley is the "standard" of water filtration.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:33 AM

I checkd mine tonight. 4 black berkey filters in my unit

One was loose and wobbling around. I took it out and pulled lightly on the bottom - it came right off. I looked at the way the glue/sealer had been applied around the bottom plastic cap and it was evident that it had not been applied well - all on one side - and that this unit must have been leaking 'dirty' water into the bottom for some time. I suspect that the others are equally badly sealed, but just have not became so loose yet.

I think I'll change to the Ceradyne (sp) units - Swiss quality ?

I may remove the bottoms from all 4 of my black berkeys and reseal them with the adhesive suggested previously - they will do for backup.

I liked the idea of the black berkey units removing chemicals without the need for carbon (and associated short service life of 6-12 mo before the carbon is infested)

Looks like I will now run one carbon filled filter and just replace it every 6mo.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:36 AM

One other thing that bugs me with these filter systems.

They use tall filter units. This means that the tops of the units filter significantly less water than the bottoms over their lifetime.

Would it not make more sense to have a short wide domed unit that sits on the bottom of the upper bucket ? That way all areas of the filter would see equal use. Seems like a lot of things not too well thought out here - perhaps a market opportnity for a laid off executive to jump on.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:49 AM

here is an economoical system with a dome filter - a little vague on what is inside though :-)

Anyone tried one ?

Any opinions ?

http://shop.monolithic.com/collectio...ic-drip-filter[URL="http://shop.monolithic.com/collections/just-water-filters/products/just-water-ceramic-drip-filter"]
The Following User Says Thank You to Don Davis For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2011, 07:10 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,659 Times in 670 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Davis View Post
I liked the idea of the black berkey units removing chemicals without the need for carbon (and associated short service life of 6-12 mo before the carbon is infested)

Looks like I will now run one carbon filled filter and just replace it every 6mo.
I have found a solution to this problem. First you need a katadyn table top filter. For it you need three filters. Obviously, you can buy them together as a package as opposed to separately.

Now you need some cheap .

Finally, get some bulk activated carbon.

You can drill a small hole in the top of the Gravidyn element's plastic lid. Drill it right in the center. This will allow you to drain the existing carbon and refill it from the bulk you purchased. The Cork can be used to seal the hole when in use. Obviously if your really paranoid you need to make sure when you fill the upper chamber with dirty water that you do not fill it so much it flows over the top of the elements. The cork should keep the water out but just in case you know.

A 50lb bucket of carbon should last you decades. Of course the ceramic filter portion of the element wont last that long. But you can always purchase a spare set. The ceramic filters should filter 30,000 gallons. The carbon should be replaced roughly every 6 months of use.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisInGa For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2011, 07:57 AM
Dog Walker

Items to add to your preps:

Dow Corning 111 silicone lube

Plumbers tape

&
Keg Lub-Petrol Gel Food Grade 4 Oz
http://www.brewersdiscount.com/item153481.ctlg

For all your field plumbing fixes.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:25 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,272 Times in 544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Davis View Post
One other thing that bugs me with these filter systems.

They use tall filter units. This means that the tops of the units filter significantly less water than the bottoms over their lifetime.

Would it not make more sense to have a short wide domed unit that sits on the bottom of the upper bucket ? That way all areas of the filter would see equal use. Seems like a lot of things not too well thought out here - perhaps a market opportnity for a laid off executive to jump on.
The advantage to the tall filters is the total surface area and the ability to put several of them in the same contained for a faster process. You could easily put six of them in a five gallon bucket and 8 to 10 should be doable if your demand requires it.

While looking at the filters will let you see big problems, you really need to fill the top chamber and tint the water with red food coloring. This way if the filter has even a tiny portion that is letting dirty water by, you will see red or pink water in the bottom chamber. I am thinking that an adhesive that is used in fish tanks would be a good replacement for failed filter bases.

Also to add, I do not know of this problem happening to the white filter elements, just the black ones.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:28 AM
Prepared

Wow.....

a device that people are depending on to insure their health and therefore, in a time of disaster, their LIVES, (If you're SICK, you can't fight, build, scout, run, forrage, hunt, etc..etc) and the things are falling apart....

I'm in the process of rebuilding our water purifying program and will NOT be including Berkey in the deal. Glad i saw all this before the fact.

A bad run just doesn't clear it up as far as i'm concerned. What about the zillions of folks that have these filters and may not see this info, and aren't aware aware of the problems, then BLAM...the need comes for pure water and they are drinking crap that gets sucked in through a faulty filter.

Just Sayin'

Maybe i'm being a little tough on the company, but For the price of these things, and the proclaimed quality of a possible life saving and/or maintaining device, this problem shouldn't happen. Just my opinion. This is a serious deal.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vanillagorilla For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2011, 09:55 AM
Cranky Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillagorilla View Post
Wow.....

a device that people are depending on to insure their health and therefore, in a time of disaster, their LIVES, (If you're SICK, you can't fight, build, scout, run, forrage, hunt, etc..etc) and the things are falling apart....

I'm in the process of rebuilding our water purifying program and will NOT be including Berkey in the deal. Glad i saw all this before the fact.

A bad run just doesn't clear it up as far as i'm concerned. What about the zillions of folks that have these filters and may not see this info, and aren't aware aware of the problems, then BLAM...the need comes for pure water and they are drinking crap that gets sucked in through a faulty filter.

Just Sayin'

Maybe i'm being a little tough on the company, but For the price of these things, and the proclaimed quality of a possible life saving and/or maintaining device, this problem shouldn't happen. Just my opinion. This is a serious deal.

VG,

I agree with you completely. How many have Berkey filter systems and don't know if they work properly? I'm one of those people. I bought mine for emergency purposes only. Nice thing is I have a Sawyer as a backup.

But if my Berkey doesn't work properly when needed, it might be to late due to sickness caused by a faulty filter.

Maybe Berkey needs to get their act together, then offer replacement filters (backup filters) for a really good price until this issue is resolved.

To bad one needs to pay more for proper filters, but to me it may be worth it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Elmo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Believe in Yourself

Double post
Old 10-25-2011, 10:10 AM
Believe in Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEPER View Post
3000 gallons is what berkey says. I have filters going on three years with alot of life left.
I was not referring to berkery

Originally Posted by Emergency Water View Post
I apologize for our industry. It is sad when you spend good money for something that doesn't work as it should. I will have a different source for a replacement filter for the current Berkey candle filters sometime in August of 2011. They are being manufactured to the same or better standards of the Berkey candles. If you would like me to tell you when the arrive just send me a e-mail and I will put you on the waiting list for our new quality product. Send it to [email protected] or visit my website and leave me a message on the Contact me page.

Again

Thanks
Old 10-25-2011, 11:19 AM

A couple of problems with this theory though - the more candles you put in the bucket, the less room for water. Also, by the time the top bucket is half empty your surface area for filtering is down to 50%. And you still have the problem of the top of the filters being used much less than the bottoms. A noce large dome in the bottom solves the problems and you still get 1 gallon per hour capacity. The cheap dome filters I linked to above are a mere $20 or a lttle over - plastic buckets are cheaper than candles. If youwant greater flow rate / production, just have several systems running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEPER View Post
The advantage to the tall filters is the total surface area and the ability to put several of them in the same contained for a faster process. You could easily put six of them in a five gallon bucket and 8 to 10 should be doable if your demand requires it.

While looking at the filters will let you see big problems, you really need to fill the top chamber and tint the water with red food coloring. This way if the filter has even a tiny portion that is letting dirty water by, you will see red or pink water in the bottom chamber. I am thinking that an adhesive that is used in fish tanks would be a good replacement for failed filter bases.

Also to add, I do not know of this problem happening to the white filter elements, just the black ones.